Thread: Motorbike Rental in Tokyo

Default Motorbike Rental in Tokyo

Okay, I'm on my way to Tokyo next Friday for a long weekend and have been looking into renting a motorcycle for a day or two. I'll be based in Tokyo (Shinjuku), but don't really want to stay all four days there. I've done a search of the site and haven't found anything very recent, so I'm looking for any updates to the following information:

Rental places (not necessarily Tokyo):
    http://www.rental819.com/english/
    http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~GANZ/Ren...orcycle_E.html
    http://www.scs-tokyo.jp/index.html
    http://www.mc99.co.jp/mc_english.html
    Any others?
    (That last URL seems familiar...I think that used to be a bike dealer or salvage yard that had online microfiche for all of the J-spec Hondas?)

License requirements:
    International Driver's Permit (based on the 1949 Geneva Convention, only)
    Home country motorbike license (with the appropriate cc category for the rental)

Anything else? I recently rented a VFR800 VTEC in Cairns, Australia, for the day and had a great time, so I would like to see some of the countryside around Tokyo (is Fujisan a good destination?), and as we all know, the best way to do that is often by bike!

It looks like I will have to get a silly IDP in order to rent in Japan. Fortunately I'm a member of the HKAA, so they should be able to help with that.

I have a Garmin Zumo 550, UK version currently loaded with HK map. Quick research suggests that there is no Garmin-brand downloadable map for Japan, and the UUD map is not ideal. I don't need to bring the GPS, but I would if I could get an affordable, reliable map for it!

Finally, I'm guessing that raingear is usually a very good idea in Japan?

TIA

Cheers,

JZH
    Hong Kong SAR, PRC/So.Cal., USA
    http://www.vsource.org

Highways use ETC ( toll system ) if a rental company has and option for a reader and card, that would be an advantage.
    If not stick to the green gates on the highway entrances and exits.

Fuji is a good day ride but the main roads get a tad busy on weekends with tourists. A Friday or Monday would
    definitely be better. Okutama is another great day trip, as is Izu. Google maps is your friend in finding twisty routes.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

I've used Rental 819, they're pretty straightforward to deal with.

There are Garmin-approved Japan maps for the Zumo, but I'm not sure how you could order them from overseas.

A good day ride from Tokyo would be the Toyo Tires turnpike to the Izu Skyline down to Shimoda and back. The roads around Hakone and Mt. Fuji are also good. If you have more than 1 day to ride (or if you are hardcore and want to ride all day from sunrise to sunset), you could do a big loop from Tokyo to Shimoda to Fuji and back.

To find good roads, it would help if you could get your hands on a Kanto-Koshinetsu Touring Mapple:

Last edited by Guy Jinbaiquerre; 10-05-13 at 03:32 PM.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

I've rented from http://japanbikerentals.com/

Couple of American guys living in Tokyo, Zumos and ETCs on all bikes. They'll set up routes in the navi and you pay for the actual tolls used. I got an F800R with a top case, great bike for Japan. Highly recommend them!

Tom
    2008 DL650A
    2006 D-Tracker

Default Re: Motorbike Rental in Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by toma nova View Post
    Zumos and ETCs on all bikes. They'll set up routes in the navi and you pay for the actual tolls used.
    That sounds great!
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by toma nova View Post
    I've rented from http://japanbikerentals.com/

Couple of American guys living in Tokyo, Zumos and ETCs on all bikes. They'll set up routes in the navi and you pay for the actual tolls used. I got an F800R with a top case, great bike for Japan. Highly recommend them!
    Thanks for that, big time!

I was almost certain that I would not be able to rent a bike on this trip, as I don't speak Japanese and don't know anyone in Tokyo who does--and could meet me at the rental place! But I contacted Japan Bike Rentals and was able to book a two-day rental (w/GPS and help w/booking accommodations) starting Saturday. Can't wait!

All I need now is directions to a NAPS or Ricoland-type place close to Akasaka Station or easy to get to from there. Can anyone help?

(Alternatively, does anyone know where I could go to buy/oggle accessories for Toyota 3.0 Turbo Diesel vans? You know which ones I'm talking about!) TIA.

Cheers,

Okay, FWIW, Google Maps assures me that I can hit a NAP'S store in Setagaya on my way back to Tokyo on Monday (it's just off the Tomei Expressway in Kitami), and once I'm back on two feet I can fairly easily get to a Ricoland in Tokyo Bay (just across the highway from Shinonome station) and a NAPS in Adachi (about 10mins walk from Kitaayase station). I'm not really in the market to buy anything in particular (apart from a few '90s era Hondas, which I won't be buying on this trip), but I'm always interested in window shopping!

I'm really looking forward to this trip. If you see a gaijin on a CB750 looking slightly lost on the roads around Fuji-san this weekend, don't forget to wave, or nod, or whatever you guys do... (HiViz Aerostich Light suit, Chris Walker rep Arai--you can't miss me)

Ciao,

JZH

Way off topic, but why do I feel as if your avatar is a book I read when I was 8 years old...

Quote Originally Posted by KooK View Post
    Way off topic, but why do I feel as if your avatar is a book I read when I was 8 years old...
    Because it is! It's Ralph from the Mouse and the Motorcycle.

Ciao,

JZH

Sorry for the delayed update. Anyway, I had a fantastic time riding in Japan and can't wait to go back! I had 2+ days of riding, which included stops at two different onsen in the area of and near Mt. Fuji. The first two days were mostly sunny and pleasant, but the rain did get me on the last day, which involved an early ride back to Tokyo. Two out of three ain't bad, as they say!

