Thread: How to add nice, big images to your posts

Lightbulb How to add nice, big images to your posts

Adding photos as "attachments" to your GR post eats up GR hosting capacity and makes your photos look tiny. Here's a better way:

(1) Host the photo somewhere on the Internet.

A good, easy choice for free and reliable image hosting is Imgur, at http://imgur.com/.

(2) Copy and paste the photo's URL inside a set of IMG tags, so it looks like this:

(Make sure you are using the URL of the photo itself, not the URL of the webpage the photo is on.)

BONUS PROTIP:
    Click the "image" button to pop up a "wizard" that puts the URL inside IMG tags for you. (Select "From URL" in the wizard.)

UPDATE: If you use the "image" button, make sure you choose the "From URL" tab and uncheck "Retrieve remote file and reference locally".

Last edited by Guy Jinbaiquerre; 14-06-13 at 03:26 PM.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    BONUS PROTIP: Click the "image" button to pop up a "wizard" that puts the URL inside IMG tags for you. (Select "From URL" in the wizard.)

The img button has been funky since the website got an overhaul last year, it produces a downsized pic (as shown below) that you need to click on to enlarge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g2ovsJh.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	9488

But if I type the img command in, then they appear normal size from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    The img button has been funky since the website got an overhaul last year, it produces a downsized pic (as shown below) that you need to click on to enlarge.
    After you click the img button, are you sure you've unchecked the box that says "Retrieve remote file and reference locally"? If you're leaving it checked, that could be what's causing the problem:

Thanks for reminding me about the need to uncheck that box, which I didn't mention in my original explanation. Try it out and let me know how it works for you.
    Last edited by Guy Jinbaiquerre; 14-06-13 at 03:28 PM.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

That did the trick. Thanks for pointing it out, don't think many members know about it judging by the pics being posted.

Is there a way to resize an image after it has been linked/inserted into the GR post?
    Does the GR post window adapt to the user agent profile (the device's display size) automatically or is it set?
    Tommaso
    Last edited by ascanio1; 02-01-14 at 04:34 PM.
    Italians do it better...
    Benelli Tornado Tre 900, Piaggio Beverly 200 & Honda CB750 K3

Your web browser should just deal with it if it's working correctly.
    All the pictures in this thread are showing correctly on my phone for example.

Doug,

Does it mean that the the forum engine will compress the image size weight (MB) and let the device's display handle the image's size in pixels?
    So, does it matter if I link a 3 MB image?
    Italians do it better...

Nope, it won't do that I don't believe. From what I see it retrieves the image no matter how big at a max of 1200 wide, which keeps the mb down. Resizing it from there is up to the device - browser its going to.

If you look at the pictures on this thread:

http://www.gaijinriders.com/showthre...684#post129684

These are full 24mp images hosted on flickr, so you can see the forum software is doing its job of keeping things sensible.

Will fix that uncheck annoyance. Requires some code change so was putting it off, but will get it done.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    Will fix that uncheck annoyance. Requires some code change so was putting it off, but will get it done.
    Woo Hoo
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    Woo Hoo
    Should be in the default now. Next is to work out how to change the default to
    Remote URL rather than Local Upload. Two keystrokes per image simpler.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

I just tested it and it works: I uploaded some images in my last post and I did not have to click the box. But... when you DO click the box, you get an error message.
    Italians do it better...

New Rule! Do not click/check the box

Thanks for the feedback.