PDA

View Full Version : Buying local

Twinrider
19-08-08, 12:21 PM
Some of you might remember that when I got an HID conversion for my F650GS I decided against buying a cheap overseas kit because the bike's only got one headlight and reliability was paramount. So I bought a made in Japan Solam kit.

Well, yesterday on the way back from Tochigi my HID headlight died :bad-words: This morning I phoned Solam at 9:30am and by 10:15 they were working on the bike at their office. Turned out the bulb was defective and had leaked its gas out. By 11:30 I was home again with a new bulb installed :bday:

They say the chances of it happening twice are nil. Warranty is good till next April so I'm keeping my fingers crossed :lol:

MidnightRun
20-08-08, 03:09 PM
I have a friend who put HIDs on his ZX-10R. He had problems with them (despite them being local product). Could be all the wheelies he does... :-k

Twinrider
20-08-08, 03:48 PM
I had ridden on a rindo that was pretty rough in spots the day my HID broke so I asked the Solam guy if that could be a factor, but he said no. He thinks the bulb was flawed from the start and eventually broke.

rivx
20-08-08, 11:06 PM
I got my HID from Xtralights.com and i found their source. http://heartnet.info/
They are also from a Japanese company...and they are 20000JPY for 1 set.
How da hell does Solam charge 400++ per set is beyond me. :fist: