PDA

View Full Version : Sunglasses Recommendation?

nanikore
21-05-12, 04:51 PM
Sry, a bit off topic, but I'm looking for a new pair of sunglasses - I don't ordinarily wear them, and the pair I'd had for 10 years (Dragon?) died last year. Not too worried about this year's fashion, but something durable, work on bicycle and real bike as well as hiking and camping. Budget around 10,000yen (if they last another 10 years!), or should I get a much cheaper pair every couple of years as some friends do.

Twinrider
21-05-12, 05:38 PM
Try wiggle, much cheaper than here and free shipping on orders 50 quid or more. The DHB triple lenses are handy because you can switch to clear for night rides.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?s=sunglasses

Kamikuza
21-05-12, 07:33 PM
My vote is for 720-armour!
... I originally bought a pair of the Shark v1 glasses for water sports and emailed them about buying in Japan. They gave me a link to online vendors - then a few months later asked if I wanted to test their new Sharks ... so I got a free pair :D

Since then, I've bought some "regular" sunnies - http://www.720-armour.com/_english/02_products/03_pro_detail.php?MainID=11&SID=153
Those were about Y7,000 IIRC and are great! Very light and comfy.

Oh, if you want some Wiley-X SG-1's I've got 2 pairs I'm not using I can sell cheap. They come with arms or goggle straps and ddark & clear lenses ... all highly impact resistant :o
http://www.amazon.com/Wiley-x-71-SG-1-Smoke-Clear/dp/B000QRMR1M

nanikore
21-05-12, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the links - going to have a good read through tonight. All my local outdoor places just slop out Oakley and the usual suspects but I just don't seem to get on with them.

Kamikuza
21-05-12, 08:36 PM
I used to be an Oakley weenie too ... but came to the opinion that they're not the best value; price versus how long they last. So long as the glasses are UV blocking and preferably polarized, I'm happy. Costco did some Y4,000 wire-frame jobbies that looked and felt good ... but they stopped selling that style :( and I don't like the new ones!

racer162
22-05-12, 04:00 AM
I vote for Maui Jim , I've taken mine to altitudes of 8,000 meters their awesome.

nanikore
22-05-12, 04:02 PM
Thanks all.

I like the basic 720s, just looking for a distributor. I'm also kind of interested in those Wiley X goggles too, but I suspect not really going to be comfortable for camping! Before I decide I will take a look at the MauiJims also.

Oakleys I've never actually owned - they just felt overpriced and over-designed, and friends who've owned them have often said they're not too rugged, but I suspect they're not designed to be (I think the guy who started Oakley went on to do RED cameras?)

waruta
22-05-12, 04:13 PM
FWIW, had an ol GF that used to work with all major brands of sunglasses, I used to really love Oakleys but the lenses in them would distort images a bit compared to other lens makers-turned-sunglasses makers (RayBan/Bausch Lomb) Maui Jims apparently have the best lenses in the business and are optically corrected for the curvature and everything that Oakleys are (polycarbonate, shatterproof, etc, etc ) except that they just don't call their stuff Unobtainum, Razor, etc...etc...marketing stuff.

Unfortunately I just didn't like their style and never got around to buying a pair, did buy a set of RayBans which I promptly gave away (cause I look stupid in them) after using them for a trip, but definitely want some of the newer MJ stuff.

Kamikuza
22-05-12, 07:54 PM
Thanks all.

I like the basic 720s, just looking for a distributor. I'm also kind of interested in those Wiley X goggles too, but I suspect not really going to be comfortable for camping! Before I decide I will take a look at the MauiJims also.

Oakleys I've never actually owned - they just felt overpriced and over-designed, and friends who've owned them have often said they're not too rugged, but I suspect they're not designed to be (I think the guy who started Oakley went on to do RED cameras?)
www.chainreactioncycles.com for some of the 720-armour stuff ... although if you email the company directly, they will probably sell it to you that way - they offered to do that for spare lenses etc for me.

The Wiley-X come with arms that swap out the straps ...

Never heard of MauiJim before ... off to google ...

Jav
22-05-12, 08:18 PM
I have a few pairs of Ray Bans, as i usually picked up deals when i am on international travel.
Love the polarised versions for the street in summer, as you can see past glaring windscreens
and actually see the driver. One pair is 15yrs old, the others close to 7. So I cannot complain
on value for money. But not sure what i paid as i was usually getting rid of excess foreign currency
on the way back from somewhere.

nanikore
23-05-12, 02:13 PM
Minor note - saw this on the 720 site under product maintenance:

Keep your sunglasses out of intense heat (ex. Next to a heater, sunlight)

Guy Jinbaiquerre
23-05-12, 02:45 PM
This is the Oakley "Over The Top" model:

http://www.makotoweb.com/app-static/img/42494/DSC0627_85_.JPG

Kamikuza
23-05-12, 03:15 PM
Minor note - saw this on the 720 site under product maintenance:
Probably means like on the dashboard of your car while you're in shopping for you next set of panniers ;)