Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bless Me, Father

I ran Mike's suggested Calorie Counter and find it interesting that the difference b/w Fat Loss and Extreme Fat Loss is 56 calories per day (nothing really).
    Where as maintenance calorie difference is a comparatively whopping 450 calories per day. I am puzzled by the differences.
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Total Calories Including Exercise
    Maintenance 2246 CALORIES/DAY
    Fat Loss 1798 CALORIES/DAY
    Extreme Fat Loss 1742 CALORIES/DAY
    Than of course you think of the fact that a Big Mac has some 2,000 calories and think f@^&#ck me that's a day's worth of calories in one quick meal.
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    There are lots of things and even people i could blame for a lifetime spent mostly either obese or morbidly obese, but the simple fact is it was me who decided to eat things of a nature and in a quantity which I knew would result in being a tub of lard....and I did it anyway.
    The point of my earlier post is not that fatties should be absolved of all personal responsibility for being fat, but rather that fat people may have to demonstrate much more willpower to reach and maintain a low weight than thin people do.

So, again, yes, it does require willpower for a fat person to lose weight. But it would be wrong to conclude that a thin person has more willpower or stronger "character" than a fat person simply on the basis of their waist sizes. The thin person may be thin despite not demonstrating any of the willpower you'd fault the fattie for lacking.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Default Bless Me, Father

I see. The naturally slim didn't cross my mind at all. My brother is one of those.

Default Bless Me, Father

That calculator thingy apparently works pretty well. When I started this it showed an expected weight loss of 1.4 kg per week and over the last twenty-one weeks the actual result is 1.31 kg per week. Considering that I don't stick to the values I used for the calculations on my days off and have been to a couple of beer and barbecue binges during that time which no doubt throw the math off, I would say it works remarkably well.....so I'm remarking on it.

Down 36kg (about 80 lbs) so far. The new pants I bought in early July....about nine kilos ago....and which were just comfortably snug are now getting baggy. Just for giggles over the weekend I put on the pants I was wearing at the time I started this. They are HUGE.

I can get into and out of my wife's Suzuki Alto with ease. I used to have to squeeze and a large shoehorn would have been helpful. The seatbelt that wouldn't reach the buckle now has slack to spare.

Yesterday at Donki I made a stack of rice bags totaling 36kg, held them in my arms and showed it to my wife. When she asked what I was doing I told her that's how much I've lost so far. It was fun seeing her eyes bug out. Holding the bags at waist level I had to steady the stack with my chin.

Still plugging along at about 1400 calories per day. Still no problem with temptation and still not walking around hungry. If I had known it was this easy I would have done it years ago.

Good on ya Mike! Makes me want to finally start on the exercise regimen that I've been putting off for the last 4 years....
    Quote Originally Posted by tokyojrock View Post
    I am going over to Keisho next week to eat the owners ass!

Default Bless Me, Father

Quote Originally Posted by waruta View Post
    Good on ya Mike! Makes me want to finally start on the exercise regimen that I've been putting off for the last 4 years....
    I've been thinking I wouldn't mind moving just a wee bit more myself.

I've never been much of a runner although I did track & field and soccer in HS, was definitely more into the team sports than anything else (especially cross country or jogging). My biggest fear right now is my weight and my semi-bum right knee and the strain on muscles unused for years. This is why I'm planning on swimming until I can develop the muscles and/or stamina to do more strenuous sports.
    Quote Originally Posted by tokyojrock View Post
    I am going over to Keisho next week to eat the owners ass!

IMy biggest fear right now is my weight and my semi-bum right knee and the strain on muscles unused for years. This is why I'm planning on swimming until I can develop the muscles and/or stamina to do more strenuous sports.
    I also have a semi-bum knee. FWIW, I started walking on a treadmill at the gym about 15 kg ago. It is working for me.
    For those who don't know, you can download free music from the Web or Itunes that keeps the beat for you. Even though it is supposed to be for running, you can walk it. On ITunes, in the podcast section, you can see Podrunner Intervals, "First Day to 5K" for example.

I've never been much of a runner although I did track & field and soccer in HS, was definitely more into the team sports than anything else (especially cross country or jogging). My biggest fear right now is my weight and my semi-bum right knee and the strain on muscles unused for years. This is why I'm planning on swimming until I can develop the muscles and/or stamina to do more strenuous sports.
    I recommend you guys try doing power walks, costs nothing and you can do it at whatever time works for you. Just walk at a quick pace, even better if you walk along a course that involves some hills. This will build up your stamina and strength while burning calories. In the future you can add some jogging into the routine if you feel like it. I go for powerwalks before breakfast in the AM, listening to podcasts and using the Fitness function on my Nano to keep track of my distance and calories burned.

Swimming is great too (I swim about few times a week), but it won't get the muscles involved in walking/running in shape.

Well done Mike, keep it up!

I've been on a program myself, my more modest aim being to lose 30lb total, but that 30lb has stuck with me through thick and thin for the last 10+ years regardless of the exercise or not that I've done. The only way I've started to lose it is to get the food side under control, I'm going about it a different way but the net result is a calorie reduction over the week to what I would normally eat, exercise on its own never did it for me.

For example since living in Japan I walk to the office and home each day so that's say 28 to 35 kms I walk each week right there and in 18 months of that I didn't lose a single pound.

Exercise alone won't make you thin and diet alone won't make you fit. A combination of both produces the best health benefits.

Default Bless Me, Father

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    Exercise alone won't make you thin and diet alone won't make you fit. A combination of both produces the best health benefits.
    Very well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug68 View Post
    ...28 to 35 kms I walk each week right there and in 18 months of that I didn't lose a single pound...
    As long as you have not gained any poundage then you're doing just great! Walking's great exercise but need to adjust your pace in order to affect massive calorie-burning. As Twinrider said, power-walking will bring on the weight-loss.

