Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bless Me, Father

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Bless Me, Father

Bless me, Father, for I have thinned. It has been thirty kilos since my last confection,

Good on ya! I recently went back down to double digits also, due to this heat and sweating like a pig.
    Quote Originally Posted by tokyojrock View Post
    I am going over to Keisho next week to eat the owners ass!

Congrats, I'm sure you've noticed the added lightening on the bike.

Default Bless Me, Father

I'm still headed toward double digits. Not there yet, sad to say.

I notice it a bit on the bike, but mostly when I go to sit other places my wide-load ass used to not fit very well, like certain chairs. Unfortunately, there is also a corresponding lack of built-in "cushion" when I sit and that is very noticeable.

My pants got baggy enough I could have smuggled dwarves in them and it was very satisfying to go to the store and make a very significant reduction in the size of my britches. At my worst, the end of my belt cleared the buckle maybe an inch or two. Now it rounds my hip and is headed toward my ass.

I no longer get winded just going up a single flight of stairs. I can once again pick up dropped items from the floorboard of my truck without my gut getting in the way. Getting up from the futon is no longer an engineering feat. Getting up from a low seat is no longer a comedic production that I try to time for when nobody is looking. My feet and knees don't kill me like they used to. My back doesn't hurt as much or as often. Interestingly, it seems to have had no effect on my blood pressure whatsoever.

I eat three meals a day, at regular times or as close to it as possible. I have zero snacks. And I've been blessed in not really feeling tempted and in only feeling hungry half an hour to an hour before meal times, which is normal. The food for my meals runs from a bit under ¥200 to a bit under ¥400 per meal. No costly special diet food or supplements. I went to my regular doctor on Monday, first time in a couple of months. He was astounded when I told him my daily caloric intake is between 1300 and about 1400 and that I'm not walking around hungry all the time. Saw my urologist for my quarterly kidney checkup (last year's leg trouble and kidney failure) and had probably the best blood test results I've ever had.

And even though it is an odd thing to be be proud of and consider an accomplishment considering I'm still a lardass....I'm pretty sure I have left the ranks of the "morbidly obese" and am now back down to being simply "obese". Next I'm going for "overweight".

I would like to know what you eat for that price! wife and I are cheapppp on food whats the trick?

Otherwise that all sounds fantastic, glad you're seeing an effect which will only encourage you more keep going!

Default Bless Me, Father

Quote Originally Posted by fc10a3 View Post
    I would like to know what you eat for that price! wife and I are cheapppp on food whats the trick?

Otherwise that all sounds fantastic, glad you're seeing an effect which will only encourage you more keep going!
    My food has to be cheap, non-perishable, good hot or cold, and have the calories printed on the label. My staple is whole kernel corn.

A typical day goes like this:

Breakfast -
    Can of corn and Don Quixote spaghetti sauce (meat sauce, retort pouch), with a splash of Tabasco. Cost is ¥191 and calories are 379.

Lunch -
    Can of corn and a pouch of Glico Chicken Curry, maybe a can of water-packed tuna. Cost is under ¥200 and calories are 334 without tuna. Add 59 calories and maybe ¥110-120 for the tuna.

Supper -
    Can of corn and either a pouch of House Cream Stew or a pouch of cream spaghetti sauce, together with tuna. Nice big can of white peaches for dessert. Cost is about ¥360-380 and calories are 630 to 680.

It's not something you'd want to institute at your family dinner table, but it works for my purposes. And before anybody asks, I neither know nor give a damn about the carbs, the protein, the saturated this, the unsaturated that, or any of that stuff. Couldn't care less.

Good for you MC. Keep up the good work. And thanks for the inspiring share.
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    My food has to be cheap, non-perishable, good hot or cold, and have the calories printed on the label. My staple is whole kernel corn.

A typical day goes like this:

Breakfast -
    Can of corn and Don Quixote spaghetti sauce (meat sauce, retort pouch), with a splash of Tabasco. Cost is ¥191 and calories are 379.

Lunch -
    Can of corn and a pouch of Glico Chicken Curry, maybe a can of water-packed tuna. Cost is under ¥200 and calories are 334 without tuna. Add 59 calories and maybe ¥110-120 for the tuna.

Supper -
    Can of corn and either a pouch of House Cream Stew or a pouch of cream spaghetti sauce, together with tuna. Nice big can of white peaches for dessert. Cost is about ¥360-380 and calories are 630 to 680.

