PDA

View Full Version : Need advice: Jump-Starter Trickle-Charger air-pump

ascanio1
16-02-15, 01:21 AM
Hi guys,

I am shopping for a jump-starter with these characteristics:
1) Good quality;
2) 300A crank (but more is better);
3) Air pump w/ good quality valve-clip (or valve connector) and reasonably long hose;
4) Inbuilt/internal adapter/charger with intelligent auto-charge (no-load) instead of a separate adapter/charger: keep the jump starter always plugged in the mains & ready. Forget manually charging it every 3 months or so.
5) Car battery charger with intelligent, no-load, trickle charging.

Any advice?

Tommaso

rider2371
16-02-15, 03:16 PM
You mean a single device that does everything you mentioned? Sorry, I've never heard of such thing, but I'm interested to know if you find one.

ascanio1
16-02-15, 08:59 PM
Yep. A single device that does all that. A jump-starter is nothing more than a battery which, itself too, needs to be kept charged. Many jump-starters have auto-charging (and air compressors). Any jump-starter with the auto-recharge function must have a built-in trickle/float-cahrger for tis own batttery and there is no reason why that same trickle/float-charger unit cannot be used to also maintain another, external, battery.

Markw
16-02-15, 10:36 PM
If you use a battery tender (a trickle charger) you shouldn't ever need to use a jump starter for the lifetime of the battery should you?

ascanio1
17-02-15, 12:28 AM
No. Not necessarily.

Even batteries which have been properly maintained with a trickle charger can suddenly die on you after a few years and I prefer to be prepared if/when that happens. Besides, I have 3 bikes and a car and I can't foresee what will happen, can I? So I need exactly what I said: a trickle-charger + jump-starter (and if possible also air compressor). I saw one in a garage in Hakone a few years ago but I can't remember the brand. It had 2 sets of cables coming out of it: one with crocodile clamps and the other one had a polarity protector connector which (I presume) had the other end with rings attached to a car battery.

... I can't t see what's the fuss about. Anyway, if anyone knows where I can find one in Japan I would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Markw
17-02-15, 07:38 AM
No. Not necessarily. Even batteries which have been properly maintained with a trickle charger can suddenly die on you after a few years

That's why I said for the lifetime of the battery. If a well maintained battery dies after years of use it indicates that it's probably reached the end of it's life (or has a high parasitic load left on it).

Anyway back to your search, I've only seen jump starters which integrate a compressor and other gimmicky functions like USB chargers. I haven't seen any with trickle chargers.

If you're looking for quality equipment, which you can depend on for years of use, I think you'd do a lot better not getting an all in one unit. I.e purchase a Jump starter, a smart charger (I can highly recommend the CTEK MUS 4.3 which I have) and a tire compressor. I know this is probably not the feedback you're looking for...

rider2371
17-02-15, 12:09 PM
If you're looking for quality equipment, which you can depend on for years of use, I think you'd do a lot better not getting an all in one unit. I.e purchase a Jump starter, a smart charger (I can highly recommend the CTEK MUS 4.3 which I have) and a tire compressor. I know this is probably not the feedback you're looking for...

I agree with this. I've gotten longer operation life out of devices with single function, than with multifunction devices.

rider2371
17-02-15, 12:12 PM
Perhaps something like this?

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/wich/jumpstarter-sb/

Or

http://www.amazon.com/Wagan-900-Battery-Jumper-Compressor/dp/B00167TYHQ

Not sure how closely these fit your requirements, but I'll leave it to you to confirm the details.

ascanio1
17-02-15, 01:13 PM
Markw & rider...

your consideration is - in fact - correct. Dedicated devices usually perform better and every all-in-one air compressor unit which I saw, so far, was pretty lousy.

Having said that, I have a lovely wife to whom I couldn't possibly ask to endure - again - the hassle of spring cleaning (in mid-winter) all by herself, toiling in the cold, while I was away on a business trip!!! My adorable better half dirtied her delicate hands with greasy old, premium race synthetic lubricants, first quality chain greases, glues... the lot! She also scratched her beautiful and delicate nails which required 2 extra sessions of manicure... my sweetie cleaned up tons of "garbage" and "junk": o-rings, washers, nuts, bolts, spare heat-shields, foam, metal wire, bi-adhesive tape, rubber strips, metal stays...!

