PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth power... ACTIVATE!

Guy Jinbaiquerre
14-12-12, 12:20 PM
So I got a RAM mount for my smartphone and stuck it on my handlebars, where I've successfully used it to make and receive calls via Bluetooth and my Sena SMH10 while out on the motorcycle! I know this is something some of you guys have been doing for years, but it's new for me and it feels really cool to be able to do it.

Now, some of you may be wondering how I can use my smartphone's capacitive touchscreen with my motorcycle gloves on. Well, the answer is this thing right here:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0077IBRXM/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

You just stick the strip on the index finger of your glove, and you're done. Your motorcycle glove now works with your phone's touchscreen. It seems like the strip would come off or get mangled, but so far no problems. I can turn my phone on, select names, and make a call, all while riding... although I recommend waiting until you're stopped at a red light. :icon_wink:

chozzer
14-12-12, 12:33 PM
So I got a RAM mount for my smartphone and stuck it on my handlebars, where I've successfully used it to make and receive calls via Bluetooth and my Sena SMH10 while out on the motorcycle! I know this is something some of you guys have been doing for years, but it's new for me and it feels really cool to be able to do it.

Now, some of you may be wondering how I can use my smartphone's capacitive touchscreen with my motorcycle gloves on. Well, the answer is this thing right here:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0077IBRXM/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

You just stick the strip on the index finger of your glove, and you're done. Your motorcycle glove now works with your phone's touchscreen. It seems like the strip would come off or get mangled, but so far no problems. I can turn my phone on, select names, and make a call, all while riding... although I recommend waiting until you're stopped at a red light. :icon_wink:

Going to get one of these. I'm looking forward to seeing how the new Google Maps turn by turn navigation works -the App seems really good so far. Really impressed.

Guy Jinbaiquerre
14-12-12, 01:23 PM
Going to get one of these. I'm looking forward to seeing how the new Google Maps turn by turn navigation works -the App seems really good so far. Really impressed.

I ran the Google Maps app on my phone today while riding. Seems to work very well at showing my current location as I ride around (I guess that's more a function of my phone's GPS than the Google app), although I did not use the navigation feature.

JamesK
14-12-12, 02:44 PM
You can also buy some conductive thread, which you carefully stitch on the finger tips, hopefully on the outer layer such as to not compromise the waterproofness of your gloves. I've heard reports that the stick on pads don't last too long...

This thread is cheap and I've already purchased some, just have not gotten around to "installing" it. Not a big fan of fabric welding, but since the old ball-n-chain is not around any more guess I'll have to give it a shot.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metalic-conductive-thread-etip-gloves-touchscreen16-5ft-/280616310863?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item415609184f

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Metalic-conductive-thread-etip-gloves-touchscreen16-5ft-/00/s/ODgwWDY2MA==/$(KGrHqV,!l8E6PG8TneHBOovyPh5GQ~~60_12.JPG

RedSquare
14-12-12, 04:10 PM
I tried the conductive thread on a thick pair of gloves. You only need to go though about five times. I rested the blunt end of the needle on a table and pushed the finger of the glove against the point, going in and out of the glove with each push by pinching the leather into a fold. No need to turn the glove inside out. No skill needed.
It works well.
Took less than 10cm of thread for the one finger. I bought mine from Amazon.

JamesK
14-12-12, 04:36 PM
I tried the conductive thread on a thick pair of gloves. You only need to go though about five times. I rested the blunt end of the needle on a table and pushed the finger of the glove against the point, going in and out of the glove with each push by pinching the leather into a fold. No need to turn the glove inside out. No skill needed.
It works well.
Took less than 10cm of thread for the one finger. I bought mine from Amazon.
Thanks for the tip, I might tackle it one rainy weekend.

Sasane
14-12-12, 05:00 PM
I bought a pair of Degner Smartphone gloves (http://ec.degner.co.jp/item/IS00081N01451.html?PSID=97b71b501d310fbedd7471fdc4 3f7f10) last time I was in NAPS.

Not quite as cheap as adding some conductive thread or tape to your favorite gloves, but they are comfortable and work for me.

As to Google Maps, I have actually been having success using Apple's Map app for navigation lately. The voice commands are really useful, as I currently keep my iPhone tucked in a pocket. My phone is set to English, so it balks at some verbal instructions when the map data is in Japanese. (I was wondering why there were so many "exit 4"s on my route until I realized it was actually "...exit for 浜田道".)

Any suggestions for a waterproof option for mounting my iPhone 5 to my handlebars?

Guy Jinbaiquerre
14-12-12, 05:24 PM
You can also buy some conductive thread, which you carefully stitch on the finger tips, hopefully on the outer layer such as to not compromise the waterproofness of your gloves.
Wait, so the thread doesn't have to go all the way through the glove to contact your finger? (I guess it shouldn't have to, since the tape doesn't go through the glove and touch your finger, either.)

JamesK, don't forget that sewing shop I told you about... that lady would probably do a really professional-looking job of installing the conductive thread.

Guy Jinbaiquerre
14-12-12, 05:27 PM
Any suggestions for a waterproof option for mounting my iPhone 5 to my handlebars?
http://www.rammount.com/Products/AQUABOX/tabid/125/Default.aspx

RedSquare
14-12-12, 05:48 PM
The thread does have to go through and touch your finger. But you can do this by pinching a fold in the glove.
I use a CapDase case from Amazon. I bought it for my iPhone 4 but I can cram my iPhone 5 in it. The buttons don't line up, but it does close. They don't do one yet for the iPhone 5.

haildamage
14-12-12, 06:16 PM
not sure about android. with iphones you can connect it to your zumo 660 and connect your helmet comm system to your 660. then you can bring up your address book, call history, etc on the zumo touchscreen as well as make and receive calls by touching the zumo display screen. this works with your phone in your pocket or wherever. personally, i like having my phone (as well as my spot) in my pocket in case i end up ejected from my bike off the road somewhere. i suppose this is due to seeing the guy ride his bike off a cliff...

Sasane
14-12-12, 08:33 PM
http://www.rammount.com/Products/AQUABOX/tabid/125/Default.aspx

I think I passed over the Ram Mount a while back because the iPhone mount did not fit the iPhone 5. I checked again and see that I missed the large Aqua Box, which will fit a 5. I found the Ram Mounts on Rakuten, so maybe I will order the set up there.
Thanks.