It's not something you'd want to institute at your family dinner table, but it works for my purposes. And before anybody asks, I neither know nor give a damn about the carbs, the protein, the saturated this, the unsaturated that, or any of that stuff. Couldn't care less.
    Wow Mike, congrats, 30kg is no laughing matter. Boy could I use to drop 30kg!
    Your dietary plan sounds simple enough that even someone like me might be able to follow.

I've not tried to buy this stuff from Don Quixote before so wondering if these cans have pictures on them? I know I always have to pull my phone out and dig around for the picture of the Tuna in water can (which I eventually stumbled on through much trial and error of buying "in oil crap")... Corn is usually easy enough to buy, as it's got a picture on the can, the rest of that stuff could be quite hit and miss.

Anyway if you get a chance sometime could you snap a few pics of the various cans and post them up?
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

Default Bless Me, Father

Just look on the tuna cans for the calorie info. Water packed is around 60kcal per 80g can. Oil pack from three to four times that much, so the difference is easy to spot.

Don Quixote has whole kernel corn and "corn cream". Not "cream style corn", but "corn cream", which is a liquid with no corn kernels in it. The cans look almost identical. Actually, I'd recommend getting the corn from Costco. It is cheaper and they always have a mountain of it, while my local Donki keeps maybe a case on the shelf at most. Not a reliable source when you need a lot of it.

All the other stuff is the boil-in-bag "retort pouch" variety and easily recognizable by the pictures on the labels. Many of them have the calories marked on the front. Some are in boxes and some are sold just as the loose bag. The curries and stews are all together near the normal packs of curry you would use to cook curry. Spaghetti sauces are with the spaghetti.

Calories are always indicated by "kcal" so that is easy to spot on packaging. Some packages give the total calories per package while some give calories per 100g. If you see "100g" up at the top of the nutrition info, then just do the math to figure out the total.

Use a calorie calculator to figure out how many calories it would take to maintain you where you are now. Decide how much weight you would like to lose per week, figure that at 7700 calories per kilogram and divide that by seven to see how many calories per day you need to "short" yourself to lose that amount per week. Subtract that from the amount you would need to maintain your current weight, and that gives you your daily calorie limit. Alternately, you could run the calculator for the weight you want to end up at, and just limit yourself to that amount of calories. At some point I will have to switch to that because my current 1400 per day is about 900 less than that and I would end up doing a Karen Carpenter if I don't add 900 calories more per day by the time I reach that goal.

I have found the key points for me have been:

1. Calculate. Know the numbers. This is a math exercise more than anything else.

2. Record your daily intake. I just put the numbers in a simple graph app I got for free. Screw writing down what you ate or how much you ate. Who gives a shit? That's the whole point of getting stuff with the numbers on the package in the first place.

3. Eat three meals. Don't skip. There's no need to because you know precisely how many calories you're having for the day and that it will result in a loss. Divvy up the calorie allocation between the three however the hell you want to. I do it roughly 1/4 breakfast, 1/4 lunch, and 1/2 supper.

4. Buy all your food for a week. It lets you easily track things, is sure-fire, and avoids the hassle of finding something at a restaurant, fast food joint, or conbini.

5. No snacks. Not one bite of any damned thing between meals. Have the item in question with your meal or immediately after, fine. But when meal time is over, you're done eating until the next one. Surprisingly, it doesn't take all that long to get used to this.

6. Meals at regular set times of the day. Whatever fits your schedule is fine, but make it something you can stick to without a whole lot of variance. You'll quickly adapt to it and find yourself only getting hungry perhaps half an hour to an hour before your regular meal time. At first i thought feeling hungry was a sign this wasn't working for me, but then it dawned on me that getting hungry prior to meals is a perfectly normal and healthy thing even for people who are of a normal weight.

7. Only weigh yourself once a week. You know from the math that your calories are running at a daily deficit, you don't need to weigh yourself daily to know you're doing alright. Miss taking a crap for a couple days and you'll think you're gaining weight if you do that daily weighing routine. Once a week will do just fine. Record it. There are graphing apps that are free and which are gratifying to see your progress on.

Guy recently posted an article about how bread and rice seem to stimulate hunger. I have found that on days I happen to have either one of those i do find myself feeling hungry again while on the days I don't have bread or rice I really don't have a problem with hunger or temptation.

