PDA

View Full Version : Michelin Pilot Power 2CT

Geezer
05-10-08, 10:54 PM
Just before I started my current walkabout of Japan, I bought a new set of Michelin Pilot Power 2CT tires. I actually wanted the Pilot Roads, but the guy was out of stock and offered me the Powers at the same price. He said he thinks they're not quite as durable, but stickier. Big selling point, though, is that they're a few kilos lighter, which reduces my unsprung weight. Anyway, I figured I might as well give them a go.

All my previous tires were Bridgestone BTS-020 and -021. I'll be the first to admit that I'm no tire expert, in fact I'm not even a particularly good rider, but man, these Michelins feel good! Took a few hundred kms to get rid of the "greasy" new-tire feel, but now that they've settled in, it's a world of difference. For one thing, they seem to have a "sharper" profile. With the BS tires, I had to force the bike around bends, with quite a bit of counter-steer, but these Michelins require almost no input to turn. The bike just seems to fall into the bend all by itself. And once leaned over, they give plenty of warning as they start to slip. They inspire so much confidence that, for the first time in my life, I have a rear tire with no chicken strips. Never thought I'd see the day! 8)

On the negative side, they're a bit wiggly in the wet, I think; but it could be just my imagination. Maybe the Pilot Roads would have been a better choice. Anyway, no regrets.

As for durability, I don't know yet, but I've put almost 6,000 kms on them so far and I don't see any significant wear. What I have noticed though is that they're not squared off yet. I took a lot of straight roads in Hokkaido, and by now the old Bridgestones would be looking quite square, but these are still round. Seems like they've really got the dual compounds sorted out and balanced.

Anyway, just my 2 yens worth. :roll:

MidnightRun
06-10-08, 03:37 PM
I can second Egon's endorsement.
I've gone through 2 sets of the Power 2CTs with no complaints.
They handled great on the track (for the level I am riding), plus they lasted 10,000kms (including an Iron Butt run). 8)

Mind you, I'm on a 600, so there's less chance of burning through the rear tire than on a litre-bike...

theDude
06-10-08, 09:16 PM
Good

Geezer
08-10-08, 12:11 PM
My ZRX1200S weights about 230 kg dry.

SlowSkippy
08-10-08, 08:04 PM
I agree that the Pilot series seem to last forever. I used Pilot Road2's on the R1 and they got me through about 13,000kms. Better was that the rear lasted longer than the front. Need more gas and less brake perhaps, but I really liked them. I have been trying the Bridgestone "5ct" rear "3ct" fronts at the moment. While they are much softer all the different compounds on the tyre are have the rubber balling up and rolling off. I don't expect them to last long at all but it is nice not to have chicken strips for once.

I think I will go back to the Road 2's after these tyres run off.

rasbro
08-10-08, 08:15 PM
i used these (and liked) on my speed triple and to be honest noticed no appreciable difference between the 2CT and plain old pilot power...

thinking about a pair of the plain old ones (still made?) for my DRZ which is up for some new shoes soon.

Geezer
17-10-08, 10:13 PM
Well, as it turns out, they only lasted 8,000 km. :(

Rear tire totally trashed. Front down to the markers. Maybe because it's a heavy bike, plus all the camping gear and other load I'm lugging around. Also rode pretty hard a few times. :dontknow:

No regrets though. Great tires, stick like shit. First time in my life with no chicken strips.

Trying the Pilot Roads now (not the 2s, the old ones)

Delirious
18-10-08, 12:43 PM
I got 11,000km's out of the pilot sport single compound on my K1200S and I'm now about 7,000km's into my Pilot Sport 2CT's with 2 tracks days done, michelin man has been completely wiped off front and rear and there is lots of rubber bubbled or balled up on the shoulders of the tyres. Apart from that they look fine. I reckon I will probably see 10 - 11,000km's out of these as well.

very happy with them 8)

Cheers,
Delirious.

Dana
19-10-08, 11:06 AM
I've been using the Pilot Power CT's and they've been OK. I picked up a screw with the front a few weeks back and changed it to a PP 2CT and man I am in love!

A tire can make a world of a difference!

Dana