Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good and bad dealerships and repair shops

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Good and bad dealerships and repair shops

Sticky thread. Post here to warn people about lousy shops, or recommend great ones.

If you are posting negative comments about a place, please be specific and factual and avoid vague insults. Examples follow:

YES: "They installed my ETC system incorrectly and then tried to charge me to fix it."

NO: "They suck."
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

"Two thumbs up!"
    Moto Stretta - Tomohiro, the owner/semi-pro racer of this one man shop is a seasoned veteran on Ducati's and other European bikes (I only have experience with Ducati's though). He's up front about pricing, troubleshooting, and is competent. The only down side is that he doesn't have diagnostic tools to work on bike electronics. Website here: http://www.motostretta.net/information.html

"Two thumbs down!"
    Ducati Tomei-Yokohama - In short, the mechanics are incompetent and of the three times I had bikes worked on there, twice they've either made the problem worse or created entirely new problems...both of which were serious to both rider and bike. The disheartening part was both mechanic and management change their stories multiple times and don't seem bothered by it and claim they are never at fault. See full thread here: http://www.gaijinriders.com/showthre...wo-Thumbs-Down

Dana
    A man will marry a woman hoping she never changes but a woman will marry a man hoping he will change. Author Unknown

2010 Yamaha WR250X
    2008 CBR1000RR Race Bike (For Sale)
    2004 Multistrada 1000DS (For Sale)

Minato Triumph Dealership , near Tokyo Tower.....very good service , always tell you what they will do , costs and time it will take. Usually have a demo you can try out if its a 1-2 hour service/repair and 100% guaranteed to be offered a cup of tea the moment you walk into the shop (very British...) , great shop , nice people ����....plus they have some really cool bikes ....

Marutomi Harley-Davidson - My dad and his buddies have used the shop for years, definitely not the cheapest shop around but you get what you pay for. They also provide a wash for every bike that comes in, so after service your ride is sparkly clean! Have only heard one negative story about them from a buddy, but then again his Japanese skills were not up to par as well so it's a "he said, she said" kind of thing.

Marutomi Ducati/KTM - Across the road from the Harley guys, the chief mechanic Murayama-san can always be seen elbows deep into a KTM engine or sitting on the floor greasing main bearings/assembling a transmission. The guy knows what he's doing, unfortunately he has to follow the Marutomi protocol and check off every little item used or time spent; therefore it can get expensive. However, will tell you straight up how much it will cost and time, parts etc... They also have a rarely used dyno in-between the shops that they will let anyone borrow for 5,000 yen a run or something like that. (Even though the price says 10,000 on the window, ask him and he'll give you a better price for a few runs)
    Quote Originally Posted by tokyojrock View Post
    I am going over to Keisho next week to eat the owners ass!

Two thumbs Down
    Ducati Nagoya North/Mr Bike,

Not foreigner-friendly. No help, so service, and apparently, no Ducati parts! Tried many times to make purchases there, only once left with the parts I needed. Couldn't even buy a bike! Three attempts to get timing belts, twice the wrong set in spite of having frame and engine numbers. On the final try, I needed a front sprocket retainer. The mech at the service counter looked shocked when the manager told me they didn't have any. Then added, they had no chains or sprockets either.

Don't waste your time here.

Red Baron Moriyama*

You gotta be a member of the Red Baron club (buy a bike there or pay an annual fee) to get the most out of the RB network, but the service prices are at least 10% lower than other places. Oil club is great, the pick-up service comes in handy... stuff like that.
    Speedy service, they have a great store of knowledge and will actually use such resources as internet forums to sort out weird problems.
    Great staff - the manager guy has helped me out a bunch of times with all kinds of weird things, like car insurance :D
    They guarantee their work too. And fix their screw-ups: they busted the mirror on the Duke when it was in the shop, and they replaced it free-of-charge, of course...

Only problem with RB is getting parts for the KTM cos KTM HQ likes to mess around with them, cos they're not dealers... I wonder if the same goes for Ducati etc... Japanese parts come in a week though.

*Heard from others that RB has variable quality of staff, but the stores I've been to in Shiga at Moriyama (home base), Ohmihachiman, Hikone and Otsu have been good.

