Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Twisty rindo ride to Sobarako campground June 1-2

Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    Nope, just Saturday It's not realistic to be honest, got too excited building the route
    I used to do that a lot. Now I know that, as a rule of thumb, if you are riding in a focused way (i.e., not going super-fast, but not wasting time on long, frequent rest stops and lunch breaks), you should expect to cover about 35km/h on paved twisties, including stopped time.

If you're really focused (i.e., keeping a pretty fast pace with minimal stops), maybe you'd get that up to 40km/h.

If you're cmac doing the Twistybutt, maybe you'd be close to 50km/h (660km/14 hours). But very few of us are cmac, and this is not the Twistybutt.

Your departure time is 6am. Let's assume you want to reach your destination by sunset. That means you'd ride until about 7pm, or 13 hours on the road, total. In that time, you should expect to cover about 455 to 520km, depending on how fast you go, how many stops you take, and how long they are.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    Reserved a bungalow! Forgot to ask them, though: Do I need to bring a sleeping bag & camp pillow or do they provide bedding?
    My posting on page 1
    i booked the cabin !! 3300¥ that includes entrance fee 500¥ room 2000¥ and 800¥ of pillow-Futon up and down...Great deal !!
    Ok JamesK I will follow (try to ) you !
    Where do we meet up on Sat morning?
    Looking forward !!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
    Diabolik, I too have not been getting enough sleep throughout the week so this one-time let's switch to the afternoon start time, i.e. 6AM @ Hasuda
    Thanks God or thanks JamesK ( same same, but different:-)

Don't forget Yoga cloths!!!

English Rob, JV and anyone else who decides to join the twisty rindo ride:

As we will be in isolated areas for much of the way, bring snacks and a big bottle of water so you don't have to worry about becoming hungry or thirsty enroute.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post

As we will be in isolated areas for much of the way, bring snacks and a big bottle of water so you don't have to worry about becoming hungry or thirsty enroute.
    we always do a trail lunch when riding rindos. deli stuff from the supermarket or sandhwiches is the way to go!

you guys have fun. looking forward to the report!

Quote Originally Posted by haildamage View Post
    we always do a trail lunch when riding rindos. deli stuff from the supermarket or sandhwiches is the way to go!

you guys have fun. looking forward to the report!
    +1. Just picked up some salami and cheese, and have frozen a 2-liter bottle of tea.

quick question to has been there before..
    -Mosquitos ??
    - Any Showers? or we have to go the hippy style........?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Diabolik View Post
    -Mosquitos ??

Thanks
    I believe/remember they have showers.
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Diabolik View Post
    -Mosquitos ??

Thanks
    They have a pay shower onsite, but there is a very nice rustic rotenburo about 5 minutes away. I plan to head over there after check-in.

Not sure about the mosquitos but it never hurts to bring bug repellant.

Screw it looks like a fun. Just called plenty of cabins left, so I'll head up after wrk around 16:00.
    Anyone wants along, I guess I'll get on the Tohoku about 17:00 expect I'll be there before 20:00

Great weekend, tons of great twisties.

TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

JamesK, how could you leave out the highlight of the entire trip? Here it is, Diabolik teaching us yoga...

IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

JamesK and Diabolik led the pavement crew this time, so here are some shots from Team Rindo:

We had to ride around snow at some points toward the top. This spot still had a decent amount of non-snowy ground, but in one place there was just a tire-wide strip of mud between the snow and the cliff!

Rocky mountain high:

Two paths diverged; we took the one on the right.

Japanviking got a flat; luckily Twinrider and I had our Motopump plug-and-pump kits handy:

Giant blond gaijin sightings are kind of a big deal out in the countryside:

We all met up at the campground:

Nice cabins:

wrk2ride_ride2wrk rolled in after dark:

Now that's a fire!

Mmm.... steak...

I had to head back first thing the next morning. Still a great overnight trip!

Last edited by Guy Jinbaiquerre; 03-06-13 at 10:44 AM.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Awesome weekend, been a while since I rode in Fukushima and it was great getting back on those fantastic roads up there again.

Start of the rindo adventure.

Break time.

First sign of snow as the elevation got higher.

More snow...

And more...

Luckily there was just enough room to squeeze by the snow and we made it to the top.

Much easier ride down the other side, with nicer scenery as well.

The last 2-3 kilometers were hardpack dirt with little gravel so it was easy to wick up the pace and have a bit more fun in the corners. Then it turned to pavement.

Found a nice place to have lunch.

Despite the red mark, Guy had nothing but the highest praise for his Arai's comfort.

Rode just a few kilometers when Andreas discovered he had a flat. Luckily we could fix it despite a very tough steel belt in the tire but after that it was around 3 so we headed straight for the campsite via tarmac twisties.

Pulled over for a drink break and got to meet the owners of the vending machine. 90 year old Pops still rides the Honda Cub in the background.

After a night of bbqing and frivolity at Sobarako we set out the next day to do another long 15km rindo. This one was pretty easy but had some deep gravel in places that made it a bit tricky.

Nice views on the way down.

Here's my video of the Snow Rindo:

About the Arai, yes, it is very comfortable. You'll notice that the "red mark" in the photo is actually an even color over my entire forehead where it was inside the helmet. In other words, no hot spots or pressure points. The (slight) redness is probably just from heat and/or sweat; maybe I didn't have the top vents open?

I've tried out helmets from Shoei, Scorpion, Schuberth, and others, and the Arai is hands down the best fit for me. I've worn it for days and days in a row of full-day riding, with no complaints and nothing but comfort.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Great vid, really captures the feeling of doing that part of the rindo!

Great vid, really captures the feeling of doing that part of the rindo!
    Thanks. At 4:37-4:38 you can see snow in my tire tread.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Thanks guys,
    nice welcome for the newbie, special thanks to El Sanchez.... for the the jokes, and James for a fun ride Sunday, nice country. Cheers

looks like a nice rindos for big bikes. i think we stayed in the cabins at that place you had lunch. was that an onsen with cottages, bungalows, cabins, camping, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by haildamage View Post
    i think we stayed in the cabins at that place you had lunch. was that an onsen with cottages, bungalows, cabins, camping, etc?
    Didn't see any cabins but we just went straight to the restaurant so might not have noticed.