Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bless Me, Father

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    While I can buy stuff at Uniqlo, it's always in the largest sizes and I look like Philip Seymour Hoffman did in Boogie Nights.
    For reference:

IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    For reference:

Less hair on the head, and more on the belly and face, and you got me.

Mike, that's awesome stuff. Are you noticing any increase in the fuel economy of the bike?

Yamaha Vino 50cc (Sold), Honda Transalp 400V (Sold), Honda CB400 Super Bol D'or (Sold), Yamaha Serow XT225WE (Sold), 2005 Beta Rev 3 (Current) 2015 Yamaha Serow XT250 (Current)

Default Re: Bless Me, Father

Quote Originally Posted by Dualta View Post
    Mike, that's awesome stuff. Are you noticing any increase in the fuel economy of the bike?
    Seriously, handling and suspension performance will improve noticeably if you remove 40kg of weight from the equation.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Default Bless Me, Father

That is true, Guy, and there has also been an improvement in fuel economy.

Congrats on the stellar achievement, Mike. How much more are you aiming to lose?

To put this into some perspective, if any is needed, at 40kgs lost so far, you've lost 2/3 of my total body weight. At 5'7 and 44 years-old I'm considered to be around the appropriate weight for my height. This is an extraordinary achievement so far mate.

Yamaha Vino 50cc (Sold), Honda Transalp 400V (Sold), Honda CB400 Super Bol D'or (Sold), Yamaha Serow XT225WE (Sold), 2005 Beta Rev 3 (Current) 2015 Yamaha Serow XT250 (Current)

Congrats on an amazing achievement. Hope you do not find them again.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Default Bless Me, Father

Thanks very much for all the kind words and encouragement. I sincerely appreciate it.

My initial thought was to go for one kilo per week for one year and then see how things are going. I'm currently about ten weeks ahead of that pace.

I don't know if I'll make it that far, but I thought it might be fun to go for the same weight I was when I finished boot camp in 1983. About another 38kg to go for that. I know from a previous diet experience that another 20kg will have me in very good shape, even if technically still overweight. So by the time I approach that figure I will start gradually adjusting my intake back up to a maintenance level appropriate for post boot camp weight and just gradually slide toward that, considering weight loss from that point to be from new dietary habits rather than dieting.

I wish I could talk about how tough this has been and how I've worked so hard to get to this point, but I'd be a damned liar; there's been nothing at all tough about it and no work involved. In the future? Who knows? But so far, nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    I wish I could talk about how tough this has been and how I've worked so hard to get to this point, but I'd be a damned liar; there's been nothing at all tough about it and no work involved. In the future? Who knows? But so far, nope.
    One piece of advice: As you lose more and more weight, your pace of weight loss may slow down. You may even "plateau" at times and not lose any for a while.

DON'T LET THAT GET YOU DOWN.

You WILL keep losing weight if you stick to your diet, just not as quickly as when you had tons of extra weight to lose. You won't keep losing weight if you say "Screw it" and go back to your old habits.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Awesome achievement! Keep it up!

I agree with Guy's point.
    Your weight loss speed will inevitably slow down. But, for as long as your basal metabolic rate is above your daily caloric intake, i.e. you maitain a caloric deficit, you will continue to loose weight, albeit more slowly than before because the BMR decreases in proportion with body weight.
    You will stop loosing weight when your BMR equates your daily caloric intake, i.e. no longer maintaining a caloric deficit.
    Note: Not meant as a lecture to anyone. I'm just putting it in words to remind myself to watch my daily caloric intake.
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Default Bless Me, Father

Lectures are welcome, directed toward me in particular or the world at large. Anything that someone in need of a bit of hope or encouragement might stumble across and be helped by is perfectly fine by me.

Since we don't have before and after pics for Mike's weight loss, I prepared this helpful simulation:

(BTW, those are actual photos of a real dog. Here's his story: http://edition.cnn.com/video/?/video...og-surgery.cnn )
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Since we don't have before and after pics for Mike's weight loss, I prepared this helpful simulation:

(BTW, those are actual photos of a real dog. Here's his story: http://edition.cnn.com/video/?/video...og-surgery.cnn )
    That one on the left is a seal, not a dog.

Default Bless Me, Father

Hmm, I like him better chunky. Much more character! 👍

wow that was great any advice can you give