PDA

View Full Version : Icon Airframe/AFGMoto shop

NNW
27-07-10, 10:10 PM
So after my sometimes painful search for a helmet which started sometime in May, I've finally made the plunge. I made the 2 hr. trip from home down to the AFG shop and met up with Jason who showed me their product line up and gave me some good advice on how to pick one. With my football shaped head, I had pretty well given up on a large size and went straight for the xls. After a short chat I had tried on a large which fit snugly, much more than my previous old Shoei cheapo. Jason swapped around pads for me a few times, and hey presto! I walked out with a shiny new helmet. The fit is pretty bloody good, and I got to test for wind noise coming back on the freeway, I can hear the music in my headphones nicely, and there is no wind rushing up under the helmet to create a vacuum on my ear drums. Almost all the vibration I had before is now gone. If I were on closed track I would have been able to go about 170 before any serious vibration from the turbulence off my windscreen (of course I would never test speeds like that on a highway). That in comparison to about 120 for my old helmet is considerable. The venting system is good, but I didn't really notice it until I got back near the mountains and out of 35degree temperatures. 35 degree wind is still pretty warm.
All in all, pleased with the helmets functionality and looks, it didn't even fog in rain on the way back, and it was prime foggy lens weather. Jason cut me a really, really great deal on it, and even threw in a couple of extras for me. I saved enough to make it worthwhile to ride all the way down with tolls from all the way up by Niigata.
A big thanks to the AFG shop, and also thanks again for showing me around the bikes at the store, I now know where to go for some serious mods if I ever get the cash together.

Fastbike
27-07-10, 11:36 PM
Sounds like you got a good deal... must go shopping there soon...

chozzer
27-07-10, 11:41 PM
I spent years wearing misfitted L Arai's, when I was M all along.

Good news that you had good advice. Must also pop down there - feel a helmet job coming on.

tokyojrock
28-07-10, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the kind words NNW! It was a pleasure to help you. And it was nice to meet yet another GR friend. All are welcome here! With out posting the discounts I make available to GR members, you could tell by the smile on his face he was stoked! And he is rocking a very nice Claymore Airframe! Mods and purchases or not, your always welcome to come hang around if you have the time. Once we move to our new location within the next few months we will have a riders lounge area to chill, hang, enjoy some beverage, and maybe browse some catalogs and magazines. We want AFG Moto to become the pinnacle riders destination for 2 wheeled brotherhood....sisters welcome too!

NNW
31-07-10, 10:18 AM
Thanks again TJRock, the helmet is breaking in nicely! I have a couple of envious friends now!

sanda0763
24-05-11, 08:41 PM
Good news that you had good advice.

Guy Jinbaiquerre
24-05-11, 11:47 PM
Must also pop down there - feel a helmet job coming on.
After TJR gets done eating the Keisho owner's ass, he can give you a helmet job! :icon_lol:

waruta
24-05-11, 11:50 PM
Oh snap....gotta feeling this thread is slowly migrating it's way to the Tar Pit....

cmac
25-05-11, 12:57 AM
Had my eye on a few different helmet options when I read this review last year. The airframe made the short list due to its tri-composite construction, aero characteristics and moisture wicking liner. TJR's pricing for GR sealed the decision and I recently ordered up an Airframe. Paid Monday, delivered Tuesday - seriously fast as the delivery guy arrived before I was even out of bed!
Having ridden only a few times with it, I'll give it a 1st date thumbs up! Looks sharp, fits well, is quiiiiiiet at legal speeds and like NNW said, no eardrum suckin under ear buffeting. Venting is awesome! Most recent lids I'm comparing it to are a SHOEI X-9 and ARAI RX7.
Still has to be put through a few hoops but looking good so far.

