PDA

View Full Version : Quite Hours??? I have started war with the OGI-SAN across my driveway!!!

Loco
20-05-09, 09:32 PM
So here is the background....

I moved into my new place back in early December in a nice little area right on the beach and enjoy working on my bike during the good weather and generally keeping to myself here.... but.....

This cock smoke old man that lives across the driveway from me has been a total dick since the day I moved in based only on the fact that I am gaijin!!! I have taken to war like tactics to make his life as much of a living hell as I can during my next three years here! I have been firing up the death tard in the middle of the day for "random idle settings" and generally do what I want during the daylight hours after I get off work or starting at around 11am on weekends but this cock and his douchebag of a 40 something son have been coming out telling me to be quite and all kinds of other bullshit at like 3pm when there are jackhammers and crap going on just a couple hundred meters up the road while they fix my local shrine!!!

This is total BS and I am starting to come up with new and exciting ways of driving these Jerks as crazy as possible without breaking any laws... but I am starting to run out of ideas and would like your inputs!!!

I also would like to know exactly what the "Legal Quite Hours" are??? I would imagine from 9am to 8pm or so but could be otherwise... but those are about the hours i stick to and have never started the death tard in front of my place unless it was the middle of the day.....

Thanks guys!

Phil

rivx
20-05-09, 10:08 PM
Old farts are like that regardless of where you go. The old farts from my place complain when i start it up to go to work! So i looked them in the eye and told them to ふざけんないよ:icon_cool:
They never talked to me again :icon_wink:
Legally they can't do shit if it is in the hours of 8am to maybe 10pm. They can call the cops but as long as you are not doing anything illegally, they can't do shit.
However having said that, it is always best to get along with all your neighbours especially if you plan to be there for a while. Nothing like living around friendly faces.
I'm off to my new place this weekend so i'll have to play nice from now on.

Kamikuza
20-05-09, 11:12 PM
8am to 8pm you can make noise ... at least, those are the rules for the fuck-tard politicians and their wanker wagons with the speakers on top :rant: I asked about it at the local city office. No doubt it's different all around the country :rolleyes:

Doesn't matter how nice you play, they're gonna try and bully you around simply cos they think they can - and should. Don't even start me I can rant for hours :lol:

Find out the law for real, stand your ground calmly and just be reasonable & considerate ... if you can be - there's people around here I want to go all Hancock on and stuff heads in asses too :lol:

It's not even the old farts - it's all kinds of people who see it as their chance to bully someone like they've been bullied ... oh dang I wasn't gonna start was I :lol:

Twinrider
20-05-09, 11:51 PM
Why don't you give him a dose of liquid ass? (http://www.liquidass.com/stink_bombs_fart_spray.html)

If you live on private roads it's amazing what shit people can get away with. A crazy old coot where I used to live blocked my car in with planters he deliberately stuck on the road in front of his place and the police wouldn't do jack because it was a private road but if I disappeared the plants then it would be vandalism!! Swore then I'd never live make the mistake of living on a private road again! In a way I owe the old asshole for motivating me to stop renting but will still be paying a visit to the old hood one of these days! :biggrin:

Guy Jinbaiquerre
21-05-09, 12:14 AM
If you live on private roads it's amazing what shit people can get away with. A crazy old coot where I used to live blocked my car in with planters he deliberately stuck on the road in front of his place and the police wouldn't do jack because it was a private road but if I disappeared the plants then it would be vandalism!!

If property law in Japan is anything like in the West, the old coot was most likely overstepping his bounds. If his private road was the only way to get your car from your house to a public road, you probably had an "easement" allowing you to traverse his property to get to the public road. If so, he had no right to block you from doing so, even if he does own the road.

Water under the bridge, maybe, but something to keep in mind for next time.

Guy Jinbaiquerre
21-05-09, 12:16 AM
This is total BS and I am starting to come up with new and exciting ways of driving these Jerks as crazy as possible without breaking any laws... but I am starting to run out of ideas and would like your inputs!!!

Phil, it sounds like it's time for a TR/GR bike rally and beer bash at your place! Why, it could last all day and well into the night, with plenty of drunken gaijin revving our engines and blasting rock music. I'm in! :icon_wink:

Twinrider
21-05-09, 12:58 AM
If property law in Japan is anything like in the West, the old coot was most likely overstepping his bounds. If his private road was the only way to get your car from your house to a public road, you probably had an "easement" allowing you to traverse his property to get to the public road. If so, he had no right to block you from doing so, even if he does own the road.

Water under the bridge, maybe, but something to keep in mind for next time.

It wasn't his road. It was owned by all the street's property owners. Each owner legally owned the side of the road opposite their house, a set up that was designed to stop people from doing crap like the old guy was doing. He put planters out on the road in front of his house, knowing my car couldn't clear them when I turned out of my driveway across the road from him. Cops said they couldn't do squat. The people in the house next door to me and across from the coot, whose land was technically in front of the coot's house, were renting and didn't want to involve their absentee owner. Shortly before that they also had the same trouble with that guy and instead of getting their owner to step in, they responded by renting a parking space somewhere else because their car stuck out a little into the road and the coot was making a stink about that.

My only *legal* alternative according to the ward office's legal counseling service would have been to sue (or to buy a smaller car). Certainly wasn't worth a long legal battle for an old rental house.

Believe me, there won't be a next time. Public roads are the only way to go here!

Twinrider
21-05-09, 01:00 AM
Phil, it sounds like it's time for a TR/GR bike rally and beer bash at your place! Why, it could last all day and well into the night, with plenty of drunken gaijin revving our engines and blasting rock music. I'm in! :icon_wink:

Great idea, and a good time to pick up some oil! :icon_wink:

Guy Jinbaiquerre
21-05-09, 01:26 AM
Indeed! Just make sure not to spill any excess oil in the old guy's driveway by accident. :icon_wink:

So, Phil, when is the party?
:party::party:

Burly
21-05-09, 02:08 AM
I never knew that we all lived on the same street!!