Agree, the RB on the 246 in Kawasaki is pretty good. Your right about the VIP club, my girl got her bikes there and gets great benefits but I guy used bikes and tried to get insurance through them but got SHOT down. Gota be part of the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammichan View Post
    Agree, the RB on the 246 in Kawasaki is pretty good.
    Had a bad experience with them. Wanted to buy a bike, told them no drop or crash bikes please.
    They ship a bike from another shop. I do again to view. Indent on chassis from brake lever, fairings
    crooked and stays bent. Sales guy gets angry when i tell them the bike was dropped. Try to claim i should
    buy because they brought the bike from another shop. I quite un-politely tell him what to do with the
    bike. That was 10yrs back though, so maybe they replace the previous id10ts.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Motorrad Haneda -

Good service. Very reasonable pricing. Responsive to price negotiation. Eager to retain clientele and willing to go extra mile for a customer.
    Both mevan123 and myself use them for service. A few hick ups here and there but nothing repulsively major so far.
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

That's Haneda Honda's other shop, yes? Good service, I use them for anything I can't do myself. Odd thing - they don't want to take appointments, just show up and they do whatever right then.

RS Taichi in Kyoto changed my tyres for me.

Wanted Dunlop a-13s but they wouldn't put them on cos the actual width was 169... as my S20s (164) had been nicked by the chain. The only tyres they'd do were the Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2s whose actual width was 161.

It was a more expensive set of tyres, but they changed me the same price as they quoted for the Dunlops and even took off the fitting fee!
    Good service, from making a booking to getting it done and everything explained in the meantime.

Didn't notice that my front brake pads were nearly shot though :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    Had a bad experience with them. Wanted to buy a bike, told them no drop or crash bikes please.
    They ship a bike from another shop. I do again to view. Indent on chassis from brake lever, fairings
    crooked and stays bent. Sales guy gets angry when i tell them the bike was dropped. Try to claim i should
    buy because they brought the bike from another shop. I quite un-politely tell him what to do with the
    bike. That was 10yrs back though, so maybe they replace the previous id10ts.
    When I was interested in getting the TL, they said very clearly that I could get any bike shipped to Shiga to have a gawk at, but I'd have to pay a shipping however I was NOT obliged to buy it.

Exclamation DUCATI Tomei-Yokohama changed 180c! It isnt as bad as you think!!

At first, I sort of agreed how this thread started with Tomei-Yokohama Ducati dealer getting 2 thumbs down. But now I totally disagree. Let me give you a quick summed-up of this store. I've been going back & forth from this store since 2005 after I bought my ride from there. In around 2005-2007 period my bike had a few problems with the usual wiring/hoses/coolant problems, (the 2 previous store managers ago) Mr.Isobe was the best of the best person. He forgot to give me 1 extra Ducati key after I bought a used bike from him. He personally came to my house that same night apologized, delivered the key, along with Ducati kids apparel for my daughters. He felt bad for selling the bike to me which came with quite a few common problems, he tried his best to alternate the bill each time, so he is mostly charging me for parts & opt out all the labor.
    Then after he quit, Mr.Tanaka (the previous store manager) was not the manager you want. He wants business & cares only money. Creepy as hell. My friend, "J" who has a Supersport had constant stalled, something big like camshaft/piston blah blah. They billed him 280,000y and claimed all was fixed...till "J" discovered the engine oil was still black on the glass window. How could you fix all the inner part of combustion area without adding back in some fresh oil? He got the same choke and stall, brought into Ducati-Ohta and the other mechanic swore that the bike was not even touched!!!???? He almost sue the store but Ohta fixed everything for a cheaper price & made Tomei-Yokohama coughed out the previous $$$ back to "J".
    I've had my plastic coolant tank cracked 2x & Tanaka just said Oh its normal, I'll fix it for you FREE (he said) When I was there, he charged me for the parts. He then said fix is free. Perhaps I missed out on that one Jpnese word? 2nd time I got an estimate on Ohlins shocks overhaul. When I went in to clarify. He said that was a mistake in quotation. But its all on black & white on my estimate??! He giggled and said if I buy more things, he'll go with my wrong quotation. My other friend also had an incident when he was at the counter, he heard Tanaka whispered to his staff and said "Charge him full price" (thinking the white customer doesnt understand any Jpnese) Anyway, long story short, for almost 4yrs I've been riding all the way to Ohta-Ducati to get service.
    Now, the devil is gone. I dont go to Ohta anymore. WHY? Cuz the Devil is working in Ohta as the store manager now. In the past 1-2yrs, Tomei-Yokohama Ducati, Mr.Ishii is in charge. (current store manager) He is honest, good, sometimes slow to respond to your emails/calls cuz he is super busy other than that, he understands English pretty good as long as you speak slow. He tries his best to make you walk out happy. I am cheap, I would sometimes walk in with other flyers to show him. He would try his best to beat or match it. I've had oil/tires changed, parts overhauls with no trouble at all. No sketchy extra charged. Ducati is under the head of Kizuki, which also deals with other foreign bikes like KTM, BMW... he has been generously ordering KTM parts and BMW parts for my buddy at 15-20% off. He hardly pockets any $ for his store. I would not give it 2 thumbs down. Walk in and say "Nick who rides the red 748 told me about this place" he'll do his best to make you happy.