Cheers TJR :icon_up:

GraFfiTi_RR
25-05-11, 01:37 AM
NNW CONGRATS ON UR NEW HELMET! good buy. I love my airframe too, carbon lifeform!! awesome ventilation, love the no fog visor, and love the design! AFG did hook it up and i am always pleased with their service. My family and friends visit frequently and shop around. It's an hr and half drive for us sometimes (depending on traffic). Can't wait to see the new shop and rider lounge haha.

tokyojrock
25-05-11, 04:40 PM
NNW CONGRATS ON UR NEW HELMET! good buy. I love my airframe too, carbon lifeform!! awesome ventilation, love the no fog visor, and love the design! AFG did hook it up and i am always pleased with their service. My family and friends visit frequently and shop around. It's an hr and half drive for us sometimes (depending on traffic). Can't wait to see the new shop and rider lounge haha.

Look at the post date! :-) he bought that almost a year ago and 5 days before my wreck!!

Guy Jinbaiquerre
25-05-11, 05:41 PM
I got my next helmet right here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cy2xXf_eJ0

(No, not really)

GraFfiTi_RR
25-05-11, 08:10 PM
Look at the post date! :-) he bought that almost a year ago and 5 days before my wreck!!

lol damm.. i saw the other post dates and it under new posts. didnt c the date of the orig post tho hahaha.. thanks j..

NNW
09-09-11, 08:08 PM
Still digging the helmet, worked out great for me, but I have to admit falling in love with the variant helmet. They look good and ride great. Another 500Y in the piggy bank...

Kamikuza
09-09-11, 09:51 PM
I've decided on a Variant too ... I just getting around to organizing cash and trying to decide on a colour :o J is my man :)

FromHell
12-09-11, 08:59 AM
Any recommendations for people who hate full face helmets?

Guy Jinbaiquerre
12-09-11, 09:59 AM
Any recommendations for people who hate full face helmets?
Yeah: Don't ride motorcycles.

Here's a diagram from the Hurt Report on which sections of a helmet are statistically most likely to be impacted in a crash:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Images/helmetDamage.gif

See how the most likely part of the helmet to get hit is the part that only full-face helmets have? Yeah.

The only time I had a real crash with a car, my full-face helmet hit the asphalt on the part that covers your jaw below the visor. It was a stupid low-speed crash coming out of a parking lot, but I still hit the ground hard enough. The helmet ate a lot of damage that would have gone straight to my own face.

Maybe the reason you hate full-face helmets is that you just haven't found one that fits you comfortably yet. Try a few different models and brands, and see. But if you absolutely, positively can't stand full-face helmets and still want to ride, try the Schuberth J1, which at least has a skinny bar around your jaw. It's better than nothing:

http://www.reddogmotorcycles.co.uk/uploads/images/RedDog4717shop.jpg

We all make our own choices in life, and I would never try to force someone to use gear they don't want to use. But that's my recommendation.

waruta
12-09-11, 10:16 AM
Yeah: Don't ride motorcycles.

Here's a diagram from the Hurt Report on which sections of a helmet are statistically most likely to be impacted in a crash:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Images/helmetDamage.gif

See how the most likely part of the helmet to get hit is the part that only full-face helmets have? Yeah.

The only time I had a real crash with a car, my full-face helmet hit the asphalt on the part that covers your jaw below the visor. It was a stupid low-speed crash coming out of a parking lot, but I still hit the ground hard enough. The helmet ate a lot of damage that would have gone straight to my own face.

Maybe the reason you hate full-face helmets is that you just haven't found one that fits you comfortably yet. Try a few different models and brands, and see. But if you absolutely, positively can't stand full-face helmets and still want to ride, try the Schuberth J1, which at least has a skinny bar around your jaw. It's better than nothing:

http://www.reddogmotorcycles.co.uk/uploads/images/RedDog4717shop.jpg

We all make our own choices in life, and I would never try to force someone to use gear they don't want to use. But that's my recommendation.

+1 GJ, I've had some scary low and high speed crashes, some helmets have even ended up with a heavy gouges across the entire front side with yellow paint melted in. I just don't feel safe in a half-shell or any alternative...

