Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Ignore Thread" option in vBulletin?

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    You don't seem to understand that political posts are equally relevant to anything else on the forum if they are posted in the tarpit, which was established specifically for that and other non-bike banter.
    I do not agree that "political post are equally relevant" in this forum. I think that is a justification. The material in the forum in question seems better suited to Facebook, where it all seems to be copy/pasted from anyway. I did not come join this community to debate politics and share pictures of kittens. If I want to do that I go to Facebook or Reddit. I come here to discuss riding with other riders in Japan. If anyone wants to debate politics with each other why not just become Facebook friends and do it there?

If the tarpit was to disappear tomorrow, it wouldn't lead to an increase in posts in other forums. If members had more bike-related stuff to post about they'd already be doing so.
    No, it would not. Have you ever raised vegetables? If you never take the time to weed, eventually the whole field is weeds. My point is that the Tar Pit seems to be taking root, and is much more active than any other section. This site was set up to bring people together to discuss riding, not astronomy, phlebotomy, or politics. I am not even asking that the garden be weeded. I am just asking for someone to enable the option to ignore these 'weed threads'. Honestly, I am surprised that nobody else is asking the the same question.

Speaking of analogies, how about a guy who walks into Autobacs and then heads to the Hello Kitty trinket section and starts complaining about it instead of simply going to the other sections of the store that interest him?
    My point is that if I walked into an Autobacs and they had more Hello Kitty stuff than bike stuff I would be disappointed. Wouldn't you? Again, I am not complaining about the amount of bike-related content in this forum. I am completely satisfied with the level of bike-related discussion on the forum. I am only pointing out that it seems that the Tar Pit seems less like a pleasant aside, and is becoming more like the most active area of the site. That is just my observation, which may or may not be backed up by an analysis of the posting patterns.

Also, again, I was simply asking whether there was an option to ignore threads, or if one could be enabled. This, which was my central point, remains unanswered.

Good feedback! I do not know if there is a setting or mod to allow a sub forum to be ignored, but I can look into it.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasane View Post
    I do not agree that "political post are equally relevant" in this forum. I think that is a justification. The material in the forum in question seems better suited to Facebook, where it all seems to be copy/pasted from anyway. I did not come join this community to debate politics and share pictures of kittens. If I want to do that I go to Facebook or Reddit. I come here to discuss riding with other riders in Japan. If anyone wants to debate politics with each other why not just become Facebook friends and do it there?
    After all of 2 months as a new member on a forum, I wouldn't take it upon myself to tell everyone else what it's supposed to be about, and what is and is not appropriate to post on it. But that's just me.

Anyway, I already told you that we need to wait and see what Jav says about the ability for users to screen out certain subforums. He has now said he's looking into it, so we should know the answer soon.

Until then, I ask you to consider that it makes absolutely no difference to your enjoyment of the other subforums on this site if the Tar Pit has 10, 100, or 1,000 times more posts than they do. No one is forcing you to read those Tar Pit posts, or even to know that they exist. As several of us have pointed out in this thread repeatedly, you can easily monitor the site for new bike-related posts without ever seeing what or how many posts are in the Tar Pit. Give that a try, and perhaps you'll no longer feel so concerned about the matter.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    Good feedback! I do not know if there is a setting or mod to allow a sub forum to be ignored, but I can look into it.
    Thanks, Jav. Much appreciated.

Guy wrote " After all of 2 months as a new member on a forum, I wouldn't take it upon myself to tell everyone else what it's supposed to be about, and what is and is not appropriate to post on it. But that's just me."

Isn't it good that we can allow some freshblood to suggest some new idea. We can stay fresh.

Much like women being attracted to a male stranger visiting a small village - natures way of preventing inbreds.

Default Re: "Ignore Thread" option in vBulletin?

Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    Guy wrote " After all of 2 months as a new member on a forum, I wouldn't take it upon myself to tell everyone else what it's supposed to be about, and what is and is not appropriate to post on it. But that's just me."

Isn't it good that we can allow some freshblood to suggest some new idea.
    Suggestions are great. I have no problem with the suggestion that forum members be able to filter out new posts in subforums they're not interested in, even though the perceived need for that feature arises from a misunderstanding of how to best monitor the forum for new content.

But suggestions are not the same as a new member declaring what the entire purpose of a forum is, and what its longstanding members should and should not be posting about. I don't see that as adding "fresh blood"; I see it as being presumptuous.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Sasane View Post
    The tarpit was established to keep the bike-related forums free of non bike content and it performs this function very well. It serves as the neighborhood pub, where members can go to tell jokes and discuss politics or other social issues and just blow off steam in general. Just about every bike forum has such a place.