The silly bitch across from me won't even look at me now and turns her back and blots inside each time I come out. The husband used to be cool but I guess the missus told him to be a wanker to me as well.

Now I just go down and rev fuck out of the bikes with the pipes off, hehehe...
Cop. "Wow! Nice bike!"

Me. "yeah, I love doing this"

Cop. " You shouldn't park you car in the street, it's against the law."

Me. "No shit?? Really?" "I'm just working on the bike and can't fit it in the garage, it'll be OK there for a while"

Cop. "OK but don't leave it there too long"

Me. "Look at the moon (Point to the moon and away from the car."
"Just working on the bike officer... hehehe!

Don't be scared of the cops in Japan, they are more scared of you!!!! Hehehehe!

Tell your neighbour to fu*k off!! The cops can't do dick.

Loco
21-05-09, 07:34 AM

Hahaha Sounds like we may have to get something planned but if a bunch of you guys really wanna come down let me know and I will stock up on the MX4T.....

Phil

Loco
21-05-09, 07:36 AM
Why don't you give him a dose of liquid ass? (http://www.liquidass.com/stink_bombs_fart_spray.html)

If you live on private roads it's amazing what shit people can get away with. A crazy old coot where I used to live blocked my car in with planters he deliberately stuck on the road in front of his place and the police wouldn't do jack because it was a private road but if I disappeared the plants then it would be vandalism!! Swore then I'd never live make the mistake of living on a private road again! In a way I owe the old asshole for motivating me to stop renting but will still be paying a visit to the old hood one of these days! :biggrin:

Whomever invented Liquid ASS is a total genius!!!!! I am thinking about ordering some just to have some good laughs at work and in very public places.... you have introduced me to the tool of the devil!!!!

Phil

EvilTwin
21-05-09, 08:55 AM
Want to make his life hell? You can get an hour's consultation with a lawyer for about 5K yen. Talk to one, get a cease-and-desist letter (I forget the term in Japanese) demanding that your neighbour stop harassing you about noise and anything else during, say, 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM, and normal living noises such as the reasonable operations of your motor vehicles, at all hours. Copy the letter, then get it served and keep a record. Using that one as a template, every time he harasses you, serve him with another letter. Once you have a few of these under your belt, you can get a restraining order, or you can sue for damages, or in some cases you can even force the old bastard to sell his property and move. Just be sure to get the first legal complaint in - whoever files first usually wins.

Either that, or I'll happily give you a yappy obnoxious Boston Terrier that will piss him off any time he comes near your property.

You could train the dog to shit in his driveway too.

Burly
21-05-09, 09:10 AM
I'm off to the lawyers if that's the case!!

I was thinking of renting my place to some Brazilians that loooooove to party. Just to piss him off.

B

Guy Jinbaiquerre
21-05-09, 09:46 AM
My only *legal* alternative according to the ward office's legal counseling service would have been to sue (or to buy a smaller car). Certainly wasn't worth a long legal battle for an old rental house

Well, yeah, you would have had to sue. But I believe you would have won, because of the property-law point I mentioned above. (In fact, when I bought my house, it was made clear to me that even though I owned a full rectangular plot of property, I was not allowed to block off the corner of the plot next to my neighbor's house, because he needed to be able to enter and exit his driveway.)

I can understand how you felt it wasn't worth fighting the old guy in court, but it's good to know the law is there on your side if you need to rely on it.

rtfm
21-05-09, 09:55 AM
Get a tape from one of the recycle trucks that drive slowly around the back roads on sundays and play it at him during the day. "Terebi..... pasokonnnn..... raaaajiookassseto.... "

Or the Bic Camera jingle.

Fastbike
21-05-09, 10:10 AM
When is the next track day at your house... (my new toys..)

domrsv1000
21-05-09, 10:46 AM
Tell your neighbour to fu*k off!! The cops can't do dick.

Yeah, what he said ;) That and maybe rent a skip (dumpster to all you seppos) and park it right out front. You can say you're re-modelling the house or something then you just venture out every hour or so to chuck a few empty shoubin around in it. Should be able to procure a few crates from your friendly local sake ya. Empty wine bottles/beer bottles would suffice also.

Guy Jinbaiquerre
21-05-09, 10:50 AM
Get a tape from one of the recycle trucks that drive slowly around the back roads on sundays and play it at him during the day. "Terebi..... pasokonnnn..... raaaajiookassseto.... "

Man, I hate those guys. Then one day I tried to give them my old TV (Sharp Aquos LCD from 2002) and they wanted me to pay them to take it because it was "too old"! So apparently, they are looking for idiots throwing away new televisions. I wish I knew the Japanese equivalent of "How about I rip that damn loudspeaker off your truck and shove it up your ass?" :censored:

Guy Jinbaiquerre
21-05-09, 10:56 AM
There was a very well-publicized story about a year or so ago here in Japan of a Japanese guy who basically turned his house into a garbage dump/cesspool. Piles of rotten food, human waste, etc., just getting bigger and bigger until the neighbors were actually becoming physically ill from the stench. He actually boiled his urine and poo on a stove to deliberately create nice warm aromas that would waft out to the neighborhood. No, I am not making this up. It took the neighbors YEARS to get the cops and the local government to condemn the property and kick out the crazy owner.

Also, I seem to remember a story about a crazy old Japanese lady who blasted weird messages and music from her house, around the clock. Same deal about taking ages for the authorities to do anything about it.

