PDA

View Full Version : New Sena SMH10-11 -- how is it different from the SMH10?

Guy Jinbaiquerre
28-08-12, 08:39 PM
Sena apparently has the new SMH10-11 out now:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-smh10-11-universal-bluetooth-headset

How's it different from the SMH10?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-smh-10-bluetooth-stereo-headset

I've used the SMH10 on a few rides now and I'm a big fan. I can't see what they changed with the 10-11, though. Is it just the SMH10 with the latest firmware already installed?

rdkng103
28-08-12, 09:00 PM
Your SMH10 was likely outdated prior to it's release. The companies that make these things are always going to hold back technology on an as "lusted" basis to keep the competition and consumer levels peaked.

Twinrider
28-08-12, 09:15 PM
Looks have changed a little but quickly perusing the specs of both, I didn't notice any difference.

Edit: The Q&A on Revzilla outlines the difference as this. Doesn't seem to matter much as the SMH-10 still lets you use earbuds and a boom or bud mic.

This model:

a) allows you to use earbuds instead of the in-helmet speakers. this greatly increases the sound quality and blocks some wind noise, making listening to music possible. the in-helmet speakers do not have the power to make mid and low range frequencies audible at speed. this of course depends on the helmet and wind protection you have; some folks on GoldWings are fine, but I'm on an FJR and it was pointless to try to listen to music over 35mph. in-helmet speakers are fine for intercom, but that's about it.

b) allows you to switch between a boom mic and a bud mic. the bud mic is for full face helmets and just sticks on the inside of your helmet near your mouth. it doesnt seem to do as good of a job canceling wind noise though.

Guy Jinbaiquerre
28-08-12, 09:45 PM
Your SMH10 was likely outdated prior to it's release. The companies that make these things are always going to hold back technology on an as "lusted" basis to keep the competition and consumer levels peaked.
Hmm, and I always thought companies try to release products with better technology to win over consumers and beat the competition. I knew I should have gone to business school!

Anyway, it doesn't seem like the SMH10 was outdated prior to its release, or that Sena is holding back on the good stuff. As soon as Sena works out an improvement, it releases a free firmware update. That doesn't sound like a company that's trying to get its customers to keep shelling out cash for the next incremental upgrade.

Guy Jinbaiquerre
28-08-12, 09:46 PM
Edit: The Q&A on Revzilla outlines the difference as this. Doesn't seem to matter much as the SMH-10 still lets you use earbuds and a boom or bud mic.
So, different looks, and it comes with the optional wired mic and earbuds? Move along, nothing to see here...

Jav
11-11-12, 10:41 PM
Just as heads up on quality. One of my two Sena units failed. I sent it back for repair and they
replaced it with a unit that will no hold a charge ( battery ). So back again. Not at all impressed with their
quality.

RedSquare
02-06-14, 03:36 PM
I am about to buy a SMH10-11 on Amazon. Unless someone has one they would like to sell?

Twinrider
02-06-14, 03:49 PM
The Sena 20S is debuting soon, might want to check that out.

RedSquare
02-06-14, 04:18 PM
The Sena 20S is debuting soon, might want to check that out.

Thanks for the heads up. I have chosen not to get the SMH10R, it is getting lacklustre reviews. And the SMH10-11 is cheaper now because of the SMH10R. Maybe the 20S will further drive the price of the SMH10-11 down.
Though I still prefer the form factor of the SMH10-11 to the 20S.

Twinrider
02-06-14, 04:37 PM
The 10 works fine, been using mine for a couple years now and no plans to upgrade to the 20s.

RedSquare
02-06-14, 05:17 PM
SMH10R is too fiddly with the separate battery, and does not have the jog dial. 20S looks silly with the two-tone colour and flip up aerial.
Functionality looks better with 20S, but they need to ditch their designers and go back to SMH10 shape, but maybe a less bulbous knob (ooo-errr)