I still can't figure out why it bothers you so much. Nobody is forcing you to visit there and if others post there, well that's their business isn't it? Your garden analogy is completely off-base. It would only make sense if tarpit-type posts were springing up in the bike forums, which could drive away other members and reduce bike-related content. But they're not, thanks to the existence of the walled-off tarpit.

Anyhow, now that you've made your views known why not shift gears and post some bike content?

Default Re: "Ignore Thread" option in vBulletin?

I still can't figure out why it bothers you so much. Nobody is forcing you to visit there and if others post there, well that's their business isn't it?
    I can see why it was bothering him, because he was clicking on "new forum activity" instead of "new posts" and was seeing 50 impeach Obama posts, and whatever bike stuff there may have been was buried in all of that.

However, now that he'll be using the "new posts" link, I expect it won't be a problem anymore. (Well, at least I hope it won't.)
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Default "Ignore Thread" option in vBulletin?

Sorry if someone already figured this out, but I'm using Tapatalk for iPhone, and by marking the whole Tar Pit as read, it never shows up on my "unread" page.

i feel that this debate has run its course with all sides having had a good chance to express opinions. in the interest of keeping GR a friendly forum, i would suggest that we end the debate on this topic at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    After all of 2 months as a new member on a forum, I wouldn't take it upon myself to tell everyone else what it's supposed to be about, and what is and is not appropriate to post on it. But that's just me.
    suggestions are not the same as a new member declaring what the entire purpose of a forum is, and what its longstanding members should and should not be posting about. I don't see that as adding "fresh blood"; I see it as being presumptuous.
    How about from someone whose involvement with Gaijin Riders predates that of every single person currently on this forum?

Sasane has a perfectly valid point.

The tar pit, with associated politics and lack of censure, has done more over the years to create divisions in the riding community in Tokyo than any other single factor.

As far as hindering bike-related content, it absolutely does, because it drives away otherwise avid bikers and riders. The most common reason people stop coming here - or never start - is the content in the tar pit.

It was a bad idea from the get-go, and is nothing more than a festering sore in its current state.

Place was better when the most controversial comments around had to do with Twinrider's various uses for shaved ferrets.

I think the option for individual members to not be informed of new posts in areas they don't have an interest in is good.

I participate in a Japan related forum which has this option and which caters to a much broader range of stuff, much of which I seriously don't give a damn about, and which I am thankful for being able to have the server never inform me of new posts about.

Here, things aren't so active or wide-ranging that it is really a problem or something I would have thought to ask about, but the feature does exist and if it could be implemented here without expense or undue hassle then I think it would be nice to have the option available,

Quote Originally Posted by EvilTwin View Post
    The tar pit, with associated politics and lack of censure, has done more over the years to create divisions in the riding community in Tokyo than any other single factor.
    Seriously? I can think of a few other factors that created some pretty big divisions...

I am personally not in love with the political threads in the Tar Pit, and I would have no problem if they disappeared tomorrow. However, as Twinrider said:

The tarpit was established to keep the bike-related forums free of non bike content and it performs this function very well. It serves as the neighborhood pub, where members can go to tell jokes and discuss politics or other social issues and just blow off steam in general. Just about every bike forum has such a place.
    So the risk of killing the Tar Pit would be that political comments and arguments (as well as potentially offensive jokes and other content) just start popping up in other areas of the forum which are currently politics-free. Unless we want to have a rule that political content is completely banned everywhere on the forum -- and a ban like that would be hard to enforce. If you complain about cops being thugs or pigs, is that a political comment? What if you complain about your taxes? Or about the Japanese government cracking down on illegal downloads, or passing some new law affecting bikers, and then that slips into a debate about big government vs. personal liberty? As a mod, I don't want to get sucked into debates about where to draw the line and why Person A's comment was okay, but Person B's was not. IMHO, it's good to have a place where we can keep stuff like that separate from everything else.

As far as hindering bike-related content, it absolutely does, because it drives away otherwise avid bikers and riders. The most common reason people stop coming here - or never start - is the content in the tar pit.
    I am completely open to evidence to the contrary, but honestly, Sasane is the first person I've ever heard complain about it. Have people really been telling you, "Hey, I like Gaijin Riders, but I'm not going to participate there any more because of the Tar Pit." And even if they have, how can you possibly know why other people never start coming here in the first place?

Anyway, to sum up:

1. I have no problem with a feature that would let people filter out subforums they're not interested in, like the Tar Pit.

2. However, it's very easy for users who aren't interested in the Tar Pit to ignore it entirely and never read a single post in it.

