PDA

View Full Version : HIDs

cmac
23-03-08, 11:45 PM
xenonrider.com (http://www.xenonrider.com/products/h4_xenon_hid_kits.shtml) They are meant to provide 3 times more light, run much cooler, last 10 times longer and use less power. There are 2 options available. a single headlight or dual headlight kit. I got the dual for the FZ1.

Finally got these HIDs hooked up and put them through a test ride with heavy fog, light and heavy rain, plenty bugs, -5C to +18C, high speed and of course twisties in the dark. Performed very well. Especially good at lighting things up way in the distance, road signs/markers, cats eyes etc..
Went for the 6000k giving a slight blue tinge to a very white light.
Haven't had any complaints from other road users yet. Including those I've ridden with. After 5hrs of night riding the eyes didn't seem as fatigued as usual either. They light up the nooks and crannies better and don't keep your eyes hunting in the shadows.
Took about 2hrs to install cleanly.
Excellent customer service from Joseph at xenonrider.com

All good news? Not quite.
The dual kit runs off of one headlight socket. So you'll need to tape up the other.
The cabling is designed for a car and leaves you with a spare 1.5metres on the right side to cut-back or coil up. I coiled up.
The 1st few times, after the initial break-in, only one light would fire on start up. A quick turn-off and on and they would both come on. Now both are good to go 1st time everytime.
The controller needs to be mounted in a water free location. Difficult on some bikes and a tight fit under the airbox on mine.
Low beam is great and more than adequate for every riding situation. But I thought I'd try out the highs on a long straight stretch across a valley. The lows were lighting up the cat's eyes off into the distance but couldn't make out the distant peripherals. So flick over to highs and lost all peripherals in the immediate 1-200m ahead. Had just seen a deer sign and thought better to switch back to lows. They did shine pretty far down the road though. Probably good for outback or open plain riding.

A definite improvement for night time riding and a good price $270US with the slim ballasts and postage.

Twinrider
24-03-08, 12:06 AM
Cool that you could get the lighting sorted. I need to do something about my GS. Last night's ride made me realize how crap the stock headlight is.

What made you go for the 6000? Everything I've read said that they put out 20% percent less lumens than the 4300's.

cmac
24-03-08, 12:18 AM
Yeah I read the 5000+ doesn't flare up on yellow, orange or red road/tail-light reflectors as badly as the lower ones which are closer to the yellow spectrum. Little difficult to say as I haven't compared them. I do suffer from tired eyes on long rides though and the last long one wasn't as bad as usual.

Twinrider
24-03-08, 01:24 AM
Btw, I noticed you got the dual HID. Did you go back to the stock FZ1 headlight?

cmac
24-03-08, 11:04 AM
Yep she's got her face back on as well as some other nice additions.
The naked was a blast but only good for shorter rides. Gearing up for the touring season so needed some wind/rain protection. The naked had the rain hitting the chest and going south from there. Not nice. Will probably switch back to naked after the rainy season though.

Twinrider
24-03-08, 01:36 PM
Is it going to be easy to swap back and forth with the HIDs and all?

What other nice additions did you make? :razz:

theDude
24-03-08, 01:39 PM
So do HIDs draw less current than normal ones? What I've read on this thread is that they do, but I did hear the opposite from somebody. :?:

Twinrider
24-03-08, 01:57 PM
So do HIDs draw less current than normal ones? What I've read on this thread is that they do, but I did hear the opposite from somebody. :?:

Most HIDs draw 35 watts as opposed to halogens' 55-60w draw. There are 55W hids now that are really bright.

theDude
24-03-08, 01:59 PM

Twinrider
24-03-08, 02:55 PM
Start-up actually requires more power to fire up the HID but once that's done the power draw drops down dramatically. Here's what one site writes.

HID lights are able to provide greater light output with less power consumption. Studies show that a 35 Watt HID lamp produced 3 times as much light compared to a 55-Watt halogen bulb. Also, the 55 Watt halogen bulb uses a continuous power draw of 10-15 amps, while the HID system uses 20 for start-ups but drops to a mere 3 amps during operation. In addition to high output and low power usage, your HID headlight provide a longer service life. Under normal driving conditions, the bulbs will last approximately 4 years (3000 hours). That's up to 4 times as long as an ordinary halogen lamp.

cmac
24-03-08, 03:47 PM
They draw more on start up but once running they are real frugal. That may have been the initial problem with the single light firing. A bedding in thing maybe. I was running the heated glove/jacket combo, powerboard for phone-ipod and the ETC and there were no problems. I didn't connect the heated gear until the bike was fired up though to avoid any problems.

New additions. R1 radiator and fans, Stainmesh front brake lines, new yammy screen, some engine mods ;) , LED front winkers/tailight, nice bars and mirrors, carbon front fender and some sliders. Tomorrow, new tyres-pilotroad2.
Looking into forward touring peg options next.

Twinrider
24-03-08, 06:08 PM
New additions. R1 radiator and fans, Stainmesh front brake lines, new yammy screen, some engine mods ;) , LED front winkers/tailight, nice bars and mirrors, carbon front fender and some sliders. Tomorrow, new tyres-pilotroad2.

Sounds like you're set 8) What's up with the R1 radiator/fans? Stock items weren't working well?

This winter I did a few mods to the TDM as well. Added an LED tail/brake light to free up a few amps of juice. Didn't bother with the winkers since they're off most of the time but did pimp them out with clear lenses :razz: Also added a bike ETC and Givi side racks. At the end of the month I'll pick up a set of newly released Givi panniers. Slim 20cm width but still hold 36 liters each. Baffled the Akrapovic cans. Now they sound perfect.

The GS got an Ohlins rear shock, Race Tech fork internals, hand guards, bike ETC, higher screen for winter and an LED tail/brake light. Will also be able to use the same Givi panniers on it as well. Now only the headlight left to sort.

Jav2
24-03-08, 06:32 PM

Sounds like you're set 8) What's up with the R1 radiator/fans? Stock items weren't working well?

This winter I did a few mods to the TDM as well. Added an LED tail/brake light to free up a few amps of juice. Didn't bother with the winkers since they're off most of the time but did pimp them out with clear lenses :razz: Also added a bike ETC and Givi side racks. At the end of the month I'll pick up a set of newly released Givi panniers. Slim 20cm width but still hold 36 liters each. Baffled the Akrapovic cans. Now they sound perfect.

The GS got an Ohlins rear shock, Race Tech fork internals, hand guards, bike ETC, higher screen for winter and an LED tail/brake light. Will also be able to use the same Givi panniers on it as well. Now only the headlight left to sort.

Sounds like it's time to sell them....................................... :razz:

Jav

cmac
24-03-08, 09:12 PM

Well,the original got pretty banged up in the crash and one of the outlet pipes was a nightmare waiting to happen. Also, in summer the fans came on almost immediately at every stop light providing a drum-stick baking experience. So I did some FZ1surfing and found select models of R1 radiators were swapable. Also the mod kept it cooler for longer at stops. It was a win-win situation. Was a bit worried in the snow-cooled mountains when the temp wouldn't get above 73deg. Highway cruising has it between 70 and 75deg. 8)
New FZ1 radiator with fans about 11brown ones. 2000km old R1 unit with fans and stone screen 3 brown ones.

Twinrider
24-03-08, 11:06 PM
The radiator mod sounds like a good 'un. My old FZ1 used to roast me in summer.