PDA

View Full Version : Schuberth C3 = awesome helmet!

Guy Jinbaiquerre
21-12-09, 09:59 AM
I've been using a Schuberth C2 for a while now and I liked it. It eliminated the "hot spot" on my forehead that I got when riding with a Shoei Syncrotec. But I tried on a C3 at Naps the other day and bought it on the spot -- the fit was absolutely perfect. If you made a model of my head and built a helmet around it, it couldn't fit any better.

On top of that, Schuberth fixed a lot of the flaws in the old C2. The flip-up release switch is now centered under the chin guard, not awkwardly off on the left side. and it's easier to operate. There's a nifty ski boot-style ratchet on the chin strap that's easy to tighten down snug, and also easy to release. The sun visor is bigger, so you don't see a distracting line where it ends. There's a pinlock thingy to ward off fog. Oh, and did I mention it fits really, REALLY well?

If you are a Schuberth person, I highly recommend the C3.

Jav
21-12-09, 12:42 PM
I will buy one next year. Nothing to do with you post though. I like the design and
quality. Tried to pick one up a few months back, but NAPS did not have any in L size.

Guy Jinbaiquerre
21-12-09, 12:44 PM
Tried to pick one up a few months back, but NAPS did not have any in L size.
They seemed to have a bunch on the shelves when I went, although I didn't look for an L... maybe they got more stock in.

Also try www.webike.net (http://www.webike.net) if you already know your size. It's almost always much cheaper than Naps or other "real world" stores.

(UPDATE: Scratch that, looks like webike doesn't sell Schuberth...)

Kamikuza
22-12-09, 09:58 AM
I'm interested in the S1 IIRC ... I like the idea of a sun visor :D but haven't had a chance to try one on ...

JamesK
11-03-10, 11:12 PM
I will buy one next year. Nothing to do with you post though. I like the design and
quality. Tried to pick one up a few months back, but NAPS did not have any in L size.
Jav, I remember you used to have a Nolan N102 and thought it was OK. You say that you take a size L, so that means your helmet sizing and fit are similar to mine.
I've been running a Nolan N102 for over 65k miles, and am not overly happy with the N102, plus it's getting rather worn out so keeping an eye out for a replacement, and hopefully an upgrade in quality and performance at the same time. I have tried on the N103 which is a significantly better helmet, but still feels like quite a compromise.

Anyway I was wondering if you've had a chance to test fit the C3 and have any feedback on how it fits/works on "our" type of head? What's the pricing of the C3 in Japan, say in just a solid white color?
Do they sell the Nolan N103 in Japan and if so what's the pricing on these? I can get one in the US for $300 for a solid white color.

Twinrider
11-03-10, 11:19 PM
James, just a little more feedback. I've been using a C3 for about a year now and it is awesome. Very light, supremely comfortable, excellent ventilation, easy to wash the interior and the sun visor rules! I paid 66,000 for a matt black and that includes a 3 year warranty. I consider it to be excellent value for the money and I expect it to serve me well for at least 5 years if not longer.

Btw, Jav bought a C3 recently.

JamesK
11-03-10, 11:38 PM
James, just a little more feedback. I've been using a C3 for about a year now and it is awesome. Very light, supremely comfortable, excellent ventilation, easy to wash the interior and the sun visor rules! I paid 66,000 for a matt black and that includes a 3 year warranty. I consider it to be excellent value for the money and I expect it to serve me well for at least 5 years if not longer.

Thx Jim, that's the kind of info i was looking for. Ah good old Japan, everything costs 2x or more :sad: As i mentioned I can pick up an N103 here for around $300 but it just does not feel like it's worth even that. I know the N102 i am using sucks in many aspects, including wind buffeting and noise level (with 33dB NR ear plugs), leaking through the top of the shield in strong rain, etc, etc.

So i guess i'll squeeze out a little bit more life out of the N102 or hope that someone knocks it off of my seat or something that forces me to upgrade for safety reasons :icon_wink: and look forward to upgrading to the C3 in the future :001_rolleyes:

Twinrider
11-03-10, 11:46 PM
Thx Jim, that's the kind of info i was looking for. Ah good old Japan, everything costs 2x or more :sad: As i mentioned I can pick up an N103 here for around $300 but it just does not feel like it's worth even that. I know the N102 i am using sucks in many aspects, including wind buffeting and noise level (with 33dB NR ear plugs), leaking through the top of the shield in strong rain, etc, etc.

So i guess i'll squeeze out a little bit more life out of the N102 or hope that someone knocks it off of my seat or something that forces me to upgrade for safety reasons :icon_wink: and look forward to upgrading to the C3 in the future :001_rolleyes:

The C3 is even more expensive in the UK and Germany. This is the "cheap" shop that US buyers gray-import from and it costs 530 quid (72,000). http://www.designerhelmets.com/proddetail.php?art_no=SCH_C3STR_GW&prod=C3&cat=Schuberth&info=3&sale=0

In any case it's well worth the asking price here, which incidentally over 5 years works out to a little more than 1,000 per month.

Guy Jinbaiquerre
11-03-10, 11:56 PM
Jim or any other C3 wearers out there: I cleaned the visor of my C3 inside and out gently with a damp paper towel... and now I get some fogging on the right side sometimes when it's cold out. Did I damage the pinlock seal somehow while cleaning the visor? (I was being gentle, honest!) And can I fix it?

Twinrider
12-03-10, 07:37 AM
The pinlock has a very thin bead of rubber that seals in air on the inside between the visor and the pinlock, preventing the visor from fogging up. I don't think the rubber seal would be damaged unless you rubbed the seal itself pretty hard. I'd recommend taking out the pinlock, washing it in soapy water (nothing stronger than dish soap), drying it carefully, then putting it back on the visor. Btw, it's easier to fit to the pinlock if you bend the visor so it's straight.