FYI, I dont get a penny for writing this or recommending him. I just want to let you know that this guy makes my shopping and hobby more enjoyable while I've been in Japan for 10+yrs. my other buddy just bought a Diavel summer of 2013 for 2 million yen, originally it was 2,150,000, he just mentioned my name. You got nothing to lose by trying.
    Last edited by NickyJapan748R; 01-12-13 at 08:08 PM. Reason: spell mistake

Had a small problems with Ducati Tomei not wanting to honor a Ducati warranty.
    Told them we contacted Ducati Italy and they suddenly change their mind. After that
    they have been very decent. Also, they have been good with spare parts, ordering for
    me without any deposit, which is rare in Japan.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Default Trust is all I can say

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    Had a small problems with Ducati Tomei not wanting to honor a Ducati warranty.
    Told them we contacted Ducati Italy and they suddenly change their mind. After that
    they have been very decent. Also, they have been good with spare parts, ordering for
    me without any deposit, which is rare in Japan.
    I dont know if its rare or not. I once ordered a brand new 2007 Yamaha R6 at Yamaha with just 1000y deposit. They shipped it all the way from NA to Asia for me. At Ducati-Tomei, I've been ordering parts, clothing...with no deposit even when the total bill goes over 100,000y

Wow, you went back for a beating that many times?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyx View Post
    Two thumbs Down
    Ducati Nagoya North/Mr Bike,

Not foreigner-friendly. No help, so service, and apparently, no Ducati parts! Tried many times to make purchases there, only once left with the parts I needed. Couldn't even buy a bike! Three attempts to get timing belts, twice the wrong set in spite of having frame and engine numbers. On the final try, I needed a front sprocket retainer. The mech at the service counter looked shocked when the manager told me they didn't have any. Then added, they had no chains or sprockets either.

Don't waste your time here.

My ducati Kyoto experience.
    1st time tey were quite unfriendly towards me with the exception of one sales guy. Wen told me that since my duc came from the states they can not service it.
    When I left I contacted ducati Italy. Within 1 week they actually called me to discuss my bike and te dealership. They then sent me ( Italy) a new red card no cost to me and a new owners card.
    They contacted the owner of the dealership and ever since the mechanics have been detailed and good. The sales person who was rude has not been seen since. And they even gave me schwag for my daughter.

A great Sally shop in Kyoto is Moto Mac. He's a former Honda factory racer and mechanic. Works on all bikes great guy no English but he is a great guy. And honest and fair.

Lastly nankai in daigo I. Kyoto. They go. Of their way to help western ears and get you what you need.
    They've gotten me parts for the duc easily as well as te CBR. These men and women go te extra mile.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

I'm revising an earlier statement.
    Ducati Kyoto- sales staff still get 👍👍👍👍👍
    However the service department 👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎
    Here it is they assume their customers know nothing at all and just ok everything.
    I sent it for a replacment part in which they broke to begin with and a Desmo service, ( I know own the tool to do it myself) when I went to check they said oh your fork seals are bad ( wrong) I produced receipts and proof they were new. They said I needed to replace my clutch. Not the plates everything because it was slipping. They did not remove the clutch cover and look at the parts they assumed I'd sign off on a blind repair or. ¥165,000.
    So what did I do I said not touch my bike. I'd pick it up Wednesday morning. I have since called Ducati Italy no email this time and I filed a formal complaint about their service department.

Now a piece of good news on a shop. If your looking for a great deal on tires here in Japan, try te Japan tire center in Kyoto on nishioji dori. Near Kyoto station good pricing.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    Motorrad Haneda -

Good service. Very reasonable pricing. Responsive to price negotiation. Eager to retain clientele and willing to go extra mile for a customer.
    Both mevan123 and myself use them for service. A few hick ups here and there but nothing repulsively major so far.
    Nice. Agreed, been very accommodating & pleasant to work with! (^_-)

What about SCS?
    CBR1000RR REPSOL, VTR 250

Warning: Bike Shop Okamura - Futakotamagawa, Tokyo.