Of course, as you are a crazy gaijin, not a crazy Japanese, the cops may act a whole lot sooner against you.

P.S: Youtube video of a Japanese "garbage house." (http://www.japanprobe.com/?p=9510) This is not related to either of the two crazies I mentioned above.

Jav
21-05-09, 11:04 AM
Good luck. There are assholes where ever you go no matter the country.
What every you do, make sure it is not illegal. These people push you hoping
you will step over some line so they can get you.

The old bag of crap on fire and door bell ring, can work a treat.

domrsv1000
21-05-09, 11:15 AM
The old bag of crap on fire and door bell ring, can work a treat.

A classic prank and especially fruitfull in countries where people enter and walk around their homes with shoes still on feet.

ausdrifter
21-05-09, 12:06 PM
I used to own a balls-to-the-wall Toyota Mark 2 and I parked it in a small parking area which was basically just a lane, about 10 mins form my appt.
Well, some old bitch came out one day and yelled at me cause I was letting it idle down (as youre meant to with turbo cars) and bviously she wasnt happy having that parked next door.
I dont know if it woas her or just a coincidence but one day I came back t it (and bare in mind I almost never drove it as it didnt work so well) and It was keyed on 3 sides and the bonnet.
Dont know who, but i was well mad.

wait, dont know if this rant is relivent anymore...

Kamikuza
21-05-09, 12:17 PM
Oh yeah parking on the road ...

Depends on the area of the country you're in ... IIRC here it's illegal if you park for more than 8 hours at a time, in front of your own house. That's the letter of the law. The cops can make your life difficult if they decide you're treating the road as a garage and can remove your car.
In Osaka, you can't park on the road at all.

When we got the big car, the wife started parking her Pajero Mini in front of the house.
The neighborhood community group posted a notice saying "Let's not park on the road cos it blocks emergency vehicles". We're the last house in the street before the road ends and the tambo's start :rolleyes

Then some douche bag started putting signs on the window saying "No parking".
So for the sake of peace, the wife called up the woman (who lives in Osaka! and never comes to Yasu) who owns a plot of land around the corner and runs it as a carpark, with unallocated parking. She paid for a spot then started parking her car there.
Got another letter on the windows telling us "This is an carpark you have to pay for, you can't park here." Wife went and asked the man who lives across from the carpark (who is a reasonable guy) if he'd seen anything. He's on the board of the community group so told them that my wife had paid for a carpark so whoever is sticking notes in the window, leave it off.
A few days later, we get a note in the window saying "This is an allocated carpark and you're parking in my place. Don't or there'll be trouble."
:lol:

Now, ask me about the guy at the local public park who thinks I'm not allowed to fly kites there :lol:

Kamikuza
21-05-09, 12:21 PM
It seems to me that this country has an abundance of petty, small-minded toe-rags with nothing better to do but make everyone else's lives as miserable as their own ...

Then there's the neighbor who washes plastic bags and flaps them to dry them out on her backporch - opposite our bedroom - at 6 o'clock in the morning ... :lol:

Guy Jinbaiquerre
21-05-09, 12:32 PM
You all have made me realize how lucky I am that my neighbors are basically normal people. And also, that I have a garage.

Guy Jinbaiquerre
21-05-09, 12:33 PM
A few days later, we get a note in the window saying "This is an allocated carpark and you're parking in my place. Don't or there'll be trouble."

So, what happened next?

Kamikuza
21-05-09, 12:44 PM
The wife told the guy across the road, I guess he told the jijikai and - HE started parking on the street :lol: I know how it was ... him and his Alfa Romeo don't wanna push his luck tho ;)

Kamikuza
21-05-09, 12:49 PM
I have to say though that as mental as our neighbors seem to be (one of them vacuums the stones in her shingle zen garden :lol:), it is a case of just being totally oblivious of how it would affect other people. Once we asked her to knock it off, she was fine.

Now, the old sow who threatened to poison our cat because the off-cuts from me mowing our lawn blew into her tambo is another story ... :lol:

EvilTwin
21-05-09, 01:32 PM
I'm lucky - worst thing my neighbour does is occasionally corner me to try to practice his horrific english and play with my dog.

Michael
21-05-09, 01:42 PM
...one of them vacuums the stones in her shingle zen garden....

What's the cause of all this nutty behaviour and aggression?Have you had the local water supply tested? I'm never going to Shiga. Maybe you should move upwind or somewhere. :001_tongue::001_tongue::001_tongue:

Burly
21-05-09, 01:48 PM
You all have made me realize how lucky I am that my neighbors are basically normal people. And also, that I have a garage.

Most of mine are fine, some give me a wide berth and others simply love me. The dogs are great and if I don't want to talk to someone, I look busy.

Where do you live? maybe we could all come round and change your neighbours minds.

There always has to be a village idiot....somewhere.

As for keying cars. The spineless prick that has done mine, now 5 times had better watch is step. I told the cop that had a go at me for on street parking that I would leave it there till I caught him/her, the cop seemed to be ok with that idea. But he seemed to be very concerned about the "Gang members with knives!!" Any bozou that wants to come to my joint and stab me is more than welcome to have a go, I said. But don't expect me to take him to the cop shop in one piece. the cop walks away shaking his head.

Twinrider
21-05-09, 02:02 PM
I used to own a balls-to-the-wall Toyota Mark 2 and I parked it in a small parking area which was basically just a lane, about 10 mins form my appt.
Well, some old bitch came out one day and yelled at me cause I was letting it idle down (as youre meant to with turbo cars) and bviously she wasnt happy having that parked next door.
I dont know if it woas her or just a coincidence but one day I came back t it (and bare in mind I almost never drove it as it didnt work so well) and It was keyed on 3 sides and the bonnet.
Dont know who, but i was well mad.

wait, dont know if this rant is relivent anymore...

You've made a damn good point. Nutcases like the old coot I lived across from usually don't work so they have plenty of time to f*ck with your property while you're away.

The old coot I dealt with was mentally ill. He was convinced that me and the people next door were hitting his wall with our cars because the concrete was old and crumbling, even after we pointed out that there were no matching scratches on our vehicles!

Twinrider
21-05-09, 02:15 PM
I have to say though that as mental as our neighbors seem to be (one of them vacuums the stones in her shingle zen garden :lol:), it is a case of just being totally oblivious of how it would affect other people. Once we asked her to knock it off, she was fine.

Now, the old sow who threatened to poison our cat because the off-cuts from me mowing our lawn blew into her tambo is another story ... :lol:

What amazes me from my travels and your anecdotes about your neighbors is how even in the countryside in Japan houses seem to be packed in as tight next to each other as they are in the cities!

I'm pretty luck in my new place so far. On one side about 5 meters away is an apartment building whose tenants keep to themselves. On the other about 3 meters away is a family who's quiet and courteous. The house behind us is up on a hill behind a big cement retaining wall. And across from us is a parking lot.

Having a garage absolutely rocks, I really owe the old coot for getting me off my ass and out of that POS house I was renting!

Kamikuza
21-05-09, 02:22 PM
Well they got all the tambo here - don't want to take up land that could have rice grown on it (and abuse the government subsidies) would you? Little islands of mushroom houses surrounded by miles of open ground ... crazy!

Oh they're all terrified of the yakuza around here :rolleyes: there's yakuza hiding under the rocks and behind every post, waiting to get you :lol: in the dealings I've had with (what I'm sure) were yakuza, they've been professional, polite and - competent :lol:

Send him flowers and a thank you card Twin - it'll totally baffle him and annoy him for the rest of his life :lol:

EvilTwin
21-05-09, 02:41 PM
Most of mine are fine, some give me a wide berth and others simply love me. The dogs are great and if I don't want to talk to someone, I look busy.

Where do you live? maybe we could all come round and change your neighbours minds.

There always has to be a village idiot....somewhere.

As for keying cars. The spineless prick that has done mine, now 5 times had better watch is step. I told the cop that had a go at me for on street parking that I would leave it there till I caught him/her, the cop seemed to be ok with that idea. But he seemed to be very concerned about the "Gang members with knives!!" Any bozou that wants to come to my joint and stab me is more than welcome to have a go, I said. But don't expect me to take him to the cop shop in one piece. the cop walks away shaking his head.

I've got a nice motion activated compact digital recorder that I no longer need, and a microcamera. Be happy to sell 'em on (once I test 'em and make sure they're working) - they helped me nail a scumbag that was burning the seats on my bike with a turbo lighter.

Burly
21-05-09, 02:53 PM
I've got a nice motion activated compact digital recorder that I no longer need, and a microcamera. Be happy to sell 'em on (once I test 'em and make sure they're working) - they helped me nail a scumbag that was burning the seats on my bike with a turbo lighter.

Please do!!! Would it pick up a prick scratching the car though?

It's an Estima with tinted windows. I was going to do a stakeout and bust his ass as soon as he did it.

Stuff testing it, where do you want to meet?

B

Guy Jinbaiquerre
21-05-09, 02:54 PM
Any bozou that wants to come to my joint and stab me is more than welcome to have a go, I said. But don't expect me to take him to the cop shop in one piece. the cop walks away shaking his head.
I sympathize, but if you ever did try something like that, the bozou would go free (albeit injured) while you sat in jail for a couple years at best. Not worth it to get into a physical fight with a local here.

Burly
21-05-09, 03:04 PM
I sympathize, but if you ever did try something like that, the bozou would go free (albeit injured) while you sat in jail for a couple years at best. Not worth it to get into a physical fight with a local here.

BS, the Bozou's are weaklings, even in their little packs.

A building I rent in was being vandalized every week by them...till I moved in.

The cops had been called more than 100 times by the owner and then the cops just stopped coming.

One night while doing a lesson, they showed up. I went down stairs with my helmet in hand (ready to belt the biggest one there) and started to show an interest in their bikes.

They couldn't get over the fact that I wasn't scared of them. Then I told them that I work here and would like it if they would find some other place to be idiots. They never came back. Now I just have to work out how to get rid of the guys that play soccer from sitting out front, smoking and spitting in piles and then leaving their garbage everywhere.

As for fighting in Japan. The locals have already won, I had a guy come at me with a pipe grabbed him by the throat and laid him out. Yes, I was arrested, (not my first time either), but then I was released and the other guy had to apologize to me. Don't be scared to stand up for yourself. The "Hit a local and you're out" rule is a crock!

B

Guy Jinbaiquerre
21-05-09, 03:25 PM
As for fighting in Japan. The locals have already won, I had a guy come at me with a pipe grabbed him by the throat and laid him out. Yes, I was arrested, (not my first time either), but then I was released and the other guy had to apologize to me. Don't be scared to stand up for yourself. The "Hit a local and you're out" rule is a crock!

That is awesome, although I would still be nervous about the chance of ending up in jail.

Also, where do you live that you are getting into so many fights and meeting all these gangstas?

rasbro
21-05-09, 03:36 PM
i agre with Burly.. it is crock. but still not worth the risk.

years ago in kurashiki i was assaulted by a bunch of bosozoku for pissing them off at an intersection, as luck would have it, it was mid-winter and i was in full warmies so their punches, kicks and grabbing had little to no affect. i broke one guy's nose with helmet once i got it off, broke 2 fingers on another guy and left a third guy puking from a kick to the peanuts before some decent locals stepped in to stop us. all i had to show for it was a scuffed up bike where it fell over as i was getting off and a shiner for a week.

they ended up having to come to the koban to apologize to me and i chose not to press charges.

Twinrider
21-05-09, 03:50 PM
Good job, people often forget that a fullface helmet makes a great weapon, not to mention gloves with armored knuckles....

Guy Jinbaiquerre
21-05-09, 05:02 PM
they ended up having to come to the koban to apologize to me and i chose not to press charges.

Why not? Would they sic their whole gang on you if you pressed charges? Or is it just a pain in the ass to go through the legal process? If a gang of guys attacked me, I'd like to see the bastards get some jail time.

Kamikuza
21-05-09, 05:10 PM
Waste of time going through the legals - they're probably all high school kids who parents couldn't give a toss so long as they're not at home being a PITA.

I had a guy in truck try to give me a hard time a couple years back ... long story, he pushed me and I pushed back - hard :D he went rolling across the road and nearly ended up in a tambo. He STFU and got the hell out of my face after that but called the cops, thinking it'd put the shits up me. I stayed, in fact waved them over and stuck to my version of events ;) Score at full time - nothing done ... and I never removed my helmet the whole time :lol:

Like I said, lots of chest-beating and posturing ...

EvilTwin
21-05-09, 05:14 PM
Please do!!! Would it pick up a prick scratching the car though?

It's an Estima with tinted windows. I was going to do a stakeout and bust his ass as soon as he did it.

Stuff testing it, where do you want to meet?

B

Let me find all the parts to the system first... three year old hands have learned how to open latches and scatter components. This is also the reason I want to test :) The recorder I'm sure is OK, the camera may not be - but the camera can easily be replaced.

Once that's done, tho, I'm home (in Itabashi) most evenings from around 5:30 on, and head out to the Fussa side of things a couple times a month.

haildamage
21-05-09, 06:14 PM
i'd just like to say that you should remember that not all of your neighbors are jerks. if you wanna mess with the guys across the street, you should do it in a way that does not disturb the other neighbors.

in addition, keep in mind that your actions could make it even harder for foreigners to rent a place than it is now!

i guess i'm lucky to have no problems with the neighbors. in addition, now i understand why it is important that our street is public.

Tuco
21-05-09, 07:17 PM
Fucking burning crosses on the fucking lawns. WTF you guys trying to do, start a race war?

Buy a gift, go the fuck over to the house, apologize and hand them the gift. Explain that you love bikes and working on them and that you will try to be quieter in the future. Apologize again for not being able to speak a fucking lick of their language and understand less than a fuck about their culture.

One fucking thing I have learned on these fucking islands over the years is you just don't fucking know who the fuck is who. You may be treading on very fucking thin ice my pedigree chum.

You might get a lot more done being quite quiet and diplomatic rather than launching the gun boats.

rivx
21-05-09, 08:14 PM
Fucking burning crosses on the fucking lawns. WTF you guys trying to do, start a race war?

Buy a gift, go the fuck over to the house, apologize and hand them the gift. Explain that you love bikes and working on them and that you will try to be quieter in the future. Apologize again for not being able to speak a fucking lick of their language and understand less than a fuck about their culture.

One fucking thing I have learned on these fucking islands over the years is you just don't fucking know who the fuck is who. You may be treading on very fucking thin ice my pedigree chum.

You might get a lot more done being quite quiet and diplomatic rather than launching the gun boats.

Its not about a race war. Its standing up to bullies and the principal behind it. Apologize? That will never happen! We have every right to make this country out temp or perm home. They may be locals but doesn't make them god.
Be reasonable and that is all we ask for now. Sure you can take the take that route and go apologize but to when?

Dana
21-05-09, 08:31 PM
While I whole-heartedly agree with Tuco, but the "kill them with kindness" may give them the impression you're just sucking up to them and you are the subordinate.

I moved into a pretty close quarters area surrounded by elderly (50's - 70's I suppose). Our place screams modern, efficient, and HUGE, while they live in smaller places (We have solar panels, electric garage door, 4 floors including a basement, etc). We did our rounds when we first moved in and most were pretty pleasant, except one. The wife and kids and grandkids were super nice, but grandpa had something against us from the beginning. A tough lesson to teach my son why someone wouldn't return small talk each day. "Nice weather we're having", "Good morning", etc.

Bought a Ducati 996s, stock pipes, open dry clutch.

I always let it warm up to 60C...never revving, just idling.

Well one day around noon I'm ready to head out, bike idling, and grandpa comes out and starts yelling at me. I was ready to jack him up, but I calmly tried to explain and show him the temp gauge and show that 60C is good and I can go. He seemed to understand and that was it.

About a year later, same thing. This time he said I should push the bike to the end of the street and start it there. Ummm. How do I push a 400lb bike out of a basement up a hill to the street (see pic)? I was ready this time for him.

I first gave him the look (I had my helmet on), like 'are you talking to me, because if you are, I may lay you out'.

Then I motioned him to come closer like I wanted to talk.

He leaned in like I was going to say something, then I said "Ji-ji, achi ike" (A very rude way of saying go away, I'm told). I sent the message home by shooshing him away with my hands. He looked to be in shock. He wasn't getting the picture, so I put my arm around his shoulder and walked him back to his front door, and shooshed him again.

Now he avoids all eye contact and will drive down another street if he sees me outside.

Dana

Loco
21-05-09, 08:51 PM

Fuck that route! This old bastard is probably pissed because this brother was killed during WWII by one of our relatives so why should I suck his cock???

I am cool and unlike Dana I do push my bike down the street every morning as to not disturb any of my neighbors so when I want to fuck with the bike in the middle of day I will do so as today I found that my community association has set quiet hours from 7am to 10pm and I more than follow those rules!!! So I will be filing a complaint against him for his harrasing actions!!!