Btw, never use a paper towel to clean visors (or sunglasses) as the wood fiber it contains can scratch. Cotton, a damp sponge or a microfiber cloth work well.

Kamikuza
12-03-10, 09:55 AM
Also, if your visor is curved from top to bottom you got to make sure you seated the Pinlock insert properly so it's sealed top to bottom.
Oh and don't wash it in warm water then go out in the cold :D and any moisture trapped under the Pinlock will fog too ... make sure it's 100% dry.

Kevbodian
12-03-10, 03:54 PM
Oh I like that C3. I might 'accidentally drop' my Shoei so I have an excuse for my wife to buy the C3.

Twinrider
12-03-10, 04:13 PM
Or you could just stop making excuses for how you spend your money :icon_lol:

Jav
12-03-10, 04:43 PM
Bought one a few months back. It is so light compared to my older Nolan and also much quieter. Expensive but well worth it, in my opinion.

Guy Jinbaiquerre
12-03-10, 11:06 PM
The pinlock has a very thin bead of rubber that seals in air on the inside between the visor and the pinlock, preventing the visor from fogging up. I don't think the rubber seal would be damaged unless you rubbed the seal itself pretty hard. I'd recommend taking out the pinlock, washing it in soapy water (nothing stronger than dish soap), drying it carefully, then putting it back on the visor. Btw, it's easier to fit to the pinlock if you bend the visor so it's straight.

Btw, never use a paper towel to clean visors (or sunglasses) as the wood fiber it contains can scratch. Cotton, a damp sponge or a microfiber cloth work well.
Yeah, the pinlock seal is probably fine. But I read the instruction manual and it looks like the paper towel fibers and the windex I used both hurt the anti-fog coating on the plastic. D'oh!

But really, who ever reads the instruction manual for a helmet?!

Twinrider
12-03-10, 11:09 PM
Odd because I was told by the Schuberth Japan rep that Schuberth went with the pinlock on the C3 so they could do away with the easily damaged anti-fog coating. I'd still try taking it off, cleaning both and carefully reassembling them.

btw, you probably know it now but never use anything stronger on a visor than mild soap. I also learned the hard way....

Kevbodian
13-03-10, 07:59 AM
I do need to stand up for myself to the wife. Although, I must admit that I have spent a lot and the baby is possibly more important. :icon_cool:

Am I in a dream land thinking there is a shop in Japan that I can just walk in, tell them what carburetor I have and they will pull the jets I request off of a shelf in the back?

chozzer
14-03-10, 04:36 PM

I've looked at Schuberths in the past and found shell styling a bit "space helmet" but the C3 looks very nice.

I've almost exclusively bought Arai RX7RR's over last few years but love the look of the C3 sun visor and have never found a flip up I liked so far.

Is the fitting for Schuberth models in Japan a "western" style fitting? i.e. not the huge pressure on the forehead pad sizing. I'm an Arai Medium (US/UK versions).

Twinrider
14-03-10, 04:42 PM
It's the same spec as the one sold in Europe. The outside shell is much smaller than that of its predecessor, the C2.

Kamikuza
14-03-10, 10:11 PM
Windex? That's for glass, isn't it?
Best clean I've had on visors is with dishwash liquid and hot water ...

Jav
14-03-10, 11:08 PM
JamesK,

Sorry I missed your question. Compared to my old Nolan, the C3 is awesome. Light, quite, comfortable and the sun visor works better than the external Nolan unit.
I do have one gripe, but it is small. The C3 is designed to sort of seal out noises, and the lower chin seal ( can't think of the word at this point ) sort of gets in the
way when putting on the helmet. Once the helmet is on, it is no problem. The seals work so well, I think ear plugs are not required. The C3 is also lighter than
my 3year old Shoei full face helmet, and I though that was light.

rdkng103
27-09-10, 12:38 PM
OK, I am now officially a member of the exclusive "C3" Club. Mine showed up today delivered from Designer Helmets in the UK for a total of 453 quid which at today's exchange rate comes out to about 715 USD. A little bit less than I would have paid here in Japan (about 815 USD at today's exchange rate).

RC51
27-09-10, 12:54 PM
OK, I am now officially a member of the exclusive "C3" Club. Mine showed up today delivered from Designer Helmets in the UK for a total of 453 quid which at today's exchange rate comes out to about 715 USD. A little bit less than I would have paid here in Japan (about 815 USD at today's exchange rate).

Schuberths are great.
The first time I put mine on I noticed a big reduction in noise.
The only down side it the limited color patterns.

chozzer
27-09-10, 01:02 PM

Wahey - did you get matt black?

Guy Jinbaiquerre
27-09-10, 01:13 PM
Schuberths are great.
The first time I put mine on I noticed a big reduction in noise.
The only down side it the limited color patterns.
They do have some snazzy new graphics options now...

http://manbou.smugmug.com/photos/1023834908_yCV4b-XL.jpg

Jav
27-09-10, 01:26 PM
Congrats. I love my C3! One of the best helmets I have purchased to-date.

Guy Jinbaiquerre
27-09-10, 02:22 PM
They have a limited-edition carbon C3 out now... I would love one but I am sure it costs over 100,000 yen; I can think of better uses for that kind of money.

Jav
27-09-10, 03:14 PM
Girlie bars................... :icon_wink:

rdkng103
27-09-10, 06:02 PM
Wahey - did you get matt black?

Yep! Goes good with the XR :icon_wink:

Guy Jinbaiquerre
27-09-10, 06:24 PM
Girlie bars................... :icon_wink:
So that's where all those "donations to the site" end up, eh?

Jav
27-09-10, 10:13 PM
So that's where all those "donations to the site" end up, eh?

No. Tittie tours....................... :icon_lol: