PDA

View Full Version : Used my Powerlet heated jacket on my commute today... so nice!

Guy Jinbaiquerre
17-11-10, 08:35 AM
Ahh... being warm is good.

I went without heated gear for years and years... wish I'd started using it a long time ago.

Tokyo_Road_King
17-11-10, 09:03 AM
Can I get a good heated jacket for less than 5 man? The problem is that I'm not good at wiring... Should I get a heated jacket that uses lithium batteries instead?

Guy Jinbaiquerre
17-11-10, 09:49 AM
Can I get a good heated jacket for less than 5 man? The problem is that I'm not good at wiring... Should I get a heated jacket that uses lithium batteries instead?
How about less than 3 man?

http://www.apache-r.com/powerlet/shopP01detail.html

Bear in mind that's only for the jacket, not the heat controller or any extra wires or connectors. Jim at Eastern Beaver can hook you up with those:

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Powerlet/powerlet.html

If you ride out to Jim's place, he'll even wire you up.

Fastbike
17-11-10, 09:57 AM
just go and see Jim he will sort you out..

Guy Jinbaiquerre
17-11-10, 10:56 AM
just go and see Jim he will sort you out..
Nope, Jim stopped selling the jackets and other clothing. He only sells the wires and controllers now.

rdkng103
17-11-10, 11:14 AM
I picked up from Gerbing a Jacket Liner, Gloves, and Dual Element Temp Controller for $470.00 U.S. which is about 38,000yen at today's exchange rate. Takes about 15 minutes to hook up the provided fuze protected power cable directly to your battery terminals. Although I received mine through the Military Postal System, Gerbing will ship to Japan via other methods.

I looked at a pair of Glove Liners at Rough and Road a few weeks ago and they were asking 13,000yen ($162.50 U.S.) for them. Even if you have to pay a Duty on items shipped from Gerbing I'm sure you will still save a considerable sum of $$$.

chozzer
17-11-10, 11:33 AM
Ahh... being warm is good.

I went without heated gear for years and years... wish I'd started using it a long time ago.

I have only just joined the Powerlet ranks. After thinking it was every so slightly wussy - I realised how wrong I was. I used to think the same about heated grips, but both my bikes have them fitted now.

Jim at Eastern Beaver is great - he is sorting me out with a Wireless Controller (very cool).

If you order a Powerlet controller, you get the battery connector thrown in too.

Wiring a connector straight to battery is something even I can do.

When not in use tuck under the seat, and just in case the connector has a rubber cap as well.

I got my Powerlet vest when I was last in the US a couple of weeks ago for $130. Jim sells the wireless controller for $95. Thats less than 2 man all in!

Guy Jinbaiquerre
17-11-10, 12:16 PM
Those wireless controllers (and panel-installable controllers, too!) must be new! I got my system in May and they didn't have any of that back then. Time to upgrade...

Twinrider
17-11-10, 03:20 PM
I like Gerbing's lifetime warranty on the heating elements in its gloves and jacket. My old jacket liner finally stopped heating up and they are replacing it for free. I really wanted to get the Warmnsafe (maker of Powerlet heated gear and controllers) carbon gloves but after reading about too many failures with them and their limited two year warranty I've decided to get Gerbing G3 gloves.

Will buy the Warmnsafe remote controller from Jim though.

Zubon
17-11-10, 04:24 PM
My heated jacket is a lifesaver. Together with thermal underwear and a thick lined riding jacket I am nice and warm.

If you are thinking of getting one, be sure to check that your charging system can output enough power. My bike is kick start only and has a very weak alternator so I had to be careful about power consumption.

Guy Jinbaiquerre
17-11-10, 04:25 PM
If you are thinking of getting one, be sure to check that your charging system can output enough power. My bike is kick start only and has a very weak alternator so I had to be careful about power consumption.
Yep, that's why it's a good idea to also run a voltmeter, especially if you have other stuff drawing power like auxiliary lights.

haildamage
19-11-10, 07:13 AM
i cant believe everybody doesnt use them!

be careful about buying direct from Gerbing. a buddy bought a jacket from them and had it shipped to japan. they forgot to include a wiring harness! he called them many times but they were so incompetent that he could never get his problem solved. he finally had to go to all the trouble to dispute the charge with his credit card company before they finally sent him the wiring harness, by which time winter was completely over! if you go gerbing, buy from a third party, not directly as the owner has a bad reputation and their customer service sucks!

aerostich has some electric jackets on sale now for less than $200.

http://www.aerostich.com/sale-items/electrics-fleecewear/aerostich-kanetsu-tltec-wind-blocker-electric-liner.html

rdkng103
19-11-10, 08:29 AM
i cant believe everybody doesnt use them!

be careful about buying direct from Gerbing. a buddy bought a jacket from them and had it shipped to japan. they forgot to include a wiring harness! he called them many times but they were so incompetent that he could never get his problem solved. he finally had to go to all the trouble to dispute the charge with his credit card company before they finally sent him the wiring harness, by which time winter was completely over! if you go gerbing, buy from a third party, not directly as the owner has a bad reputation and their customer service sucks!

aerostich has some electric jackets on sale now for less than $200.

http://www.aerostich.com/sale-items/electrics-fleecewear/aerostich-kanetsu-tltec-wind-blocker-electric-liner.html

I've recently purchased a complete set of jackets and gloves for both myself and the wife direct from GERBING's and had to return several items due to improper fitting. One phone call is all it took to get a return reference number and new items ordered and shipped. Still waiting on the refund for returned items to show up on my credit card but it's only been a few days since I sent everything back. The girl I spoke with was both courteous and knowledgeable.

I'm actually looking forward to colder days so I can fully appreciate the gear : )

haildamage
19-11-10, 11:49 AM
I've recently purchased a complete set of jackets and gloves for both myself and the wife direct from GERBING's and had to return several items due to improper fitting. One phone call is all it took to get a return reference number and new items ordered and shipped. Still waiting on the refund for returned items to show up on my credit card but it's only been a few days since I sent everything back. The girl I spoke with was both courteous and knowledgeable.

I'm actually looking forward to colder days so I can fully appreciate the gear : )

yeah, my buddies problem was outside of the normal customer service situations like yours. it was a mistake on their part that should have still been easy to correct with one phone call and them shipping out the missing wiring harness immediately. instead, they kept giving him the run around everytime he called and never corrected the problem until he went to so much trouble to file the paperwork to contest the charges. it was a major hassle and a nightmare to deal with them

i brought this story up on ADV rider and a number of riders have also had problems with Gerbings customer service. it seems that the son took over after the father retired and he is a bit of a tit from what i understand...

anyway, buy from them directly at your own risk because if you do have a problem you could be SOL!