PDA

View Full Version : Navi gurus. Advice needed.

thebob
15-05-11, 11:28 AM
I'm in the market for a bike NAVI. I'm looking for a budget model that can run upupdown, because I think they are the only english maps.

I use a MAC so capability would be a bonus, although I could load Windows, although I'd prefer not to.

If you were buying now, what would you buy, where would you buy it?

Thanks in advance.

Loco
15-05-11, 11:55 AM
There is an iPhone app that is navi and full ego. Could be used on iPhone or iPad with 3G.

I use google maps navi on my iPhone and have a waterproof bar mount and charger coming to run it on the FZ.... Always an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jav
15-05-11, 12:52 PM
Garmin devices are most popular with forum members. One nice thing is that you can share
maps for longer trips, or when there is a planned route. Some Zumo`s going for under $30K
on Yahoo.

http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/search?select=02&ei=UTF-8&p=Zumo+550&auccat=0&mode=1&tab_ex=commerce&slider=0

Japlander
15-05-11, 01:08 PM
I posted a reply and it disappeared maybe I posted the same time as you JAV, now i'm pissed so its the short reply...

gogonavigator japan
iphone
me only ipodtouch no gps useful offline maps
many poi english also address search
complements my shittynavi402-black

cheap navi options...zenrin or mapple mapsets?

Lugn
15-05-11, 08:59 PM
Also on the look-out for a navi and have my eyes set on Garmin. How user-friendly are these things? I.e. can I enter an address using roman characters? Are city names displayed in roman characters, etc?
I assume maps can be downloaded from certain internet sites...?

Yes, I am learning Japanese, but it's the last thing I want to focus on while riding...

Guy Jinbaiquerre
15-05-11, 10:53 PM
Yes, I am learning Japanese, but it's the last thing I want to focus on while riding...
Figuring out kanji before you crash or miss an exit is a great incentive to memorize them!

After using a Japanese Garmin for over 3 years, I probably recognize some obscure "place name" kanji better than a lot of everyday ones.

gordthebiker250
15-05-11, 11:16 PM
Garmin devices are most popular with forum members. One nice thing is that you can share
maps for longer trips, or when there is a planned route. Some Zumo`s going for under $30K
on Yahoo.

http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/search?select=02&ei=UTF-8&p=Zumo+550&auccat=0&mode=1&tab_ex=commerce&slider=0

I'm with Jav, you've got English on the Iphone as a reference for the 550. It's waterproof, solid cradle and English menus. It also seems to have good reception compared to my Broadzone Jp navi.

Jim Davis
17-05-11, 07:52 PM
I got a Nuvi 550 from amazon.com. Just over $200. I loaded it with UpUpDown map and it's great. I think a waterproof Navi is the only way to go. I also use it in the car and hiking. Doesn't have the bells and whistles of the Zumo but I don't need them. Makes it much easier to use too.

UpUpDown new map is not cheap though but it is English.

thebob
25-05-11, 09:17 PM
I went for a Biologic case for my iPhone and Go Go Navigator Japan.

I jested the case by leaving it in the rain for a night and it seemed to hold up ok.

Go Go Navi isn't perfect, but it's a darn sight better than nothing.

http://www.gaijinriders.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6725&d=1306040748

gordthebiker250
25-05-11, 09:31 PM
Has your bike got a speed limiter cuto?

thebob
25-05-11, 09:39 PM
No I think I need an ECU and speedo from the UK.

gordthebiker250
25-05-11, 09:58 PM
You can get Red Rev boxes made by Posh for most bikes...