3. Eliminating the Tar Pit runs the risk of political content seeping into other areas of the site that are now politics-free, and would probably require us to ban political content from the site entirely. Such a ban would be hard to enforce because of problems drawing the line between what is political and what is not.
    Last edited by Guy Jinbaiquerre; 20-05-13 at 09:38 AM.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Seriously? I can think of a few other factors that created some pretty big divisions...
    I didn't say there weren't any - just that the Tar Pit has done more than its fair share over the last decade. Might also surprise you - but probably not - to find that a number of those other divisions have their roots in tar pit arguments.

I am completely open to evidence to the contrary, but honestly, Sasane is the first person I've ever heard complain about it. Have people really been telling you, "Hey, I like Gaijin Riders, but I'm not going to participate there any more because of the Tar Pit." And even if they have, how can you possibly know why other people never start coming here in the first place?
    Most people don't complain, they just stop posting, and yes, I have met a fair number of people over the years that have said they avoided the site specifically because of the political bullshit. To be fair, there's been just as much bombastic tomfoolery from the left over the years as there has been from the right recently.

Anyway, that's my piece said - not particularly interested in getting into a pedantic argument over this, despite that being the usual form of discourse here lately.

Anyway, that's my piece said - not particularly interested in getting into a pedantic argument over this
    Nor am I. Thank you for contributing your view as GR's longest-standing member.

It might surprise you (and Sasane) to know that I myself complained about there being too much Tar Pit content on the forum several months ago:

http://www.gaijinriders.com/showthre...6-Too-much-tar

For my troubles, I was accused of being an "elitist prick" who was "policing the general content of people's posts". No one joined me on the anti-tar side of the debate back then, so I took that as the forum consensus. But as you've pointed out, we don't hear from the people who just go away or never show up.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

In the past the tarpit was a source of conflict when people got personal. But keep in mind that those kinds of personal attacks used to inundate the bike forums as well.

But nothing like that has happened for a good long time, and all the political posts are about just that -- politics -- as in the governmental kind. Nothing personal. Likewise for the jokes and other material as well. Some people may not like the material, but it doesn't insult anyone personally and it is easily avoidable simply by not entering the forum or clicking on those posts.

The tarpit is just one forum out of many on GR. Those who would like to see more bike content in the other forums should lead by example and contribute content. It doesn't appear by magic, some effort is required.

I really don't understand why people are making a big deal out of the TarPit. As many have pointed out, it's a single subforum, nobody is forced to contribute to it or even look at it if does not interest them. IMHO it makes for a more complete and active forum and does not cause any harm to anyone.

I for one am glad to see (even though I know they are misguided and wrong ) guys like Dualta and Kamikuza, amongst others post up their views. I for one hold nothing against them, am not pissed of at them and despite our quite differing political views would be happy to go for ride with any of these guys when an opportunity presents itself. I am glad to see another side to the argument and see folks give a dam period... Sure as shit beats burring one's head in the sand and pretending everything in the world and especially America is hunky dory, cause it freaking ain't.

I totally agree, that we need more bike content, and I hope folks step up and start posting some more stuff, but given the comparatively small numbers of users amongst the Gaijin crew here in Japan I think artificially limiting GR would simply result in this forum becoming more like the other "zombie bastard children" out there which most people don't bother visiting because there is hardly any content there of any kind...
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
    I am glad to see another side to the argument and see folks give a dam period... Sure as shit beats burring one's head in the sand and pretending everything in the world and especially America is hunky dory, cause it freaking ain't.
    And yet at the same time, some people don't like having politics shoved in their face when they're looking for bike content.

The question is, does the current Tar Pit setup shove that kind of content in people's face? I would say it doesn't, assuming users are looking at "new posts" instead of "activity stream". And even though I would like to see more bike-related content on GR, I think the Tar Pit serves an important function (as explained previously) and should not be eliminated.

However, given that nobody here seems to have a problem with allowing users to filter out updates from subforums they're not interested in, that definitely seems like the way to go, if possible.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Who needs and ignore but if you don't like the topic just don't read the thread.
    I often disagree with it worked is like when people are showing politics down our throats in the form but there's this mental thing called you no more and you just mark as read what is the big deal
    Maybe our new be restarted the comments on this just hasn't figured that out yet.👍😎
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

I can ( manually ) set sub forums to hidden for members who request so. Will post a note
    about it in the Tar Pit. Anyone adding their name to the list, will have their setting changed so
    that the Tar Pit does or posts therein are not visible. I could not find a mod that allowed exactly
    what i wanted.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.