I am just sick and tired of felling like I have to walk on egg shells around my own damn house!!!! That is no way to live your life bro!!!

And just as a point of reference... the quiet guys never end up in the history books!!!! so why would you just want to exist instead of going out and live life!!! My goal is to die either famous or infamous!!!

Phil

Dana
21-05-09, 09:18 PM
I should have mentioned I do push it down to the end of the street in the early AM, for the same reason as you...so I can use weekends during the day to take it easy and tinker on the bike.

I don't pull it in the basement during the weekday unless it will rain.

I'm cool too!

Burly
21-05-09, 09:31 PM
That is awesome, although I would still be nervous about the chance of ending up in jail.

Also, where do you live that you are getting into so many fights and meeting all these gangstas?

The guy I dropped wasn't a gangster. Just a prick with a speaker on top of his truck that ran over my foot on purpose while I was stopped and giving him an earful about the noise he was making... that's another story.

Where do I live? Hachioji.

Burly
21-05-09, 09:49 PM

And you kiss your mum with that mouth??

"In all the time..." stories about what others should do in the way the Japanese do wear thin after a time.

I have had some wonderful run-in's with locals and even an attempted run over. (he threw himself at my car to make it look like I ran him over)

But to be honest, even if "we" begged and scraped like the locals do, we will never be have the person they are in their eyes.

They either love you, hate you or don't give a rats ass about you, that's the truth. And regardless of what one "Gai~jinnn" does the other won't be affected in anyway because of the mindset.

There is no way in hell that I would burst over the road with a box of candy and a bunch of flowers. They must learn to live with me, as I have learned to live with them.

I even had one bitch the other day have a go at me at KFC, pointing and waving her finger at me, in front of my 5 year old Japanese daughter, ranting that, "If you want to live in Japanese speak Japanese!!" I told her that she was fat and ugly in her native tongue and to fuck off with finger and all. Her husband came over and dragged her away. There was no way that I was going to take that kind of abuse, especially in front of my daughter who speaks and understands both languages perfectly well.

I ain't Japanese and I sure as hell don't try to be one.

B

sprocket
21-05-09, 09:52 PM
My bike is probably parked illegally, but the land lord has never complained in over three years. My bike is parked near one of the neighbors, so my morning routine is to point it in the right direction, start the engine, put it in gear, and ride off with almost no throttle 'till I'm well down the street. When I get home late at night, I shut off the engine immediately after rolling into my parking space.

In my situation, the idea of warming up my bike while sitting there parked has never entered my mind, and I can't imagine why someone would subject his neighbors to that kind of thoughtless behavior. Of course, I'm sure you all live in different situations than me, and that you take you neighbors feelings into consideration in most everything you do.

Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of neighbors that suck, but I try to do what I can to de-conflict situations in the interest of coexistence. But there is this one mean dog that a neighbor leaves on a long leash so that it can run about halfway across the street... That dog used to piss me off!

Michael
21-05-09, 09:56 PM
...my morning routine is to point it in the right direction, start the engine, put it in gear, and ride off with almost no throttle 'till I'm well down the street. When I get home late at night, I shut off the engine immediately after rolling into my parking space.

In my situation, the idea of warming up my bike while sitting there parked has never entered my mind, and I can't imagine why someone would subject his neighbors to that kind of thoughtless behavior.

Same here, and never a single complaint ever.

Burly
21-05-09, 10:00 PM
is this one mean dog that a neighbor leaves on a long leash so that it can run about halfway across the street... That dog used to piss me off!

Did you kick it?

:icon_wink:

sprocket
21-05-09, 10:00 PM
The guy I dropped wasn't a gangster. Just a prick with a speaker on top of his truck...

I hate those kei-trucks with speakers that drive around in the morning asking for garbage. I hoped you punished that fncker good!

Burly
21-05-09, 10:06 PM
I hate those kei-trucks with speakers that drive around in the morning asking for garbage. I hoped you punished that fncker good!

I always do...there seem to be less around now days. what about in your area?

I used to get about 4~6 per day. now it's like 3 per week. That I can kind of live with.

Also I pushed for restrictions to be placed on the Db's they can push out. Now I don't hear them until they enter the street. before I could hear the same truck for a couple of hours.

I hope that my words finally fell at the feet of the person in charge of noise pollution levels.

B

Guy Jinbaiquerre
21-05-09, 10:17 PM
I always do...there seem to be less around now days. what about in your area?

I used to get about 4~6 per day. now it's like 3 per week. That I can kind of live with.

Also I pushed for restrictions to be placed on the Db's they can push out. Now I don't hear them until they enter the street. before I could hear the same truck for a couple of hours.

I hope that my words finally fell at the feet of the person in charge of noise pollution levels.

B

I would love it if when they come around with their loudspeaker asking for old electronics, you ripped the loudspeaker off the roof of their truck and said, "Here you go, here's a busted loudspeaker for you." :icon_wink:

Also, it sounds like folks are real dicks out in Hachioji. I'm in Shimo-kitazawa and the Japanese people here are chilled out.

rivx
21-05-09, 10:25 PM
I'll see how the people in Edogawa are like.

rivx
21-05-09, 10:29 PM
My bike is probably parked illegally, but the land lord has never complained in over three years. My bike is parked near one of the neighbors, so my morning routine is to point it in the right direction, start the engine, put it in gear, and ride off with almost no throttle 'till I'm well down the street. When I get home late at night, I shut off the engine immediately after rolling into my parking space.