The first day I set off from the JBR office in Akasaka around 10am and rode south towards Shuzenji.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040031x.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	334.6 KB 
ID:	9411
    I stopped at the Saddleback Cafe for lunch. It was a very nice prawn chowder in a bread bowl-kind-of-thing--tasty! (No, I don't normally take pictures of food, but living in Asia changes you!)

Name:	P1040033x.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	371.6 KB 
ID:	9412
    The view from the cafe was great. It, and many of the views I got along the coast reminded me of the south of France (of all places), where I've ridden many times in between St. Tropez and Cannes and up into the hills.

Name:	P1040029x.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	321.3 KB 
ID:	9413
    I chose a self-guided tour from JBR, which meant that they organised an itinerary, including booking of the hotels, which because I had a very limited amount of time and spoke no Japanese I did not want to take on myself. I was also provided with a Garmin Zumo 550, pre-loaded with each day's routes and various POIs (including restaurant suggestions) along the way. Pretty neat!

Sorry, another food pic! This was at a Japanese restaurant in Shuzenji, near the Taketei Hotel, where I stayed the night. Cold Asahi on tap...couldn't say no to that. Nor to the next one. Or the next... (I was travelling alone, so there wasn't a whole lot else to do but drink and sleep--I had a good time anyway!)

Name:	P1040047x.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	9414
    Another day, another beautiful vista! That was about the time I saw a group of bikes riding back the other way...and I just had to go chase them down!

Name:	P1040055x.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	329.8 KB 
ID:	9415
    This is why: NR-san. It's a good thing Japanese bikers (and drivers...) seem to like stopping and chatting a lot, or I never would have found them!

Name:	P1040058x.jpg 
Size:	361.5 KB 
ID:	9416
    Just another Sunday; just another car-show along the road...

Name:	P1040067x.jpg 
Size:	351.4 KB 
ID:	9417
    Mmmmm. Japan.

Name:	P1040079x.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	319.9 KB 
ID:	9418
    My next stop was an onsen/hotel on Lake Kawaguchiko, where unfortunately it began to rain just as I pulled in. The rain stopped and I was able to jog around the town and scope out my dinner option for the evening (AVOID an Indian place called Alladin--that name should have been a clue! At least the beer was good?)

Name:	P1040094x.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	9419
    I'd done some research as determined that there was a NAP'S shop on my way back to JBR in Tokyo, so naturally I had to have a look...

Name:	P1040105y.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	330.0 KB 
ID:	9420
    Bling!

Name:	P1040112x.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	362.6 KB 
ID:	9421
    Bars?

Name:	P1040115x.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	348.5 KB 
ID:	9422
    Blimey!

Name:	P1040119x.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	380.0 KB 
ID:	9423

Well, you get the idea of my trip. I actually didn't buy anything at NAP'S, but I enjoyed browsing around such a huge shop of bike goodies. I would have liked to also visit a Ricoland, but ran out of time. I was going to go to the one in Tokyo Bay, which I think is more or less accessible by public transport. Maybe next time...

Speaking of next time, I don't know when it will be, but I hope to come back to Japan for at least a week later this year, and maybe try to buy some increasingly rare Honda 250s and 400s for my "collection".

Ciao,

JZH

Hi Guys,

I'll be in Tokyo this weekend (may 10) and wanted to know about rental policies.

Most of the websites say that the IDP is mandatory, however, I am an Indian citizen staying in Dublin, Ireland. For me to get an IDP, I'll have to be present in India to get one so that's not feasible.

Any idea which rental companies are not very strict about IDP. I have rented bikes in Europe and US without IDP (just on my Indian driver's license) before.

Thanks,
    Swarnesh

It's not that the rental companies are strict about the IDP, the police are rather strict about it.

Your Indian license is printed in English, yes? Many countries (USA, Germany) will accept other countries licenses in accordance with the 1949 convention as long as they are printed in the local (Roman) alphabet, and preferably a reasonably similar language.

So it looks like no riding for you this weekend.

On the plus side, the trains here are excellent - always on time, the doors close, no one sits on the roof.....

Has anyone else used the F800R from japanbikerentals? I think it would be a good choice as some folks are putting together a zumo route for me in new riders forum.

I also hear things about 819, since they have more locations they may be more convenient but I can't make much sense of their website.

What are peoples suggestions for a 3 day rental?

Quote Originally Posted by JZH View Post
    I stopped at the Saddleback Cafe for lunch. It was a very nice prawn chowder in a bread bowl-kind-of-thing--tasty! (No, I don't normally take pictures of food, but living in Asia changes you!)

Name:	P1040033x.jpg 
Size:	371.6 KB 
ID:	9412
    The view from the cafe was great. It, and many of the views I got along the coast reminded me of the south of France (of all places), where I've ridden many times in between St. Tropez and Cannes and up into the hills.

Name:	P1040029x.jpg 
Size:	321.3 KB 
ID:	9413...
    That looks great. It may be worth a ride.

Anyone know of a rental place with a F800GS or a R1200R with Garmin GPS in Toyko?

Also any tips on which of those rides would be better for a solid 3d trip?

Edit: Looking at these two from Rental819

[top]Suzuki V Strom 1000

[top]
    2014 expressions Tourer

[top]Triumph Tiger 800

[top]
    2013 expressions Naked

Cheers,
    Dave
    Last edited by bitwise; 10-10-14 at 05:14 AM. Reason: added bike options

Go with the new V-Strom! Half the fun of renting is being able to try new bikes. The new Strom is getting good reviews.

Default Re: Motorbike Rental in Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by rdkng103 View Post
    Go with the new V-Strom! Half the fun of renting is being able to try new bikes. The new Strom is getting good reviews.
    Agree that the V-strom sounds like a great bike for Japan riding. Can't go wrong with that "adventure bike" formula of a comfortable riding position, good handling, and a healthy tank range.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja