Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Ignore Thread" option in vBulletin?

Question "Ignore Thread" option in vBulletin?

I am sure that I am setting myself up for some flaming by asking this, but is there a way to ignore forums or threads on this site? Whenever I log in to check up on what is being discussed, it seems that the "What's New?" page is just a wall of links to the Tar Pit. I have no problem with the existence of the forum, but I would just like to filter it from view. I would much rather log in to see a list of discussions about bikes, rides and such.
    I was able to find an "Ignore list" in the user CP, but that is only for users. I do not want to ignore users, just the political rant forum.
    Any ideas about how to filter threads/forums?
    Thanks in advance.

set your bookmark to take you to the forum index page instead of the forum activity stream page.

Below is a screen shot from another forum I used to follow, running vBulletin.
    I've no idea if this is an option than the site admin just turns on or if it was custom on their part.
    But the effect is as you are asking for as you can stop any particular subsection you wish being displayed when the new posts type button is hit.

Of course I don't pay for anything on this site and I know admin is a PITA, so I'm just grateful the site is here for us to enjoy and use.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Options.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	9351

Quote Originally Posted by Sasane View Post
    I am sure that I am setting myself up for some flaming by asking this, but is there a way to ignore forums or threads on this site? Whenever I log in to check up on what is being discussed, it seems that the "What's New?" page is just a wall of links to the Tar Pit. I have no problem with the existence of the forum, but I would just like to filter it from view. I would much rather log in to see a list of discussions about bikes, rides and such.
    So would I, but unfortunately -- and I don't mean this to sound sarcastic -- even if you filtered out the Tar Pit links, that would not spontaneously generate a bunch of discussions about bikes, rides, and such.

In other words, the Tar Pit links aren't preventing the good stuff from getting through. There just isn't as much good stuff being posted as you'd like. You can help improve the GR signal-to-noise ratio by posting and participating in bike-related threads.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by haildamage View Post
    set your bookmark to take you to the forum index page instead of the forum activity stream page.
    Valid point, but trying to find the current active topics that way is not as easy. I find the "What's new" option to be very useful, it is just that there seems to be a log jam of political rants there. I don't wish to deny anyone their rights to rant, I am just looking for away to avoid non-bike-related content when I log in.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug68 View Post
    Below is a screen shot from another forum I used to follow, running vBulletin.
    I've no idea if this is an option than the site admin just turns on or if it was custom on their part..
    Yes, I came across this option when I googled "ignore thread vBulletin", so I am pretty sure it is in the backend somewhere. I am not sure if it is in the current version on this site though. I was hoping that someone familiar with the back end might know, or better yet, be willing to turn that option on.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    So would I, but unfortunately -- and I don't mean this to sound sarcastic -- even if you filtered out the Tar Pit links, that would not spontaneously generate a bunch of discussions about bikes, rides, and such.

In other words, the Tar Pit links aren't preventing the good stuff from getting through. There just isn't as much good stuff being posted as you'd like. You can help improve the GR signal-to-noise ratio by posting and participating in bike-related threads.
    The Tar Pit links may not be preventing the good stuff from getting through, but they certainly are obscuring them from view. I never said that I am not happy with the amount of bike stuff being posted, I just would rather not sift through the endless "Impeach Obama" images just to get to some bike content. Justin, I know you use Reddit. How would you like it if you were forced to have r/spacedicks on your front page everyday? Don't you like being able to choose the subreddits you like, and ignore those that you do not? It seems that vBulletin has such an option, so I am just wondering if someone can tell me how to get to it, or if we need to get an admin to turn it on. Thats all.

How would you like it if you were forced to have r/spacedicks on your front page everyday?
    Oh, like you don't?

Seriously, though, what you should do (aside from the possibility of actually filtering out subforums) is bookmarking the "New Posts" link, which I believe is:

http://www.gaijinriders.com/search.p...e=vBForum_Post

That link will show you a screen like this:

It's a list of links to whatever new posts there are since your last visit, not the actual content of those posts. There's absolutely no reason why you should be seeing the actual content of Tar Pit posts if you don't want to.

When the list of links to new posts comes up, just ignore any updates to Tar Pit threads and click on the ones that look interesting to you.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

I just would rather not sift through the endless "Impeach Obama" images just to get to some bike content.