In my situation, the idea of warming up my bike while sitting there parked has never entered my mind, and I can't imagine why someone would subject his neighbors to that kind of thoughtless behavior. Of course, I'm sure you all live in different situations than me, and that you take you neighbors feelings into consideration in most everything you do.

Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of neighbors that suck, but I try to do what I can to de-conflict situations in the interest of coexistence. But there is this one mean dog that a neighbor leaves on a long leash so that it can run about halfway across the street... That dog used to piss me off!

Sprocket i dunno about you but i warm my bike up to 60C before i even ride and that is a ritual. The neighbours used to complain but hey it is past 8am, get over it. As long as we are doing it not to intentionally piss anyone off, i am totally for it.

Fastbike
21-05-09, 10:43 PM
Its great out here in saitama...Pit lane out side the house....

I bet the neighbours hate me........

bilbowood
21-05-09, 11:03 PM
I know it's an old cliche, but don't come down to their level. They are looking to get a reaction from you and to possibly back up their opinions on gaijin. Not saying give in to them, but what comes around goes around. There may well come a time when they need your support in the future and that's when you can take the moral high ground. Must admit though, some of the things people have described may push me past breaking point too. Good luck with it

Twinrider
21-05-09, 11:56 PM
the "kill them with kindness" may give them the impression you're just sucking up to them and you are the subordinate.

Yup, it's wise to be polite and courteous but don't let them think you're a pushover if they get nasty.

Burly
22-05-09, 12:22 AM
I would love it if when they come around with their loudspeaker asking for old electronics, you ripped the loudspeaker off the roof of their truck and said, "Here you go, here's a busted loudspeaker for you." :icon_wink:Errr, that's pretty much what I did when the guy threw himself at my car to make it look like I hit him. So, please don't tempt me in to coming round to your place to show you how it's done. I now have my anger under control....most days.:icon_wink:

Also, it sounds like folks are real dicks out in Hachioji. I'm in Shimo-kitazawa and the Japanese people here are chilled out. Only the locals.

It's not too bad, in the guts of Hachioji the gangs are getting out of control at times and the cops do shit about the Chinese hookers. You have to remember that Hachioji was kind of the last major stop for the Yaks on their way from Tokyo to Osaka and the West. I also do think that there is something in the water out here.

I'm looking to buy another place in either Izu or the East cost of Chiba. But they have the same kind of history and problems, albeit on a smaller scale

Twinrider
22-05-09, 12:58 AM
Izu's west coast is very nice.

EvilTwin
22-05-09, 06:28 AM
Both places are really nice, but Izu has the added advantage of no low flying air traffic overhead.

sprocket
22-05-09, 07:54 AM
Sprocket i dunno about you but i warm my bike up to 60C before i even ride and that is a ritual. The neighbours used to complain but hey it is past 8am, get over it. As long as we are doing it not to intentionally piss anyone off, i am totally for it.

I always let my bike warm up; but never while it's sitting idle at home. I'm would imagine your neighbors stopped complaining because you did not care about them, not because they grew to like the sound and smell of an idling bike.

rivx
22-05-09, 08:18 AM
:icon_wink: Decent hours i dun see why not. It was more the sound than the smell.
Its a rotary garage and cars start there all the time and i dun see why as a biker i should get singled out.

Kamikuza
22-05-09, 10:23 AM
I like the trucks that drive around with the speakers on ... I love lying in bed all warm and snuggly thinking about how I don't have to get up for another hour or so while someone else is out working :lol: them and the potato trucks add atmosphere to the place - and I'd take a silly truck over the asshole politicians and bosozoku anyday ...

No need to go nuclear on people - you'll get further being polite, firm and then completely ignoring them. Don't waste your breath on people who just want a fight cos they got nothing better to do ... now, I'm trying to convince the wife that :lol:

As for race wars - that's what happens when "they" drive through a predominantly Brazilian danchi in Tokyo with speakers blaring "Go home foriegn scum" ... and get their truck Molotoved for their trouble :lol:

Jav
22-05-09, 11:00 AM
Re warming my bike. Never bothered, never will. It warms up as I mosy down the
street, same as the tyres and the rider.............

Twinrider
22-05-09, 11:12 AM
Exactly. Start the bike, ride off, don't redline it for the first 3 minutes...

Guy Jinbaiquerre
22-05-09, 11:21 AM
If I ride off in the dead of winter without warming up the engine first, it dies if I stop at a red light too soon into my ride. So I always warm up the engine in the winter. But in the warmer weather, no problems.

Twinrider
22-05-09, 11:30 AM
Carbed bikes just require use of the choke for the first few minutes, which can be done while riding.

The houses packed together here can amplify noise. One time in my old place I was idling a borrowed FJR with stock cans and a neighbor i got along with fine actually came out to see what the racket was, she thought it was a helicoptor at first. If it had been loud aftermarket pipes it would've been 10x louder.

Guy Jinbaiquerre
22-05-09, 11:46 AM
Carbed bikes just require use of the choke for the first few minutes, which can be done while riding.

Thanks, I always used the choke with the bike on the sidestand. I'll try it riding next time I need to use it.

Twinrider
22-05-09, 12:03 PM
No prob, just gradually push it in while riding till it's not needed anymore.

Kamikuza
22-05-09, 12:37 PM
What Jav said - if you got a temp gauge, learn what 'normal' is and don't thrash it till then ;)
On FI bikes, the fast idle (choke) can be retuned for cruise control :D or add just a touch to reduce engine braking in the very twisties ... UAYOR

EvilTwin
22-05-09, 12:47 PM

The houses packed together here can amplify noise. One time in my old place I was idling a borrowed FJR with stock cans and a neighbor i got along with fine actually came out to see what the racket was, she thought it was a helicoptor at first. If it had been loud aftermarket pipes it would've been 10x louder.