Some people say to avoid temptation, but I make it a point to go around the things I over-indulged in for years, which is how I got so bad off in the first place. When you come right down to it, obesity is a character issue. You either have the strength of character to regulate your own behavior and resist temptation or you don't. And if you don't have it and don't develop it, then you're going to end up right back where you started, if not worse. And as best I can figure it, avoiding temptation is no way to develop the strength to resist temptation. So I go in the stores and I look at all the delicious shit I was letting ruin my life and slowly killing myself with. I'm conscious of how easy it would be to reach out and grab it, fooling myself that "just one" won't hurt, then I just keep on walking past it. Might I not suffer a rebound at some point? Yes, but if I do I will accept it as a failing of character rather than a failing of some particular diet plan.

.…................

On a related note:

The Komine riding jacket....their largest size....which I was so elated to fit into in June of 2012 and which I subsequently had to hold my breath to zip up by this March now is too loose on me. Ditto the summer mesh jacket I bought in April. I'll finish out the season with them, but I'm figuring on having to replace them by next spring.

In early June I was juuuust able to fit into Komine's largest size mesh riding pants. I tried them again at Ricoland yesterday and they fit much better. Still held off getting them because I know they won't fit long and would also need replacing next spring as well.

I was at Ricoland to get my son a riding jacket with some good protectors and was very pleased to find a new model from Komine, the JK-044 Air Stream. Very handsome design, good standard protectors (chest, shoulders, back, elbows, option to add waist protectors and neck brace), good air flow, and accepts the various zip-in liners for extending the usefulness of the jacket. Only about ¥12,000 at Ricoland. We originally went to Nankai but their selection was crap and the good stuff was high as Scandinavian taxes and the affordable stuff had either inadequate protection or none at all.

Hats off on your weight loss! Very inspiring and informative. I never looked into the food section of Don Quixote but will do so.

I'll have to retry Ricoland when I get south again -- closest to Sendai is Utsunomiya I think. I don't find good stuff at the Nankai in Sendai. I stumbled across a good mesh jacket in Fussa at AFG Motorsports (?), the Icon Anthem: http://www.rideicon.com/products/?productGroupId=73436 . It seems hard to find in Japan gear that (a) stands a chance to protect you and (b) doesn't have all kinds of silly "English" all over it. . .
    I was at Ricoland to get my son a riding jacket with some good protectors and was very pleased to find a new model from Komine, the JK-044 Air Stream. Very handsome design, good standard protectors (chest, shoulders, back, elbows, option to add waist protectors and neck brace), good air flow, and accepts the various zip-in liners for extending the usefulness of the jacket. Only about ¥12,000 at Ricoland. We originally went to Nankai but their selection was crap and the good stuff was high as Scandinavian taxes and the affordable stuff had either inadequate protection or none at all.

When you come right down to it, obesity is a character issue. You either have the strength of character to regulate your own behavior and resist temptation or you don't.
    I have to take issue with this claim. For any one person, losing weight may involve having the willpower to eat less. However, it's simply wrong to use excess weight as a metric for gauging the relative willpower (or even more mistakenly, the "character") of a person in comparison to other people.

Probably all of us have know people who were skinny and couldn't gain weight no matter how much they ate. There's a whole industry that sells these poor souls weight-gain powders so they can "get big". Here in Japan, we're surrounded by Japanese people who are thin despite chowing down on katsu, tempura, and even McDonald's, and washing it all down with beer. There's also been a great video posted up here of a BBC reality show/experiment that fed a whole bunch of people a high-calorie diet. Most people gained a lot of weight, but the skinnies barely gained any. More recently, I posted up a link to a NYT article about scientists finding a gene that controls the body's rate of calorie burning. Presumably there are other genes and factors that control appetite, or the desire to eat in the first place.

So it's not the case that everybody in the world faces an equal challenge when it comes to having the willpower required to cut out as much food as necessary to lose weight. Some people need to muster heroic amounts of willpower on a daily basis in order to lose weight, but others remain at or below "normal" bodyweight without using any willpower at all. Hence, obesity is not a valid measure of a person's willpower relative to that of other people. Yes, a fat person might lack the willpower to make himself lose weight. But a thin person might also lack that willpower, too. You just can't tell, because he's never had to use it.