When you view New Posts there is absolutely no reason why you would have to "sift through" tarpit threads to read bike content. The thread titles and forums are clearly identified. Click on those you want to read, ignore the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    When you view New Posts there is absolutely no reason why you would have to "sift through" tarpit threads to read bike content. The thread titles and forums are clearly identified. Click on those you want to read, ignore the rest.
    Quite true. I was not actually forced to read any of those posts, it is just that whenever I check the "What's New" activity stream, it is 19 Tar Pit links, and one post about some aspect of riding.
    I will stick to the New Posts page, rather than the What's New activity stream from now on. That said, it would be nice to be able to filter out the off topic rants, especially considering the shear volume. (The main thread in question has received over 200 posts in the last ten days. 95 percent are copy/pasted images from one person which receive no replies. Perhaps someone needs to get a blog.)

Quite true. I was not actually forced to read any of those posts, it is just that whenever I check the "What's New" activity stream, it is 19 Tar Pit links, and one post about some aspect of riding.
    As has been mentioned, the more members contribute bike content, the more there will be to read. More commenting on the content posted also encourages more posting IMO.

As has been mentioned, the more members contribute bike content, the more there will be to read. More commenting on the content posted also encourages more posting IMO.
    This is all true, but the single most important thing we could do to reduce the number of political posts would be to just hurry up and impeach Obama already.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

I will stick to the New Posts page, rather than the What's New activity stream from now on.
    That's the way to go. I never look at the "What's New" activity stream.

Another advantage of the New Posts page is that if there are 20 new posts in a single thread, it will show you a link to only the most recent one, not all 20 of them.
    Last edited by Guy Jinbaiquerre; 17-05-13 at 05:40 PM.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

i think it is good to discuss this. however, the way i view GR, i dont see what is happening in the tar pit. i like the OP, dont care to see the negativity and political BS, but a lot of people really enjoy the tar pit.

maybe there is a way to do a filter. however, i have a feeling that this feature would have to be created by the Vbullitin folks.

Again, I am not commenting on a lack of bike content, but the overwhelming volume of non-bike stuff. Seriously, take a look at the activity feed before this thread started and see how much Tar Pit stuff there is compared to riding stuff. Click the 'more activity' link a few times and see what I am talking about.

If I went to KFC and ordered a bucket of 20 drumsticks, and ended up finding one wing in there, I would be fine with that. I would probably consider it a nice bonus, a little something different. However, if that bucket ended up with 19 wings and only one drumstick, I would send it back. The same goes for a forum for a riding community. A few posts here and there on politics is fine, but if your posting 20 political posts for every one relevant post then I think you should be called on it.

In the meantime, is it too much to ask for the "ignore thread" option to be turned on? Or to at least get confirmation from an admin about if it is an option?

If I went to KFC and ordered a bucket of 20 drumsticks, and ended up finding one wing in there, I would be fine with that. I would probably consider it a nice bonus, a little something different. However, if that bucket ended up with 19 wings and only one drumstick, I would send it back. The same goes for a forum for a riding community. A few posts here and there on politics is fine, but if your posting 20 political posts for every one relevant post then I think you should be called on it.

In the meantime, is it too much to ask for the "ignore thread" option to be turned on? Or to at least get confirmation from an admin about if it is an option?
    We'll have to wait and see what Jav says about an "ignore thread" option. I have no problem with it, if it's possible.

In the meantime, it's been made clear how you can avoid seeing a deluge of political posts. Instead of ordering a bucket (i.e., reviewing all activity) and hoping it's full of drumsticks, read the menu first (i.e., review only the latest new posts). Then, don't order anything from the Politics part of the menu and you'll be fine.

Honestly, I've never looked at the "What's New" activity stream, and I wasn't aware anyone else did, either. It's just not an effective way to scan for new posts, political or not. Look at New Posts instead, and all your problems will disappear.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Sounds to me like that's more of a "Don't worry sir, we'll just change your order to a bucket of 20 wings instead, keep the single drumstick as our attempt at an apology."

That is, if we are still continuing with the KFC analogy; if not, I didn't get the office memo.
    Quote Originally Posted by tokyojrock View Post
    I am going over to Keisho next week to eat the owners ass!

