PDA

View Full Version : Screaming Banshee Horn

haildamage
30-03-13, 11:05 PM
put a "Full Banshee Horn System (Black)" on my scoot today. the banshee is similar to the well know Stebel airhorn but the banshee system allows you to keep the original horn and use it for a quick friendly beep, but if you hold down the horn button for more than a 1/4 second the banshee screams and the headlight flashes the high beam.

http://screaming-banshee.com/

http://screaming-banshee.com/full-banshee-horn-system-black-horn-2.html

DDT Rider
01-04-13, 07:35 AM
I've been interested in this. I saw they had an all in one system I development...

haildamage
01-04-13, 11:56 AM
yeah, i bought one all in one system in a group buy and wsth i had bought two of the original instead. it is 119dB as opposed to 139dB for the original. anybody wanna buy my all in one horn for 8000 yen plus shipping?

DDT Rider
07-09-13, 11:28 AM
Now that live had this for most of the year (if its still on your bike) how do you like it...?

Twinrider
07-09-13, 12:54 PM
I've got twin Piaas bought off Amazon for 3800 yen. The bike now sounds like a huge SUV, definitely works as intended. Able to briefly tap it for a more gentle warning...

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0058FZZHA/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

haildamage
07-09-13, 07:52 PM
i really love it. it is nice to have the two options and when the banshee screams cagers seem to think they are about to hit a bus and really react!

DDT Rider
08-09-13, 05:50 AM
I was thinking of getting one for the punitive power it wields. My hesitation has lingered due to space and electrical considerations.

haildamage
08-09-13, 10:32 AM
its a good idea to look into where to mount it before getting one. you can see where people are mounting stebel airhorns as they are the same size.

not sure what your power concerns are. the banshee on my 125cc scooter gets the most use and power hasnt been an issue.

DDT Rider
09-09-13, 09:47 AM
Cheers on the follow up...

My local shop is pretty competent...if I end up getting one of these and have more $ than time, I'll let them do the install.

Fair enough on the power...it's more an issue of my fuse box (PDM60?)...I'd like to route it through there, but my individual circuits are limited to 15A max and I've heard some other users say the draw on the Banshee peaks at closer to 20A...so often causes circuit faults. What size fuze do you have on that circuit?

Anyway, thanks again, you've moved me closer to an acquisition ;>

Twinrider
09-09-13, 10:42 AM

It's only a horn FFS, just buy the damn thing already... :icon_lol:

haildamage
09-09-13, 02:50 PM

My local shop is pretty competent...if I end up getting one of these and have more $ than time, I'll let them do the install.

Fair enough on the power...it's more an issue of my fuse box (PDM60?)...I'd like to route it through there, but my individual circuits are limited to 15A max and I've heard some other users say the draw on the Banshee peaks at closer to 20A...so often causes circuit faults. What size fuze do you have on that circuit?

i never opened up the fuse to see what it is. i am sure you could ask them. they are very good with customer service in my experience. i would just hook it straight to the battery if it were me.

the tricky part with these is finding a good place and way to mount it. i bet the wiring part might be the same as the F800GS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htwtzaco_b4

DDT Rider
09-09-13, 03:14 PM
Cheers...I love the solid state fuse unit I have...I can send it back to make it user programmable...nice feature, but the send back sucks.

rider2371
09-09-13, 03:21 PM
Does anyone know the max legal noise level for a horn in Japan?

Twinrider
09-09-13, 03:25 PM

You seem to know a lot about Japan, why would you worry about this? ;>

Mike Cash
09-09-13, 04:42 PM

Google does

道路運送車両法の保安基準 第43条

(警音器)
第四十三条  自動車(被牽引自動車を除く。)には、警音器を備えなければならない。
2  警音器の警報音発生装置は、次項に定める警音器の性能を確保できるものとして、音色、音量等に関し告示で 定める基準に適合するものでなければならない。
3  自動車の警音器は、警報音を発生することにより他の交通に警告することができ、かつ、その警報音が他の交 通を妨げないものとして、音色、音量等に関し告示で定める基準に適合するものでなければならな い。
4  自動車(緊急自動車を除く。)には、車外に音を発する装置であつて警音器と紛らわしいものを備えてはなら ない。ただし、歩行者の通行その他の交通の危険を防止するため自動車が右左折、進路の変更若しくは後退する ときにその旨を歩行者等に警報するブザその他の装置又は盗難、車内における事故その他の緊急事態が発生した 旨を通報するブザその他の装置については、この限りでない。