Twinrider's also hit on this, swimming, it's the best overall exercise for all of your limbs and muscles, especially bum knees! Bicycle-riding is also great for bad knees, especially for the non-swimmers. For most bum knees, neither swimming nor bike-riding will increase the damage to your knee(s). I had an arthro-scope (cartilage) done 3 years ago, surgeon told me that I was a prime candidate for a knee-replacement. Been riding my 18-speed, swimming and walking as much as possible even though I hate these activities! I still cannot run because of my bad knee but have learned to live through the pain. Not particular for a titanium knee replacement just yet.

Don't like swimming, bike-riding nor power-walking or live in a congested city and cannot get out in the country enough times? Get a skipping-rope, 15 mins/day at a good pace (3 sets of 5 mins), great for your stamina and sweat-loss (calorie-burning)!
    As with most injuries and exercise, one should consult with one's own physician before undergoing any strenuous form of exercises!

After 3 years in Japan, I have dropped 12 kilos, yet I am still enjoying my Cokes and beers!

Attention to one's weight is more of a woman's thing, so very impressed that the male-dominated biker's community here is paying attention!

I gained 20 kilos since I got married 8 years ago. Not saying I blame it on my marriage or anything. Just a fact.

I have my first baby on the way, and I promised myself he wouldn't be born to a fat me, so I have until Dec 20th (due date) to shred some major flab.

The good thing is I recently moved to a new place, and there's a Central Wellness gym two blocks away, and a boxing gym across the street, so I have no excuse.

Plus, and I'm in a "best looser" competition with the guys from my previous job, 5000yen entry, winner with biggest drop/loss in weight and body fat averaged over 12 weeks gets the jackpot. So really, no excuse not to get back in shape whatsoever.
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Nobody ever got sick eating a whole foods, plant-based diet. Cutting out processed foods, meat and dairy, eating a healthy range of vegetables, fruits, legumes, and whole grains will drop your weight and have a very positive effect on your blood numbers and overall health, without strenuous exercise or fasting. Forks Over Knives is a fantastic documentary for anyone to watch. I strongly recommend anyone who is thinking about their diet to watch it. Here's a snippet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9LMezWH5DA

I think you can watch the whole thing here, but I'm running Ubuntu on this machine, which has flash issues:

http://documentaryaddict.com/Forks+O...cumentary.html

Yamaha Vino 50cc (Sold), Honda Transalp 400V (Sold), Honda CB400 Super Bol D'or (Sold), Yamaha Serow XT225WE (Sold), 2005 Beta Rev 3 (Current) 2015 Yamaha Serow XT250 (Current)

Default Bless Me, Father

Now down 41kg (90 lbs) since the beginning of April. While most people have noticed, some have not. I don't say that because they haven't mentioned it, but because of statements which make it apparent they think I'm still the same size.

The pants I bought back in July and which just fit after 27kg loss are 14kg later now baggy. Yesterday for the first time in probably over a decade I went and bought clothes at something other than a "Big & Tall" lardass specialty shop. While I'm still large enough that my selection was rather limited, it was still in a regular shop and the clothes were among the regular inventory, not shoved off into a special corner of the store. I can't tell you what a joy that was. It was made even better when I tried on the largest size they had and had to go put it back on the rack and get the next size smaller.

Buying shoes has also always been an ordeal, as I wear a 29 and most shops only stock up to 27.5, with a few stores carrying 28 or 28.5. I walked through the shoe section of the shop and noticed what looked like a good pair of shoes for riding....size 28....and just for the hell of it thought I'd try to stick my foot in it. Imagine my surprise when they fit. Trying some other models in 28 confirmed it wasn't just a sizing fluke with that one particular model; I've lost a shoe size as well. That explains why my shoes have been feeling so loose lately. I thought they were just stretched out.

Walking through a discount store I found skivvies that fit...again, not even the largest size among their regular stock. And at about 1/8 of the ripoff prices the lardass shop charges.

So in addition to any benefits to health, mobility, vigor, and appearance, life is getting a whole lot easier just in terms of the availability and affordability of clothing.

Four months ago, I couldn't force my lymphedema-swollen leg into the largest size riding pants from Komine. Yesterday I was in Ricoland trying on several models....and none of them in the largest sizes.

I still look like crap, but it's better quality crap and in a smaller package.

Awesome, Mike! Good work.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

That's awesome. I could stand to lose 30kg as well. I think I'll follow your lead. While I can buy stuff at Uniqlo, it's always in the largest sizes and I look like Philip Seymour Hoffman did in Boogie Nights.

That's awesome progress Mike, congrats.

Any difficulties sticking to the MC Diet? Since you've now been on this diet for a good few months, have you had to make any modifications?

Lastly, I'm curious why you (before) bought this kind of stuff locally, and not in the US, like everyone else?
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

Default Bless Me, Father

Quote Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
    That's awesome progress Mike, congrats.

Any difficulties sticking to the MC Diet? Since you've now been on this diet for a good few months, have you had to make any modifications?

Lastly, I'm curious why you (before) bought this kind of stuff locally, and not in the US, like everyone else?
    I change small bits, sometimes for variety and sometimes for a store being out of stuff. A couple of weeks ago I bumped my upper limit by 200 calories to 1700 per day (working days, don't bother counting on days off), but that was just to slow the pace. Still no problems with being hungry or tempted. So far this has been a really easy process, free of hassle or hardship. So easy I sort of feel like I must be cheating.

I wasn't aware everybody buys their clothes elsewhere. I've always been loathe to order clothes from overseas from a concern over the expense and aggravation if they don't fit.