Default Re: "Ignore Thread" option in vBulletin?

Quote Originally Posted by waruta View Post
    Sounds to me like that's more of a "Don't worry sir, we'll just change your order to a bucket of 20 wings instead, keep the single drumstick as our attempt at an apology."

That is, if we are still continuing with the KFC analogy; if not, I didn't get the office memo.
    I don't see how that's a valid extension of the analogy at all. The main problem is you don't get to "order" up posts about whatever you like. Your selection is limited to whatever other people have chosen to post -- i.e., to what's on the menu that day.

By reading through all the recent forum activity instead of just checking the "new posts" tab, Sasane is eating everything in the restaurant and then saying it's not what he really wanted.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

I don't see how that's a valid extension of the analogy at all. The main problem is you don't get to "order" up posts about whatever you like. Your selection is limited to whatever other people have chosen to post -- i.e., to what's on the menu that day.
    Actually, if you walk into a KFC is is pretty fair to expect chicken instead of tacos. This is a site for riders, it is fair to expect the balance of posts to be about riding. However, it seems that if you look at the volume of daily posts, it is leaning towards an "Impeach Obama" forum.

By reading through all the recent forum activity instead of just checking the "new posts" tab, Sasane is eating everything in the restaurant and then saying it's not what he really wanted.
    Actually, I only looked at the links because I was amazed at the shear volume. One user made over 70 posts to the Tar Pit in the 24 hour period before I raised this issue. Not one of these was about motorcycles. When I looked at the activity feed (which I will not bother with anymore), the entire feed was links to Tar Pit posts.

To improve on the analogy, what if it were sushi rolls in my KFC bucket instead of the chicken I ordered. That is more accurate. It's kind of like I walked into a building with a big KFC sign, only to find out the Republican National Convention is being hosted there and the chicken is hidden on a table in the back. Of course, this is what it looks like from the What's New link. The New Posts link only looks like the KFC sublets half the floor space to a Taco Bell.

So, yes, I will be using the New Posts link instead, but I still have to click on the "Taco Bell" links just to mark them as read. I know I could just ignore the red folder links showing the Taco Bell forums as updated, but their existence would bother me. I am not OCD, but I still feel the need to make those red folders go away.

Default Re: "Ignore Thread" option in vBulletin?

New posts will stop showing up as new after a while, even if you don't click on them.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

i keep it simple. i check out the forum page. i look at the general forum because there is a lot of activity there. i also scan the current threads on the other forums and check out what looks interesting to me. i also keep a closer eye on the selling/ buying forum.

what is happening in the tar pit doesnt even come on my radar.

Actually, if you walk into a KFC is is pretty fair to expect chicken instead of tacos. This is a site for riders, it is fair to expect the balance of posts to be about riding. However, it seems that if you look at the volume of daily posts, it is leaning towards an "Impeach Obama" forum.

Actually, I only looked at the links because I was amazed at the shear volume. One user made over 70 posts to the Tar Pit in the 24 hour period before I raised this issue. Not one of these was about motorcycles. When I looked at the activity feed (which I will not bother with anymore), the entire feed was links to Tar Pit posts.

To improve on the analogy, what if it were sushi rolls in my KFC bucket instead of the chicken I ordered. That is more accurate. It's kind of like I walked into a building with a big KFC sign, only to find out the Republican National Convention is being hosted there and the chicken is hidden on a table in the back. Of course, this is what it looks like from the What's New link. The New Posts link only looks like the KFC sublets half the floor space to a Taco Bell.

So, yes, I will be using the New Posts link instead, but I still have to click on the "Taco Bell" links just to mark them as read. I know I could just ignore the red folder links showing the Taco Bell forums as updated, but their existence would bother me. I am not OCD, but I still feel the need to make those red folders go away.
    You don't seem to understand that political posts are equally relevant to anything else on the forum if they are posted in the tarpit, which was established specifically for that and other non-bike banter. If the tarpit was to disappear tomorrow, it wouldn't lead to an increase in posts in other forums. If members had more bike-related stuff to post about they'd already be doing so.

Speaking of analogies, how about a guy who walks into Autobacs and then heads to the Hello Kitty trinket section and starts complaining about it instead of simply going to the other sections of the store that interest him?