使用過程にある自動車の保安基準の細目を定める告示(警音器)
第219条 警音器の警報発生装置の音色、音量等に関し、保安基準第43条第2項の告示で定める基準は、警 音器の警報音発生装置の音が、連続するものであり、かつ、音の大きさ及び音色が一定なものであることとする 。

2 警音器の音色、音量等に関し、保安基準第43条第3項の告示で定める基準は、次の各号に掲げる基準とす る。
(1)警音器の音の大きさ(2以上の警音器が連動して音を発する場合は、その和)は、自動車の前方7mの位 置において112dB以下93dB以上(動力が7kw以下の二輪自動車に備える警音器にあっては、112d B以下83dB以上)であること。
(2)警音器は、サイレン又は鐘でないこと。

haildamage
09-09-13, 05:01 PM
Google does

道路運送車両法の保安基準 第43条

(警音器)
3  自動車の警音器は、警報音を発生することにより他の交通に警告することができ、かつ、その警報音が他の交 通を妨げないものとして、音色、音量等に関し告示で定める基準に適合するものでなければならな い。
4  自動車(緊急自動車を除く。)には、車外に音を発する装置であつて警音器と紛らわしいものを備えてはなら ない。ただし、歩行者の通行その他の交通の危険を防止するため自動車が右左折、進路の変更若しくは後退する ときにその旨を歩行者等に警報するブザその他の装置又は盗難、車内における事故その他の緊急事態が発生した 旨を通報するブザその他の装置については、この限りでない。

第219条 警音器の警報発生装置の音色、音量等に関し、保安基準第43条第2項の告示で定める基準は、警 音器の警報音発生装置の音が、連続するものであり、かつ、音の大きさ及び音色が一定なものであることとする 。

(1)警音器の音の大きさ(2以上の警音器が連動して音を発する場合は、その和)は、自動車の前方7mの位 置において112dB以下93dB以上(動力が7kw以下の二輪自動車に備える警音器にあっては、112d B以下83dB以上)であること。
(2)警音器は、サイレン又は鐘でないこと。

what is it? 112dB?

the banshee is about equal to but not louder than bus or dump truck horns based on my unscientific observations!

Mike Cash
09-09-13, 05:02 PM
Not more than 112 at 7m from the front of the vehicle.

waruta
09-09-13, 05:42 PM
Just keep the stock horn handy for Shaken time. I couldn't fit the air horn in the stock mounting location so I left the old one there and all I had to do was unplug the wires from the relay and plug them into the stock horn to pass the test.

Guy Jinbaiquerre
09-09-13, 05:50 PM
Not more than 112 at 7m from the front of the vehicle.

The Japanese-made Mitsuba Proud Horn I got for my GS is rated at 113db. Passed shaken, no problem. I guess by the time you get 7m away, it sounds like 112?

http://i.imgur.com/67D1QMU.jpg

Definitely loud enough to get a driver's attention, in my experience. I like the idea of having a sonic death ray on my bike, but 113db seems to get the job done.

Twinrider
09-09-13, 05:53 PM
This is starting to remind me of the thread where some posters were fretting over whether they'd get pulled for wearing an import helmet lacking the JIS sticker. In all the years of doing shaken on a multitude of vehicles I have never had them once stand in front of my car/bike with an SLM to check the horn. One toot and they're happy. And they're usually on the side or behind the car/bike...

Mike Cash
09-09-13, 05:55 PM
The Japanese-made Mitsuba Proud Horn I got for my GS is rated at 113db. Passed shaken, no problem. I guess by the time you get 7m away, it sounds like 112?

http://i.imgur.com/67D1QMU.jpg

Definitely loud enough to get a driver's attention, in my experience. I like the idea of having a sonic death ray on my bike, but 113db seems to get the job done.

You bought the Spinal Tap horn that goes to eleven.

rider2371
09-09-13, 06:02 PM
You seem to know a lot about Japan, why would you worry about this? ;>

Not worrying per se :D Just curious if anyone knew.

Guy Jinbaiquerre
09-09-13, 06:06 PM
This is starting to remind me of the thread where some posters were fretting over whether they'd get pulled for wearing an import helmet lacking the JIS sticker. In all the years of doing shaken on a multitude of vehicles I have never had them once stand in front of my car/bike with an SLM to check the horn. One toot and they're happy. And they're usually on the side or behind the car/bike...I assume with that one toot, the shaken inspectors are "playing it by ear". 139db might be noticeably too loud for them, even without using an SLM.

rider2371
09-09-13, 06:06 PM
Call it impractical, even stupid, but I kinda like what this guy did.

TR, my previous question came to me after I watched this, thinking one would probably get pulled by a cop with a horn like this (not so much a question about Shaken).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ0Jrc05rIo

Guy Jinbaiquerre
09-09-13, 06:07 PM
You bought the Spinal Tap horn that goes to eleven.It's one louder, innit?

haildamage
09-09-13, 06:51 PM
with the banshee, if you hold it down for less than 1/4 second you get a beep from the stock horn, more than that you get the banshee. if you disconnect power to the banshee, you only get the stock horn, so it is easy enough to disable if you want for shaken.

V-Twister
10-09-13, 07:20 PM

I'm not sure what size the fuse is, but the power to the Banshee horn comes directly from the battery, and it has its own inline fuse. The controller unit is connected to the ignition circuit and the original horn, and when it detects the long press, it switches the direct connection to the Banshee on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

V-Twister
10-09-13, 07:22 PM
I assume with that one toot, the shaken inspectors are "playing it by ear". 139db might be noticeably too loud for them, even without using an SLM.

Simple to disconnect the horn lead to the battery, but yes, that was my experience. A short toot was enough - none the wiser, ha, ha!

V-Twister
10-09-13, 07:33 PM
Google does

道路運送車両法の保安基準 第43条

(警音器)

(2)警音器は、サイレン又は鐘でないこと。

Not sure whether it is stated here or not, but I heard it is actually illegal to simply sound your horn to get someone out of the way in case you startle someone into causing an accident. It has to be a real emergency situation. Of course you have to sound your horn when there is a sign, such as on a blind corner. Can anyone confirm this?

Mike Cash
10-09-13, 08:18 PM
Not sure whether it is stated here or not, but I heard it is actually illegal to simply sound your horn to get someone out of the way in case you startle someone into causing an accident. It has to be a real emergency situation. Of course you have to sound your horn when there is a sign, such as on a blind corner. Can anyone confirm this?

It is covered under a different law, but you are correct. The offense is 警音器使用制限違反 and the fine is 3,000 yen.

The relevant section of the Road Traffic Law follows:

第五十四条 車両等(自転車以外の軽車両を除く。以下この条において同じ)の運転者は、次の各号に掲げる場 合においては、警音器を鳴らさなければならない。
一 左右の見とおしのきかない交差点、見とおしのきかない道路のまがりかど又は見とおしのきかない上り坂の 頂上で道路標識等により指定された場所を通行しようとするとき。
二 山地部の道路その他曲折が多い道路について道路標識等により指定された区問における左右の見とおしのき かない交差点、見とおしのきかない道路のまがりかど又は見とおしのきかない上り坂の頂上を通行しようとする とき。
2 車両等の運転者は、法令の規定により警音器を鳴らさなければならないこととされている場合を除き、警音 器を鳴らしてはならない。ただし、危険を防止するためやむを得ないときは、この限りでない。
(罰則 第一項については第百二十条第一項第八号〔五万円以下の罰金〕、同条第二項〔五万円以下の罰金〕第 二項については第百二十一条第一項第六号〔二万円以下の罰金又は科料〕)

Basically tells you when you are obligated to sound your horn and says you are prohibited from sounding your horn in any other situation, except where it is unavoidable in order to prevent a dangerous situation.

NorthbyNW
10-09-13, 10:52 PM
The relevant section of the Road Traffic Law follows:
Basically tells you when you are obligated to sound your horn and says you are prohibited from sounding your horn in any other situation, except where it is unavoidable in order to prevent a dangerous situation.
As for the where and when you MUST sound your horn, a rough and ready translation of the details (cost you nothing and easily worth twice as much :001_tongue:):

Article 54 Operators of vehicles, etc. (except lightweight vehicles other than bicycles; hereinafter the same applies in this article) must sound a warning horn in the following cases:。
(i) When passing through an intersection with poor visibility to left and right, a bend in the road with poor visibility or the crest of a hill with poor visibility that has been designated with a road marker, etc.
(ii) When passing through an intersection with poor visibility to left and right, a bend in the road with poor visibility or the crest of a hill with poor visibility on a mountain road or other zone that has been designated with a road marker, etc. indicating a road with a lot of twists and turns.
2 Operators of vehicles, etc. must not sound a warning horn except in cases where they are required to sound a warning under the provisions of laws and regulations; provided, however, that this shall not apply if sounding a warning is unavoidable to prevent danger.

rider2371
10-09-13, 11:07 PM

Whenever I sound my horn, it is always unavoidable because I have to prevent a dangerous situation.

I love when the law includes an exception and fails to include specific detailed enumerated criteria to qualify the scope of that exception.

Twinrider
10-09-13, 11:16 PM
Yup, like the no riding bicycles on sidewalks law except where permitted or *if you feel it's dangerous not to.*