Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Diet advice, philosophy, and jokes

Default Twinrider's Diet Challenge II

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    Not really. Aerobic exercise will make you more cardiovascularly fit and all other sorts of good things, but it doesn't really help you lose weight. That's because it makes you hungrier. You'll burn more calories when you exercise, but you tend to consume more calories, too, wiping out any weight-loss benefits from it.

Here's an article on this phenomenon: http://nymag.com/news/sports/38001/
    If you are only counting weight loss as "results" I guess this would be true. But when you factor in muscle conditioning, stamina and cardio health to the equation then just dieting and lite exercise don't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by rdkng103 View Post
    If you are only counting weight loss as "results" I guess this would be true. But when you factor in muscle conditioning, stamina and cardio health to the equation then just dieting and lite exercise don't cut it.
    Yes, that's why I said, "Aerobic exercise will make you more cardiovascularly fit and all other sorts of good things."
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

My suggestion again is.. Find something interesting for you, something exciting and the workout will be a pleasure .
    So even when you will reach you goal body waight, you will still continue to do because you like it and not because you "have to"...
    Ciao ciao

IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    I'll be doing weigh-ins every Monday morning and keeping a record of the results here in this first post, so stay tuned.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Just posted. 0.1 kg higher than yesterday morning's daily weigh-in but not too bad considering that I didn't work out yesterday and had a carb-laden lunch at South Cafe. Will see if I can do better this week...

Just posted. 0.1 kg higher than yesterday morning's daily weigh-in but not too bad considering that I didn't work out yesterday and had a carb-laden lunch at South Cafe. Will see if I can do better this week...
    Posted where?

edit: nevermind, found it in the first post.

Good job, TR. Don't worry about day-to-day fluctuations; keep your eye on the trend.

I was 89.9kg today, down from 90.7 last week. Not bad considering I "cheated" with some whiskey and nachos at the Hobgoblin meet-up on Friday.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Default Re: Twinrider's Diet Challenge II

Good job, TR. Don't worry about day-to-day fluctuations; keep your eye on the trend.

I was 89.9kg today, down from 90.7 last week. Not bad considering I "cheated" with some whiskey and nachos at the Hobgoblin meet-up on Friday.
    I'd lose that much if I just took a dump!

Take a dump!

Quote Originally Posted by V-Twister View Post
    As would I. But those are post-dump weights each time, so it's a non-dump loss.

Anyway, big weight loss happens over time. How much were you expecting us to lose in 1 week?
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Quote Originally Posted by V-Twister View Post

Take a dump!
    I did take a dump, just goes to show that some people are more full of shit than others...

without getting too much into disgusting detail about the length and sophistication of the human digestion system i have to agree with v-twister that even after having a dump there is a rather large margin for differences in your weight.

Quote Originally Posted by haildamage View Post
    without getting too much into disgusting detail about the length and sophistication of the human digestion system i have to agree with v-twister that even after having a dump there is a rather large margin for differences in your weight.
    And there's also only so much weight you can lose in a week. Really, what's your point? That the diets aren't working?
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Anyway, big weight loss happens over time. How much were you expecting us to lose in 1 week?
    i suppose this is the point.

i suppose this is the point.
    Well, why don't you show us how it's done, champ?
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Well, why don't you show us how it's done, champ?
    working on it! have lost about 2kg in 10 days, but i am going for 12kg in one year!

working on it! have lost about 2kg in 10 days, but i am going for 12kg in one year!
    12kg in one year works out to 0.23kg per week. All of us have lost more than that in our first week.

BTW, losing a lot of weight in your first week on a diet is not unusual, especially if you were really overweight when you started. It's due to there being less water and undigested food in your body, not to actual fat loss.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

12kg in one year works out to 0.23kg per week. All of us have lost more than that in our first week.

BTW, losing a lot of weight in your first week on a diet is not unusual, especially if you were really overweight when you started. It's due to there being less water and undigested food in your body, not to actual fat loss.
    i understand these points. for me it is not so much a diet as a permanent lifestyle change that i hope will result in a slow and gradual weight loss with a goal of losing 12kg to be at 75 total body weight by next april.

i understand these points. for me it is not so much a diet as a permanent lifestyle change that i hope will result in a slow and gradual weight loss with a goal of losing 12kg to be at 75 total body weight by next april.
    Good luck!

If you want, committing to post your progress on this site is a good way to give yourself an incentive to keep going. Knowing you have to post up your weight each week really helps avoid the temptation to grab for the pizza and beer...
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

I know some will scoff at this, but if you're serious about a lifestyle change then choosing a vegetarian diet is certainly one way to bring real focus on exactly what you're eating. My diet has never been so much a focus of my life, and I've never enjoyed food as much as I do now. Cooking becomes a necessity, and that means choosing exactly what goes into your meals. However, in saying this, a bad vegetarian diet can mess it all up. I recently met a vegan ex-colleague after not seeing her for a couple of years and she had become obese, on a vegan diet.

Yamaha Vino 50cc (Sold), Honda Transalp 400V (Sold), Honda CB400 Super Bol D'or (Sold), Yamaha Serow XT225WE (Sold), 2005 Beta Rev 3 (Current) 2015 Yamaha Serow XT250 (Current)