PDA

View Full Version : Shoei & Arai helmet shapes: US/EU vs JP

rider2371
28-11-14, 02:58 PM
Has anyone previously bought Shoei (and/or Arai) helmets both in Japan and outside Japan? I know overseas models are shaped more oval or longer front to back than the round shapes sold in Japan, but I'm wondering how big of a difference that is. Basically, I'm looking to get a dual sport helmet (Shoei Hornet DS or maybe Arai XD4 / Tour-X4) and would appreciate some advice regarding helmet shapes. By Revzilla's head shape definition (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-helmet-guide), I think my head is an intermediate oval shape.

I've owned street helmets from Shoei (bought in Japan) but never from Arai. Whenever I'm in the market for a new helmet, Arai never seems to fit my head shape, it's simply too round and hurts my forehead. My size in Shoei is XL (both in X-TWELVE and Neotec), which is a good but not perfect fit. The Shoei still grabs my head from front and back, but not as much as the Arai. If you place my head on a clock facing right, as in my nose points to 3 o'clock, the Shoei helmet give me mild pressure points at 1 o'clock (higher part of my forehead) and 10 o'clock (back of my head), whereas I don't feel pressure on the left/right sides of my skull, which suggest that even the JP version of Shoei is rounder than my head.

So, my question is, if I decide to get a Shoei Hornet DS from overseas (Revzilla, FC-Moto), knowing that it will be longer front to back, should I order an L size for a snug fit, or just get the same XL size I've been using.

Markw
28-11-14, 03:32 PM
I currently have a Shoei VFX-W. Domestic model Shoei don't work for me (a lot of pressure on my forehead and I can get my hands up the sides). US model Shoei is a perfect fit alround. My head shape is oval. I've purchased other Shoei models in the past in Japan and I had to modify all of them to fit (compress the front foam in). Now I just order from overseas...

Markw
28-11-14, 03:36 PM
Regarding US size, I would measure round your head using a tape measure and order based on that. Shoei XL is typically 61~62cm I think. If you're smaller than this get the L size...

Doug68
28-11-14, 03:49 PM
I've bought Arai's in Australia (1 off), UK (1 off) and Japan (3 off) the last of them here was a RX-7 RR5 and this is the only one where the fit hasn't been perfect from the get go. There were a couple of pressure point on my forehead, but with a bit of bedding in its just fine now so personally I don't think the differences are that great.
Bearing mind of course that even in one country Arai I believe has 2 different head shapes in the different helmets i.e. the Astro may fit differently to the RX-7 RR5 regardless of whether you are here or the USA or wherever.

I'd recommend this place for Arai I've bought from there before, I believe the shop may actually be owned by them, so custom fit etc. may be possible, they certainly have had the best choice of any Arai stockist I've seen on the planet.

http://upc.ne.jp/shop/

As for Shoei's every single one I've ever tried hurts my head, in whatever country I've tried them.

Guy Jinbaiquerre
28-11-14, 03:53 PM
For an oval shape, you want the Arai Signet-Q, made specially for the Western market. It's the only helmet I've ever had that fits me perfectly.

racer162
28-11-14, 04:08 PM
I've bought Shoei helmets in the states and here and never an issue for me. That being said when I got my lid here in japan I did order the thicker pads for it.