FromHell
12-09-11, 10:29 AM
Yeah I know the statistics but up till now every time I tried on a FF helmet it felt like I was inside a coffin, which kind of defeats the purpose of motorcycling. Anyway as I was writing out a response I realized I answered my own question -- need to take some time and ride up to AFG Moto and handle a few different kinds and talk to someone who knows their stuff. I've got a cheap Tachibana full face but it fits like a brick and the folks at Naps are half retarded and not really suited to helping out with this kind of thing.

Jav
12-09-11, 10:35 AM
There are many matt black full face helmets that look good and protect your head. Some of us on this
forum are relatively experienced at "tarmac surfing" and you do not want to do that with a half face helmet.

From Advrider

A friend and I were heading home after an Epic 200 mile +Dual sport Yesterday here in San Deigeo & Riverside County. .....

We had just turned left on hwy 79 (at the base of Palomar mountain) and were heading towards Warner springs on the pavement for the return trip back to Ramona.We had just split with the group we were with (San Diego Adventur Riders). We decided that reversing the route in the dirt could be a crash waiting to happen since we were both pretty tired so we talked about it and agreed that a leisurly pace on the pavement for the return trip was the better option.

About 5 miles into the 79 we came across a Harley rider who drifted to far to the outside edge of a right turn and ended up "low siding" after losing it on the dirt shoulder on the opposite side of the road from where he started the turn.

We stopped to help out of course until EMT's could get there.

The bike was pretty thrashed but what I saw really disturbed me. he was wearing one of those "half helmets", no gloves and just a T-shirt.... His arms, back, chest and hands were pretty torn up but his face looked like something out of a horror movie .

He was concious and it did not appear that he had any visible broken (compound) breaks. There was a forest service ranger on scene with a medic kit and O2. I helped him with the rider. We did not allow any one to move him until they (EMT's ) could get a board and stabilize / secure his head. All I could do for the time being was use bandages stop the bleeding and talk to the guy until help arrived which was not more then 5-10 minutes.

I honestly think if that rider had been wearing a full face helmet, full leathers and gloves he might have fared much better than he did.

I will never, ever ride without full protection again after seeing that.

I pray that he is going to be okay and I am so thankful that we (my riding partner and I) were not in the lane at the time when he drifted over into the oncoming lane.

As you guys say here ATGATT!!!

Gunner

Kamikuza
12-09-11, 10:37 AM
Change your thinking - rather than a coffin, think of the womb all wrapped up safe inside mom.

Personaly, I like swaddling myself up in the all the gear. I have minimal scars to show from crashes, all because of good and appropriate gear. The scars I do have are from not wearing gear.

The only thing worse than an open face helmet (from a safety standpoint) are those pudding bowls that scooter twits wear ...

FromHell
12-09-11, 10:59 AM
Ha that's not only gross but lends itself to far too many off-color comments....

EvilTwin
12-09-11, 12:54 PM
I flirted with half helmets and beanies for a few months.... went right back to full face. I never could get comfortable with my face exposed.

Last helmet I was using (currently in between bikes) was a Shoei Multitec, which really did the job for me - being able to lift up the face of the helmet when stopped did a lot for getting rid of the claustrophobic feeling, and they look OK in matte.

tokyojrock
12-09-11, 02:15 PM
Good to hear that! I should dig up my files from DOT testing and certifications that show the results of impacts with Half lids. Not pretty and makes you think big time! And Over 90% of accidents on motorcycles have chin bar or facial impact. Dress for the crash, not the weather or the ride.
I flirted with half helmets and beanies for a few months.... went right back to full face. I never could get comfortable with my face exposed.

Last helmet I was using (currently in between bikes) was a Shoei Multitec, which really did the job for me - being able to lift up the face of the helmet when stopped did a lot for getting rid of the claustrophobic feeling, and they look OK in matte.