PDA

View Full Version : Helmets

bilbowood
20-01-09, 09:06 PM
I know that your head is the most important thing you should be protecting, but what is the difference between say a 10,000 yen entry level full face and a Shoei or Arai helmet? And what sort of price should you be paying for a decent helmet?

rasbro
21-01-09, 11:59 AM
I know that your head is the most important thing you should be protecting, but what is the difference between say a 10,000 yen entry level full face and a Shoei or Arai helmet? ?

peace of mind mostly.

And what sort of price should you be paying for a decent helmet?
i would pay 35,000.

pukka
21-01-09, 01:36 PM
More than you ever wanted to know about helmet safety and testing:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

I just don't think it is worth going for a cheap one. There are some pretty good deals online, you can try a helmet for size in a shop and then get a cheaper version on the interweb...

muckin around
21-01-09, 04:03 PM
I vaguely remember a famous quote sometime back that says if you have a 10 buck head, then a 10 buck helmet is ok.

gkanai
21-01-09, 05:00 PM
I vaguely remember a famous quote sometime back that says if you have a 10 buck head, then a 10 buck helmet is ok.

That's no longer true.

Motorcyclist Magazine did a long and very involved article looking at helmet standards and helmet safety.

Motorcycle Helmet Performance: Blowing the Lid Off (http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html) Searching for the truth behind motorcycle helmet design, helmet standards and actual head protection (http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html)

The results of all our laborious impact testing were exactly as expected—but still surprising as hell.

The helmets ranged from the softest regimen, the DOT standard, to the Snell standard, the stiffest. But would the real-world, production-spec helmets actually show that progression from soft to stiff? In other words, can you predict how stiff a helmet will be simply by looking at the standard label? Absolutely.

In fact, our results show that modern helmets are all made with an amazing degree of precision, with their shell construction, liner density and liner thickness all controlled very well in the production process. In other words, almost everybody designing serious helmets seems to know exactly how to get what they want—the only variable is deciding what they want. And for the most part, the standards make that decision for them, not flashes of genius on the parts of the helmet designers themselves.

All the helmets we tested performed exactly as the standards they were designed to meet predicted. And they seemed to exceed those standards—that is, the DOT-only helmets were better at high-energy impacts than they had to be just to pass the DOT standard, and the Snell helmets were better at absorbing low-energy impacts than they had to be to pass DOT or Snell. So choosing a helmet, at least in terms of safety, is not a question of choosing high or low quality, it's one of choosing what degree of stiffness you prefer, finding a helmet in that range by choosing a particular standard, and then worrying about fine points like fit, comfort, ventilation, graphics, racer endorsements or computer-generated spokesmodels.

Basically the cheap helmets they tested were as good as the expensive ones.

Personally, I buy Arai because they make helmets that fit me and I like the quality.

Geezer
21-01-09, 05:51 PM
Motorcyclist Magazine did a long and very involved article looking at helmet standards and helmet safety.

Basically the cheap helmets they tested were as good as the expensive ones.

Personally, I buy Arai because they make helmets that fit me and I like the quality.
Of course, all helmets sold in the US have to meet DOT standards. If they didn't, they wouldn't be able to sell them legally. But standards are a minimum set of requirements. Perhaps more important than just meeting the minimum is by how much they exceed the standards.

I agree with rasbo: 35,000 is a good number. I personally favour Shoei, also because of good fit (we all have different shaped heads) and quality.

bilbowood
21-01-09, 07:54 PM
Yeah, cheers for that. I have found that in general the cheap helmets are too big for me anyway. I will have to get one before it starts to warm up again and I can start exploring a bit more on my bike. Can't wait.

gordthebiker250
21-01-09, 09:16 PM
I noticed with my Shoei helmet that after 7 or 8 months the rubber seal behind the visor started to leak when it rained heavily. The seal kind of got flattened I guess.

My Arai is a bit quieter and better made. Of course, more expensive Shoei helmets might be better.

Michael
21-01-09, 11:33 PM
More than you ever wanted to know about helmet safety and testing:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

Very interesting. Thanks Pukka :icon_wink:

EvilTwin
23-01-09, 06:17 AM
FWIW, I find that I tend to get a bitter fit from Shoei if it's a full face, or Arai if it's an open face.

sprocket
24-01-09, 11:48 AM
I know that your head is the most important thing you should be protecting, but what is the difference between say a 10,000 yen entry level full face and a Shoei or Arai helmet?

The primary difference is that you'll have less money in your wallet after buying an expensive snell-rated helmet. Non-snell dot approved helmets tend to subject your brain to lower g forces in an impact. This is because the snell standards require the helmet use a harder foam liner. It is my opinion that the snell foundation started out with a worthwhile objective, but that they have morphed into sales gimmick for expensive helmet makers.

Buy a DOT approved helmet that fits well, and maybe you won't die in your next motorcycle accident.

Dana
24-01-09, 12:32 PM
I'm an Arai fan because of the fit and looks.

The reality is, when was the last time you heard someone not live through an accident because they had a $100 lid on their head?

Dana

bilbowood
24-01-09, 02:00 PM
Do the helmets in Japan display overseas marks such as SNELL and DOT or do the just have the JIS japanese mark?

bilbowood
24-01-09, 02:09 PM
I have also been reading about the new helmet safety scheme, sharp. http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ It is run by the British government. They also found that many of the cheaper helmets out-performed many of the more expensive once.

domrsv1000
28-01-09, 04:41 PM
I would say that pretty much any decent full face helmet will perform exactly the same prerequisites during a crash, that the testers have set. What will mean less damage to your brain is reducing the inertia of impact and rebound from the initial helmet/road contact. This is where a perfectly fitting helmet does its job by providing a more gradual transition through the impact/rebound phase when the inner shell compacts and absorbs inertia that would otherwise be directly transferred to the head/brain/neck/spine.

domrsv1000
28-01-09, 04:48 PM
I've found OGK helmets to be a really good fit for me and they are widely recognised thoughout the Japanese roadrace community as a helmet made by racers for racers so comfort, light weight, noise reduction from lowered wind resistance/drag and safety are all areas they score very highly.

bilbowood
07-02-09, 09:40 PM
I ended up getting a OGK FF-4 for 20,000 down from 35,000. Snell and DOT rated, light and good fit.

theDude
08-02-09, 07:00 PM
So you got an FF4 at 15,000? wow. where was that?

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/ogk/ff4/

bilbowood
08-02-09, 07:04 PM
It was 20,000 from Nankai. Think it was their last in stock. Think it was a good deal.

theDude
08-02-09, 07:13 PM
yeah, good find.... !

bilbowood
08-02-09, 08:54 PM
Just saw that the next model (FF-5) will be coming out soon, so they are trying to sell off the remaining stock. If you look around I am sure there will be some more at that price.

theDude
09-02-09, 07:15 PM
FF5 seems to be much heavier than the super-light FF4....not heavy heavy, but not as light.... Let us know how you get on with the new lid.

bilbowood
09-02-09, 08:14 PM
Took it out for a ride on Sunday. Cheek pads are quite large so a little tight there, but guess the helmet probably needs time to bed in. But feels very light and great airflow, had to close the vents because it was bloody freezing. It's my first decent helmet but feels good.