In short, I'm only allowed one piece of "junk" lying around in the garage. That's the reason why I'm shopping for an all in one (if you're married you can understand me, if not... just wait until you're married). :icon_evil:

rider2371
17-02-15, 01:24 PM
Having said that, I have a lovely wife to whom I couldn't possibly ask to endure - again - the hassle of spring cleaning (in mid-winter) all by herself, toiling in the cold, while I was away on a business trip!!! My adorable better half dirtied her delicate hands with greasy old, premium race synthetic lubricants, first quality chain greases, glues... the lot! She also scratched her beautiful and delicate nails which required 2 extra sessions of manicure... my sweetie cleaned up tons of "garbage" and "junk": o-rings, washers, nuts, bolts, spare heat-shields, foam, metal wire, bi-adhesive tape, rubber strips, metal stays...!

In short, I'm only allowed one piece of "junk" lying around in the garage. That's the reason why I'm shopping for an all in one (if you're married you can understand me, if not... just wait until you're married). :icon_evil:

I can think of so many off-topic responses to this, but I'll just say that I really hope you find this one piece of "junk" and be happily married ever after :icon_wink:

Are the links I posted any close to what you're looking for?

Guy Jinbaiquerre
17-02-15, 01:28 PM
I'm the first person to say that marriage brings with it compromise and sacrifice. But you are getting a raw deal. What's the point of a garage if you can't keep your bike/car equipment in it?

Try organizing and cleaning up the garage yourself, and put everything away nice and neat. (You really should be doing this anyway. Who wants somebody else going through all his stuff?) Maybe then your wife will be cool with more than one piece of equipment (not "junk"!) in there. If not, tell her she can only have one pair of shoes or one handbag, and I'll bet she changes her tune. :icon_wink:

Japanviking
17-02-15, 01:34 PM
I keep all my stuff in home center plastic boxes. Keeps my stuff organized and a lot more tidy than having piles of parts and tools everywhere.

ascanio1
17-02-15, 01:46 PM
I can think of so many off-topic responses to this, but I'll just say that I really hope you find this one piece of "junk" and be happily married ever after :icon_wink: Are the links I posted any close to what you're looking for?
Yes they are close. Thank you. In fact those are the kind which I have been looking at so far...

I really want a trickle charger too... as Markw pointed out batteries last so much longer if you look after them and I really want to try to keep at least one of my "useless and always idle bikes which never work when I want to use them and that therefore I should sell them to buy a better car so that the baby can be more comfortable" with a good battery.

Now I am looking at this possible solution http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-Electric-SE-1-12S-1-5-Amp-Maintainer/dp/B00448LI5A/ref=sr_1_18?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1424148183&sr=1-18&keywords=Maintainer. It goes under the seat and leaves only a protruding AC110V cord which I could easily connect to the mains. I'm not too sure it's safe...

ascanio1
17-02-15, 01:58 PM
... If not, tell her she can only have one pair of shoes or one handbag, and I'll bet she changes her tune. :icon_wink:Yep, I'm sure she would change tune! She'd sing a new song called: "I want divorce, now!!!" :icon_lol:

Jokes apart, I would so much prefer it if you could stick to technical, rather than marital, advice. I'm perfectly good at making my own mistakes with my wife without advice from friends! :001_rolleyes: But, since I don't want to seem rude, I will explain the whole story which I tried to avoid doing as it's way OT. But... here it is: my wife is right because our garage space is limited and shared with other tenants. My "junk" forced her to park her bicycle off the property (even though there is lots of space) because our landlord is an A**-H**** who won't let anything protrude more than the width of a car, there must be 130cm of space from the back wall and nothing can be parked in front of the cars. Don't get me started: we would need a new thread, no a whole new forum, to talk about local obsession with order and lack of pragmatism/common-sense. In short: there is not enough space to keep 3 bikes + cases and/or tool-boxes + bicycles. I had used up all my allotted space so the bicycle had to go in the street, at the mercy of bad whether and thieves. In the end, it got stolen! So trashing all my "junk" was the least my wife could do after her battery assisted, 150,000 yen bicycle got nicked.

Fancy that for the privilege of living in tidy and orderly Japan... ?
:icon_mad:

So, please, I don't need any more salt in the wound... http://www.gaijinriders.com/images/smilies/sad.gif just help me to find the bl**dy device which I ask for!!! :001_rolleyes:

Smiles!

Markw
17-02-15, 02:27 PM
Time to rent some secret garage space?

ascanio1
17-02-15, 02:55 PM
... not very convenient but... it's in the plans! ApexMoto in Yamanashi. In Tokyo it would be way more expensive than simply buying an all-in-one jump-starter/compressor/charger!