Just a heads up about a crappy experience I had with this Italian scooter shop in Futakotamagawa.

TL:DR - Asked a Malaguti dealer for an honest appraisal of a used bike I’d bought. Got completely shafted instead.

I bought a used 2010 Malaguti Blog 125 as my very first bike. It seemed to be in pretty good condition, but ran into a few problems almost straight away.

After replacing the ECU (50,000yen!) at my local bike shop, the owner recommended I take the bike to a Malaguti dealer for any future repairs.

Luckily this shop was near my work, and I'd been in a few times window shopping. They had several new Malaguti's for sale ad promised they knew this bike and could look after it ok.

First impression was really good. They were friendly and helpful. As I was a bit concerned about the bike, as I don't have much mechanical knowledge about scooters, and was a bit worried I'd bought a lemon, so I asked them to check the bike thoroughly and give me a report on it's condition.

They came back and said that it needed a bit of routine maintenance (spark plugs, weight rollers, brake pads etc) but was otherwise ok. They said the repairs would cost about 55,000 but after that the bike should be fine. They said they'd give it a full check and as far as they could tell it should be fine.

Satisfied I gave them the go-ahead. Got my bike back a few days later and it seemed fine.

Then after getting the bike back, after about 20 minutes of riding the temperature gauge would suddenly shoot up to “hot”. The first few times weren’t too bad, but then one day the gauge shot up into the red and green coolant starts spraying out

Sent the bike off on a truck, and my wife got on the phone and was pretty annoyed. They apologized and said they'd check it out.

They had the bike for another few days and diagnosed a thermal regulator as being the cause of the problems. Wanted 10,000 yen to fix it.

I questioned them about the value of repairing the bike, and again they promised that after this it would be fine. I asked them to check it completely because if there were any other potential problems looming I would trade it on a newer bike.

They promised it was a good bike.

Pick up the bike after work, get 15 minutes into my ride home, and suddenly the temperature gauge shoots up and my gloves are covered in green fluid.

Pull into a 7/11 parking lot and try and call them, but they'd already gone home. The next day was their day off. Got the bike home, and when they opened up again on Thursday they got an incredibly angry phone call from my wife.

Sent the bike off on a truck again. This time they diagnosed the problem as being a blown head gasket, a rooted water pump, and a few other things.

When I confronted them about the bike, they said they hadn't checked those parts, and that it had been badly repaired in the past. How they missed this during the previous two inspections is beyond me.

They promised to fix it for cost price, but still somehow ended up being another 43,000 yen. Again I asked them to check the bike with fine tooth comb and let me know if they find any problems.

I got a loaner scooter, and they had the bike for 2 weeks fixing everything.

Finally pick up the bike, and everything looks good. They promised that they had checked everything, and now it should be fine.

Unfortunately I forgot to check the operation of the lights, but everything else was ok. Took it on a long test ride and it was fine.

Get the bike home and ride it for a few days, but the fuel economy has gone to shit, and the rear wheel started making a squealing sound. Then I do my first night ride and notice both the tail lights are out.

Take it back. They swear that the lights were working when they gave it to me. But I ask them to check it while I'm watching them. They unscrew the sealed assembly and neither light has been connected, and parts are missing. Parts that I know had been their previously as I'd replaced one of the bulbs when I bought the bike.

They made some b.s excuse about it "falling out" (not possible) but promised to fix it.

They then looked at rear brake for about 1 minute. The owner says "it's probably the brake rotor" He then said "that shouldn't fail at only 14,000 k's, so you bike has probably had it's speedo wound back, which why it's so unreliable". At which point I blew my own head gasket.

They'd been asked to give condition reports 3 times. They'd charged me a fortune to change the brake pads, yet after looking at a squeaky wheel for 1 minute they determined the bike had been tampered with. How they'd missed this the three other times, and while changing the brakes was simply beyond comprehension.

After few intense conversations they agreed that they would fix it for free.

When picking up the bike later that night I got the mechanic on his own and asked him his opinion and he said that he'd told the owner the bike was trouble and not in great condition. I don't know if he was scared of me, and trying to deflect the blame, but he seemed like he was telling the truth.

So I'm basically out over 150,000 in total repairs on an old bike, that I'd asked for an honest appraisal of 3 times. Yet each time they bs'd me probably hoping I'd keep coming back for repairs.

Stay away.