Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good and bad dealerships and repair shops

Default Good and bad dealerships and repair shops

Mechanic who can do older BMW clutch replacement? 2002 R1150RT. My local guy doesnít want to do such a big job, and BMW is premium rates. Recommendations?
    Tokyo / Kanagawa area are the most convenient, but could consider Chiba and Saitama, if the cost savings are big enough.
    Iíve got the parts on order, so mostly talking about the labor cost.

Usually with most dealerships/mechanics/shops etc. they will only warranty the labor/parts combination if you get the parts from them. If the part fails, and you provided the part they will charge you labor again to replace the failed part. If you get the parts from them and the part failed they will generally not charge you labor to replace the failed part.

While the BMW is much more like a car, I can't imagine doing the clutch being that difficult though. Have you thought about doing it yourself? This is the most viable method if you order the parts separately.

Default Good and bad dealerships and repair shops

Quote Originally Posted by ToraTora View Post
    While the BMW is much more like a car, I can't imagine doing the clutch being that difficult though. Have you thought about doing it yourself?
    Way too big a job. Donít have the right tools, need a center stand, involves removing the shaft drive, talks 6~8hrs for a first timer. No shed to work in and pause if necessary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ToraTora View Post
    While the BMW is much more like a car, I can't imagine doing the clutch being that difficult though.
    The R1150RT, clutch replacement essentially requires most of the bike to be disassembled like so:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HUGDFAH.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	12954

Yup it looks a hell of a lot like a car!!