Moreover, there are lots of other ways to assess a person's character that are much more direct and relevant. Is he honest? Reliable? Generous? Helpful? Kind? Easy to work with? A loving spouse and/or parent? Surely the answers to these questions matter more than his belt size.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    I have to take issue with this claim. For any one person, losing weight may involve having the willpower to eat less. However, it's simply wrong to use excess weight as a metric for gauging the relative willpower (or even more mistakenly, the "character") of a person in comparison to other people.

Probably all of us have know people who were skinny and couldn't gain weight no matter how much they ate. There's a whole industry that sells these poor souls weight-gain powders so they can "get big". Here in Japan, we're surrounded by Japanese people who are thin despite chowing down on katsu, tempura, and even McDonald's, and washing it all down with beer. There's also been a great video posted up here of a BBC reality show/experiment that fed a whole bunch of people a high-calorie diet. Most people gained a lot of weight, but the skinnies barely gained any. More recently, I posted up a link to a NYT article about scientists finding a gene that controls the body's rate of calorie burning. Presumably there are other genes and factors that control appetite, or the desire to eat in the first place.

So it's not the case that everybody in the world faces an equal challenge when it comes to having the willpower required to cut out as much food as necessary to lose weight. Some people need to muster heroic amounts of willpower on a daily basis in order to lose weight, but others remain at or below "normal" bodyweight without using any willpower at all. Hence, obesity is not a valid measure of a person's willpower relative to that of other people. Yes, a fat person might lack the willpower to make himself lose weight. But a thin person might also lack that willpower, too. You just can't tell, because he's never had to use it.

Moreover, there are lots of other ways to assess a person's character that are much more direct and relevant. Is he honest? Reliable? Generous? Helpful? Kind? Easy to work with? A loving spouse and/or parent? Surely the answers to these questions matter more than his belt size.
    I've known plenty of naturally anorexic MoFos who could (some did) subsist on a diet of chocolate bars and "full" coke and where so skinny that they they'd get blown around by the slightest gust of wind e.g. walking between buildings in the city. Will power my ass, just lucky to have the right combination of genes, well, right for the current times and advanced countries anyway, they'd be the first to starve and die out in any kind of famine.
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

I ran Mike's suggested Calorie Counter and find it interesting that the difference b/w Fat Loss and Extreme Fat Loss is 56 calories per day (nothing really).
    Where as maintenance calorie difference is a comparatively whopping 450 calories per day. I am puzzled by the differences.
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Total Calories Including Exercise
    Maintenance 2246 CALORIES/DAY
    Fat Loss 1798 CALORIES/DAY
    Extreme Fat Loss 1742 CALORIES/DAY
    Than of course you think of the fact that a Big Mac has some 2,000 calories and think f@^&#ck me that's a day's worth of calories in one quick meal.
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

Default Bless Me, Father

I'd almost rather have the road rash than "Yellow Corn Highway the Third" or "Ham Steak Bum-Fucked Hillbilly" across my back myself. Thank goodness Komine makes affordable gear with good protection in large sizes and refrains from Engrish.

Excellent stuff Mike. Awesome stuff!

Yamaha Vino 50cc (Sold), Honda Transalp 400V (Sold), Honda CB400 Super Bol D'or (Sold), Yamaha Serow XT225WE (Sold), 2005 Beta Rev 3 (Current) 2015 Yamaha Serow XT250 (Current)

Wowsers. Would be happy with loosing 10kg myself. Congrats.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

I'd almost rather have the road rash than "Yellow Corn Highway the Third"
    I dunno, for a guy who eats three cans of yellow corn a day, it seems like the perfect choice.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Default Bless Me, Father

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    I dunno, for a guy who eats three cans of yellow corn a day, it seems like the perfect choice.
    I substituted red kidney beans for breakfast today. Every now and then I like to pop out a turd without quite so much "bling".

My name for my diet is the Modified Coolio Diet:

A can-o-corn, a can-o-corn
    All I had for dinner was a can-o-corn
    Before I went to school I had a can-o-corn
    I tried to get full off a can-o-corn
    That's all the fuck that we had in the kitchen

- Coolio "Can-O-Corn -

No comment about me being a bumfucked hillbilly?

Well done, Mike. You'll be posing down the beaches of Izu in a pair of budgie smugglers before you know it.

No comment about me being a bumfucked hillbilly?
    Ham steak is more of a low-carb thing.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja