Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Diet advice, philosophy, and jokes

Default Diet advice, philosophy, and jokes

Place all your diet advice, philosophy, jokes and other witticisms in this thread.
    Last edited by Twinrider; 28-11-13 at 01:09 PM.

Default Stuff Twinrider doesn't want in his diet thread

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    Hopefully my results will encourage others to start their own diet challenge threads so we can give each other incentive.[/B]

The program once again will be low carb/no alcohol consumption combined with exercise. I'll be doing weigh-ins every Monday morning and keeping a record of the results here in this first post, so stay tuned.
    I'll join you on this, since I started a diet myself yesterday (Monday, April 1st) with an initial weigh-in of 90.7kg yesterday.

Still way below my all-time high of 104 (yikes), but have gained about half of the weight lost back from last year, when I bottomed out at 76.4. It all started when my parents visited to see their new grandson last fall, then there was my birthday, and Halloween, and Christmas, and New Year's... fun, but enough is enough!

My goal is to match or beat my previous low of 76.5. What's yours?
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    My goal is to match or beat my previous low of 76.5. What's yours?
    Pretty much the same as that.

How tall are you guys?

Haven't weighed in yet but I also started a program yesterday. I'm not going over the top this time like I did three years ago where I was dropping between 1.5 to 2.5 kilos a week for 6 weeks only to feel weak and tired and ultimately giving up.

In the past three years since my previous big loss I've gained about half the weight back mostly through irresponsible use of alcohol. I continue to maintain fairly healthy eating habits although there is room for improvement. Big thing for me will be reducing alcohol intake and maintaining an exercise routine. Goal this time is to maintain a steady strain without getting too hung up on numbers. I'm confident the weight loss will accompany at a comfortable pace that I can sustain. I will monitor and make adjustments but do nothing that will force a binge breakdown. Will start my own thread later this week with initial weigh-in.

Thanks TR for going public with this again

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikuza View Post
    How tall are you guys?
    5'9" here. FWIW, although it's a flawed and widely rejected metric of fitness, the BMI table says I'd be "normal" weight at about 75kg.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Rejected as a metric of fitness and a determinant of healthy body weight? I remember the former being discredited, for sure...

I've always been over-weight according to that chart, even when I had body fat of 8%. And I can remember being in my 80kgs in my mid-teens, and being fit and trim.

Big bones :D

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikuza View Post
    Rejected as a metric of fitness and a determinant of healthy body weight? I remember the former being discredited, for sure...

I've always been over-weight according to that chart, even when I had body fat of 8%. And I can remember being in my 80kgs in my mid-teens, and being fit and trim.

Big bones :D
    I was using the word "fitness" as shorthand for "being an appropriate weight for one's height". Its true meaning is, essentially, "ability to perform exercise", so my bad.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Not sure if you read it, but I post something about it on previous thread ..
    Copy paste here u go!

"I am 66KG.... this is my best shape, feel light and agile ...Ofcourse I practice Ashtanga Yoga (power Yoga) 6 days a week, about 90 min...

Last Summer after 2 weeks Italy vacation . came back and I was.. 71.5 Kg !!!! Those extra Kg were not muscle, but something like Life Belt kids use for swimming, U know what I mean ?..

Anyhow, felt fat, jeans were not fitting and worst of the worst, I could not look into the mirrow and see that strange shape around my belly anymore !!!
    So on top of regular practice of Yoga, I cut with carbs, bread twice a week, pasta twice a week,no sugar during weekday just weekend cake if I really felt like. Never eat that kind of cake they have at place like Starbucks for example..there are about 350 to 500 Calories each!! Bruce Lee use to say , they are empty Calorie kind of food, means u get calorie and hardly any nutrition...Just sugar and butter and other bad stuff..

Of course I almost double lean protein ,so muscle grows and fat lower (the bigger are the muscle the more they burn calories..)...the other thing of course is the alcohol.. a glass of red wine is about 80 K/calories....keep in mind..
    So U need to look what U eat and drink, be selective and read what is inside the food U buy and put in your body.. U cannot imagine how much sugar U will find in product that U never imagine, like onnigiri from Kombini and so on...Dont let the mind win when U see melting cheese, double burgers with all kind of sauce on top...creams ...
    Instead, lots of veggie ,raw food like salad, some fruit for getting vitamin and natural sugar.
    Do some kind of aerobic exercise 3 to 5 times per week for at list an hour, if U have time 6 days a week ! U will loose wait and feel so good and light !! Bicycle , swimming .running, fast walking....Dont take elevator ,walk up the stairs..when U see stairs be happy !!:-)

By the way I am 42 years young, almost 43 !! 174cm tall....and feel great !!

