Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Member Map

Default Member Map

Quote Originally Posted by Sasane View Post
    I don't know if this has been suggested before, but would it be possible to get a Member Map added to the site? I think it would be a great visual resource for connecting with people close to you, and to people who may live along your planned routes. I think that the NC700 forum that I follow uses the same software as this site, and they have a map over there.
    Attachment 9562
    It is fairly simple, but it allows members to drop a pin at their location. There are currently only three NC700 riders in Japan on that map.
    I am not sure what it would take to use the same tool at at the NC700 forum, but I suppose we could find another way as well. If that feature costs money, or is a bitch for the admins to set up, then we could probably just create a shared Google map to suit the purpose.

Any thoughts?
    Will look into this and move the post to the BBS Status & Feedback section.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Plan to look at how difficult it is to implement tomorrow. Will let you know.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Default Member Map

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    Plan to look at how difficult it is to implement tomorrow. Will let you know.
    Fantastic! Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride reports and shots from the saddle here: http://www.touring.henneberry.net/

Done. Sasane, can you check it for me?

Jav, looks good. I am not sure why it seems to have randomly selected locations for everyone. I think I was located somewhere in Africa!
    Now if we can just get people to update their locations this will be a really useful tool!
    Thanks for setting it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Sasane View Post
    Now if we can just get people to update their locations this will be a really useful tool!
    Thanks for setting it up!
    I spent the last 10 or 15 minutes trying to figure out how to update my location for the member map and couldn't figure it out. Maybe I missed something obvious, but it certainly doesn't seem intuitive.

Could someone give me a brief tutorial?

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    ...spent the last 10 or 15 minutes trying to figure out how to update my location...Maybe I missed something obvious, but it certainly doesn't seem intuitive...
    Try to 'maximize/minimize' the members-map to such a point where you can find/read various members' locations including yourself. Suggest that you search for yourself by way of continent to continent. Once you have located yourself then simply drag your 'balloon-icon' to your current location as I have done and I assume Sasane did so likewise. Like Sasane, I found myself being in Africa as well.

Must be some sort of a glitch with this map's initial set-up to have members placed 'all over the map'. Anyway, 'seek and ye shall find...'
    Last edited by Java-guy; 07-08-13 at 09:22 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    Done. Sasane, can you check it for me?
    Thanks for getting this map set up, Jav! Also many thanks to Sasane for this useful suggestion!!

Maybe this should be somehow brought up to the entire forum, especially any newcomers. Providing of course, they want to be known as to where they are located on the members'map.

Quote Originally Posted by Java-guy View Post
    Try to 'maximize/minimize' the members-map to such a point where you can find/read various members' locations including yourself. Suggest that you search for yourself by way of continent to continent. Once you have located yourself then simply drag your 'balloon-icon' to your current location as I have done and I assume Sasane did so likewise. Like Sasane, I found myself being in Africa as well.

Must be some sort of a glitch with this map's initial set-up to have members placed 'all over the map'. Anyway, 'seek and ye shall find...'
    After three fairly exhaustive searches, it appears as though I do not exist on the map. The forum has over 5000 members, and to my eye, it does not appear as though there are over 5000 pins on the map. Also, many of the pins belong to members who have been banned or have 0 posts.

Edit:
    I finally found myself. Zoom out and look for the pin that has a square in the center instead of a dot.

Awesome!

A few questions if I may.

Where does the map pick up the location from? The profile?

Also, is there any guidelines regarding what kind of location the maps requires? How granular does the location have to be, i.e. is Tokyo enough or should it be Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo?

Would the map pick up GPS coordinates?
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    ...Where does the map pick up the location from?...

Not sure where the members' locations came from, both Sasane and I were intially found to be in Africa...never been there except for the Suez Canal.

By 'maximizing' Japan I was able to pinpoint my current home address, exactly to the actual house-location. Although, others may just want to show a less specific location than what I did.

As far as GPS co-ords, don't believe this map is 'smart/sophisticated' enough nor could it have it have any tracking capabilities. Actually, one must manually move around this map to show his/her most current location.

I believe that this map's main purpose is to allow members to see where other members live for either a visit or to set up convenient meeting points. However should any member be passing through my neck of the woods and want to overnight at my house all he/she has to do is maximize the map and find my house-location. But please PM me before doing so! :)

Is there a way for the map to not show members until they actively enable it?

Quote Originally Posted by Japanviking View Post
    Agree with you, also many of the members shown on this map have been inactive for quite some time and have more than likely moved on. This could be something that Jav would want to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Japanviking View Post
    +1.

I think, if possible, should be made an on-off feature.
    ----------------

Not sure where the members' locations came from, both Sasane and I were intially found to be in Africa...never been there except for the Suez Canal.

By 'maximizing' Japan I was able to pinpoint my current home address, exactly to the actual house-location. Although, others may just want to show a less specific location than what I did.

As far as GPS co-ords, don't believe this map is 'smart/sophisticated' enough nor could it have it have any tracking capabilities.

When I first accessed the map, my Firefox asked if I wanted to share my location with it, so I'm assuming it's using some GeoIP extension to get the location from the IP address where the web traffic is originating.
    ----------------

When I first accessed the map, my Firefox asked if I wanted to share my location with it, so I'm assuming it's using some GeoIP extension to get the location from the IP address where the web traffic is originating.
    Not so sure about that because when I answered 'Yes' to share my location...I remained in Africa until I manually moved or emi/immi-grated myself. Can't see how this map could actually re-locate members as one physically moves about especially while riding. It would mean for one to be 'wired' up in order for this map to recognize various movements or to be 'pinged' every few seconds a la cellphones or blackboxes.

Having said this, if this member map is really so sophisticated then I would want to opt out, too much like 1984 then.
    Last edited by Java-guy; 07-08-13 at 04:45 PM.

Haha, I found myself off the coast of Ghana right on top of the equator! No wonder it's hot today!

----------------

Not so sure about that because when I answered 'Yes' to share my location...I remained in Africa until I manually moved or emi/immi-gratedmyself. Can't see how this map could actually re-locate members as one physically moves about especially while riding. It would mean for one to be 'wired' up in order for this map to recognize various movements or to be 'pinged' every few seconds a la cellphones or blackboxes.

Having said this, if this member map is really so sophisticated then I would want to opt out, too much like 1984 then.
    I think you're right. I answered Yes but it still put me on the equator off the African shores.

It does seem to have an Opt-Out check box. See picture above.
    ----------------

Default Member Map

A d where do I find this map?
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

Haha, I found myself off the coast of Ghana right on top of the equator! No wonder it's hot today!
    That's exactly where I found my pin. But it wasn't there when I first looked.