Hehe - if anyone here remembers my TL when I had the Vance and Hines slipons on it... THOSE pipes got complaints from everyone on the block - including BUSINESSES. Louder than Thor's hammer.

Jav
22-05-09, 02:04 PM
Hehe - if anyone here remembers my TL when I had the Vance and Hines slipons on it... THOSE pipes got complaints from everyone on the block - including BUSINESSES. Louder than Thor's hammer.

But your current cruiser is louder than the TLS, is it not...............:biggrinjester:

Twinrider
22-05-09, 02:07 PM
:yes: I heard a really LOUD bike by my office a few months back. Turn to look and whaddya know, it's Marc!

EvilTwin
22-05-09, 02:07 PM
But your current cruiser is louder than the TLS, is it not...............:biggrinjester:

Haha - hells no! Oh wait, you're thinking of the shorty drag pipes I had on it a couple years back - those lasted 6 weeks before I repalced them. They hurt my ears.

ausdrifter
22-05-09, 03:36 PM
speaking of loud exhausts, I had a chamber exhaust on my Dio scooter for about 9 months and would often ham it out of my appt complex before 7 every morning, late for school.

I eventally replaced it when i kept getting notes on it from a neighbour and I decided that actually, i value my hearing more than i do being a wank on a, still, relitivly slow scooter

Kamikuza
22-05-09, 04:35 PM
I was actually a bit embarrassed when I got the Yosh full system for the TL ... not exactly discrete :blink: but it does sound sweet - bassy and clean, not raspy or screechy :D
When I repack them, I got a couple of tricks to try to baffle them a bit more ...

Twinrider
22-05-09, 04:45 PM
I put baffles in my TDM's race Akras. They're pretty quiet now.

The harley's running stock U.S. mufflers, which are much louder than the Japanese stock cans. They're plenty loud with my fullface helmet on, which seems to amplify the sound. The aftermarket ones I tried were great on the highway and while filtering but were loud enough to bug me after an hour or so in the twisties at higher rpms.

Kamikuza
22-05-09, 04:57 PM
For shaken, I got baffles made for the Yosh ... but using them all the time? That just ain't right :lol: I'd like 'em about 25% quieter or less brassy ... M4 do a nice dull thud that sounds good.

You buggers with your Harley's are exempt from the shaken sound check too :P :lol:

Twinrider
22-05-09, 05:38 PM
You buggers with your Harley's are exempt from the shaken sound check too :P :lol:

Funny you should mention that. I looked at a used '05 Road King that had pretty loud Screamin' Eagle mufflers. As an '05 it should've been subject to the same strict sound and emissions tests as my TDM but the owner said it flew through Kawasaki's shaken check the week before with those cans on.

Burly
22-05-09, 05:47 PM
My Dragstar passed the test at 128db last year but I think that I will have to change pipes next time round. :blush:

Kamikuza
22-05-09, 05:47 PM
Interesting ... I seem to remember the RB manager saying something about "... Harley's come from the factory like that so it's ok" but that may be erroneous recall on my part ...

Twinrider
22-05-09, 06:58 PM
They come with whisper quiet stock mufflers here but the shaken guys seem unaware.

Kamikuza
22-05-09, 07:11 PM
:lol: win!

Dana
23-05-09, 02:52 PM
I just got back from a BBQ for my son's soccer team, and one of the parents works at the city office. Her job is to take complaints about the US Air Force planes that fly overhead our area.

She said you wouldn't believe how many calls she gets each day right after a plane goes through. She then in turn calls Yokota to tell them of the complaints.

In a way, we're the bad guys before even showing up to the neighborhood. My wife also mentioned to me the jiji next door hates the US military presense in Japan, so I can imagine his feeling now there is one of the enemy living next to him.

Dana

Kamikuza
23-05-09, 06:41 PM
They're just pissed they have to let foreigners in at all ... Ein volk! Ein reich! Ein Emperor! etc and they'd still moan, even if there were no foreigners to moan about ... maybe they're English after all? :D

Loco
23-05-09, 06:48 PM
Hahahahaha when I started this thread I never thought it was going to get up to almost 100 posts with a bunch of disgruntaled Gaijin pissed about their neighors....

Hey Jav you should re-name this the "Bitch about your neighbors thread" and sticky it...Hahahaha

Phil

Twinrider
23-05-09, 09:31 PM
My wife also mentioned to me the jiji next door hates the US military presense in Japan, so I can imagine his feeling now there is one of the enemy living next to him.

Dana

Just shout "Remember Pearl Harbor" and pump your fist every time you see him!

Guy Jinbaiquerre
24-05-09, 11:35 AM
They're just pissed they have to let foreigners in at all ... Ein volk! Ein reich! Ein Emperor! etc and they'd still moan, even if there were no foreigners to moan about ... maybe they're English after all? :D

Just ask those guys which they'd rather have in Japan: US troops or North Korean missiles. (What is the JSDF going to do to stop Kim, build a big snow-sculpture shield in Sapporo?) :biggrinjester:

Kamikuza
24-05-09, 10:00 PM
I've heard rumours that the J-DF navy is larger, better equiped and higher tech than the UK navy :blink: North Korea ... what a pack of dicks :lol:

Jav
24-05-09, 10:09 PM
Personally, I believe the US is here to abate Japan's rising to support itself. Anyone who doubts that Japan can hold its own against North Korea or any country should
pick up a history book.

Loco
25-05-09, 01:02 AM
ahhheeemmm.... but Japan defending it self with US designed weapons ie AEGIS, PAC-3, Any BALLISTIC MISSLE DEFENSE EQUIPMENT WHATSOEVER should not be considered self reliance....

But hell all of our military equipment is made in Taiwan anyway....