U need strong mind man, U can do it !!"

One more thing, if you exercise, choose something that your interested in it, something that excite you ,that you look forward to do it..not just something to burn calories..this will also makes difference .
    If you not into the Yoga thing ..then how about boxing, Jujitsu ,bicycle,self defense martial arts ,for example?..

If you need any personal advise, you can contact me directly .. Yoga is only one of the things I have done...other were Aikido, Wing Chun ,Kung Fu, Kravmaga ....anywa I am quite knowledge about body-mind conditioning.

Gambate kudasai!
    Ciao

Quote Originally Posted by Diabolik View Post
    Not sure if you read it, but I post something about it on previous thread ..
    Copy paste here u go!

"I am 66KG.... this is my best shape, feel light and agile
    Saw your post, thanks for the encouragement. Your current weight was what I weighed for many years. I know what to do, just a matter of doing it.

Saw your post, thanks for the encouragement. Your current weight was what I weighed for many years. I know what to do, just a matter of doing it.

Let me quote Master Bruce Lee again..

"“Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.”

Some more inspiration for you..http://www.wakeupcloud.com/bruce-lee-successful-life/

Quote Originally Posted by Diabolik View Post
    Let me quote Master Bruce Lee again..

"“Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.”

Some more inspiration for you..http://www.wakeupcloud.com/bruce-lee-successful-life/
    Thanks for the words of wisdom and the tips Diabolik.

I know I'm fat, pretty much always have been but let's all not lose sight of reality. Whilst its great to be in the shape of a Navy Seal and looking like you're auditioning for an underwear model, is it worth the perpetual pain and suffering of constantly watching every bite of food, wasting riding time on breathing other peoples sweat in some gym (which is also expensive in JP), etc.? Of course this is an even bigger issue in places like Japan where this is even more difficult because you can't just order a week's supply of calorie controlled, nutritious and ready to microwave meals (at a reasonable price). Couple this with the fact that when you're on the road often the choices are really limited...where as a Calorie Mate or Onigiri can be found in any shop, conbini or gas station or even a vending machine.

Also whilst I really admire Bruce Lee, let's not forget that despite his perfect conditioning and physique he died at age 32 and a guy like George Burns who smoked like a chimney, and drank like a fish, and I'm sure was far from being a gym rat died at 100 - I'm just sayin'

We only live once, at least that we can consciously recall, so just how miserable do you want to make this very brief existence (or this instance of your existence)?

In my case as long as it does not impede my riding than I don't have an issue

Anyway, best of luck with your diets, Jim, Justin and Frank.
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
    But it could be impeding your chances to do *ahem* night-rides....

Honestly, it doesn't take a gym membership. Guy lost all of his weight last time without doing a lick of exercise.

You just have to burn more calories than you take in. If you wanted to speed up the process, bump up your metabolism by using that weight set you have, or go for a walk while listening to the latest rightwing podcasts.

Once the weight's off, it's just a matter of eating an amount that your body burns off so you don't store the excess as fat, could be anything you like.

You should join the fun, what do you have to lose besides horsepower-eating fat...

Quote Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
    See, for me being overweight actually does impede my riding a bit. I feel more comfortable in my gear when I'm not carrying a lot of extra flab around the middle. Also, being thin really helps keep my lower back in good shape, which is key for enduring long rides pain-free. And finally, I just feel like I have more energy when I'm thinner.

You don't have to spend a ton of cash to eat food that's good for you, even in Japan. But you do have to be careful, and you can't just grab whatever's on the shelf at the nearest conbini (which is probably pretty nasty anyway!).

The main drawback for me is that I actually do like eating and drinking stuff that's bad for me -- just because I like how it tastes, and also because eating and drinking is often a social activity. It's fun to go out and drink beer and eat nachos with your buddies. And it does take an effort to say, "I would rather lose weight and feel better in the long term than do those things and feel good right now".

For me, cutting back on those things is worth the benefits I get from losing weight, but for someone else, it might not be.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Anybody know Twinrider's home address? We can send him boxes of Krispy Kremes to test his willpower...
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

You don't have to spend a ton of cash to eat food that's good for you, even in Japan. But you do have to be careful, and you can't just grab whatever's on the shelf at the nearest conbini (which is probably pretty nasty anyway!).
    I've noticed lately that convenience stores are starting to carry healthier foods, including salads, so it is getting a little easier to eat better on the run.

The main drawback for me is that I actually do like eating and drinking stuff that's bad for me And it does take an effort to say, "I would rather lose weight and feel better in the long term than do those things and feel good right now".
    Yup, my weakness as well. Not sweet stuff, but Italian food, Mexican food and so on...

It is nice being fit. You feel better, have more energy and you don't have to cringe when people post ride reports.

The tough fact about food these days is this: You can't compete with teams of food scientists in making food taste amazing when cooking food for yourself at home. Here's an extraordinary article from the New York Times about the science behind processed food.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/ma...anted=all&_r=0

In a nutshell, a lot of time, money and energy goes into research to find tastes that achieve a 'bliss point' in the consumer. Super tastes achieved with little or no concern for the health of those eating the food. Once you pop, you can't stop! As parents who try very hard to put nutritious home-cooked food on the table for our kids each day it has been a real struggle. However, it seems that our taste buds can readjust to tastes to the point where you recognise that some carrots taste crap, whilst others are delicious. We have our kids eating fighting over steamed vegetables and the last of the salad. They eat fruit and nuts for their snacks and love them. If you have the determination to stay the course, you can change your eating habits significantly, but still get real enjoyment out of eating, and even more enjoyment given that the guilt factor is all but removed (you can still over-eat healthy food).

Jim, if you take time to learn, home cooked Italian and Mexican food can be awesome, and really healthy. Every few days I soak pots of beans overnight and the next day boil them for about an hour. Then I drain, cool and bag them in Zip-locks and bung them in the freezer. With a can of tomatoes, an onion, three cloves of garlic, cayenne pepper, a red chilli, cumin and basil, with a spoonful of consommé I can make a bowl of spicy chilli beans in 20 minutes. Served with a small amount of brown rice, it's damn filling and tasty. Loads of protein, vitamins and fibre. I usually have about four or five bags of different kinds of beans in the freezer. Making guacamole and salsa is so easy it's stupid, and you can be sure that only the healthiest ingredients go in. What you buy in the shops is loaded with salt, sugar and all sorts of odds and ends to enhance the flavour.

A basic Italian sauce is a can of tomatoes, basil, coriander, garlic, an onion. Fry the onion until it's nicely caramelised to get loads of sweetness, then add loads of good Italian-style vegetables, e.g. zucchini, egg-plants, mushrooms or whatever. Then the tomatoes and the seasoning. If you can find wholewheat pasta, excellent, but load it up with vegetables and go easy on the pasta.

Ultimately, what I learned from my own experience of being a total junk food eater is, that it's a lifestyle change and not just a diet change. Food's to important to us to require anything less. If it's not that, then we always go back to our old ways.

I wish you every success mate.

By the way, I'm 62.5kg and 5'8. I do run a fair bit, but I've been laid up for months on and off with a series of injuries, during which I put on no extra weight at all.

Yamaha Vino 50cc (Sold), Honda Transalp 400V (Sold), Honda CB400 Super Bol D'or (Sold), Yamaha Serow XT225WE (Sold), 2005 Beta Rev 3 (Current) 2015 Yamaha Serow XT250 (Current)

Thanks for the advice, Dualta.

Thanks for the advice, Dualta.
    You're welcome. It's long-winded (as usual), but if there's nothing else to take from it, please, please read the New York Times article. It might trigger something in you.

Yamaha Vino 50cc (Sold), Honda Transalp 400V (Sold), Honda CB400 Super Bol D'or (Sold), Yamaha Serow XT225WE (Sold), 2005 Beta Rev 3 (Current) 2015 Yamaha Serow XT250 (Current)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualta View Post
    You're welcome. It's long-winded (as usual), but if there's nothing else to take from it, please, please read the New York Times article. It might trigger something in you.
    Actually I read that before, extremely interesting/informative.