Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offroad bike tire changer

Default Offroad bike tire changer

This looks like the mutt's nuts...

http://www.kauritmoto.com/
    Last edited by Twinrider; 09-09-13 at 09:34 PM.

Nice idea but that tire seems really loose on the rim. Had to change
    about 4 on offroad bikes, 3 months back, and the tires seemed much tighter on the rims
    than the tire that guy shows. Also, the levering to get the tire off scuffs up
    rims. Even on my dirt rims, i like them looking good.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

A customer vid, just using the tire tool and an old car wheel as a base. First time to use it and apparently with no lube, took about four minutes.

Last edited by Twinrider; 10-09-13 at 09:37 AM.

Interesting little tool, but given how infrequently we typically change knobbies I don't know if it makes sense spending that much money. Besides, all you really need is a 2-3 tire spoons to mount any tire. I noticed that dude didn't use any lube, a silly mistake, some tire lube makes the job so much easier.
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
    Interesting little tool, but given how infrequently we typically change knobbies I don't know if it makes sense spending that much money. Besides, all you really need is a 2-3 tire spoons to mount any tire. I noticed that dude didn't use any lube, a silly mistake, some tire lube makes the job so much easier.
    I ride my Djebel quite a bit more than you ride yours so am looking at more tire changes. Given that I can buy a set of T63 tires for around 13,000 yen online delivered, paying Speedstar another 5,600 yen for labor raises the cost by another 30 percent. I can do without the fancy stand, am going to check into how much the tool itself costs.

Edit: Just checked and it's $110 — still cheaper than your michinoeki ride entry fee...

But it looks like the old tire needs to be taken off with spoons and then there's the disposal issue. Anyhow food for thought....

It would be good to learn how to change an offroad tire by hand just in case, we should have a tech session to practice sometime.

Last edited by Twinrider; 10-09-13 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    Edit: Just checked and it's $110 — still cheaper than your michinoeki ride entry fee...
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Agree with Jamesk on the tire spoons. Heck used to change em with rounded out crow bars and screw drivers with grease. Speedstar labor sounds great. As for the used tire, just tie it to a tree at the locals kids park. They will love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammichan View Post
    Agree with Jamesk on the tire spoons. Heck used to change em with rounded out crow bars and screw drivers with grease. Speedstar labor sounds great. As for the used tire, just tie it to a tree at the locals kids park. They will love it.
    Good idea about tying the old tire to the tree in the local park, the problem in my case is that none of the parks in my whole ward have enough trees to handle the number of old FJR tires I have piled up
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

Agree with Jamesk on the tire spoons. Heck used to change em with rounded out crow bars and screw drivers with grease. Speedstar labor sounds great.
    Just checked my Speedstar receipt for my Anakee 3 tire change. Labor was actually ¥5,000, plus ¥600 for disposing the old tires. Like I said, not bad for relatively expensive road tires that are a PITA to change but a hefty percentage for much cheaper offroad tires that are easy to change DIY.

Would have to use tire spoons to dismount the old tires, good practice in itself as it would make getting a flat out while touring a relatively minor inconvenience instead of a major PITA. I might try doing a set with spoons alone to see how difficult it is.

I thought NAPS, and similar places, would take your old tyre when buying (not changing) a new one with them (I think that's what they said when I asked). I don't know the difference in price with online places though.

Quote Originally Posted by MeTed View Post
    I thought NAPS, and similar places, would take your old tyre when buying (not changing) a new one with them (I think that's what they said when I asked). I don't know the difference in price with online places though.
    They might but their tire prices are likely much higher than tire specialty shops like Speedstar that charge a ¥300 per tire disposal fee.

I am seriously considering it myself.
    KTM 690 E; DoD#1458

Great idea! I could already have one hanging for almost every kid in our neighbourhood.

I really like this tool. I usually swap at least the front tyre out for a more aggressive knobby every time I hit the rindos, and even that is bloody hard work. If I had a local guy who'd do it for ¥1,000, I'd pay immediately.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

i am too lazy to do it myself at home but if i had that system i might be more inclined.

i do have the beadbrakr system which you could use at home or on the road and we (mostly Vtwister actually) have actually used on the rindo to fix a flat!

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-98-beadbrakr.aspx

Got a reply from the seller. Looking at 114 euros including shipping. Would pay for itself after about 3 sets of tires.

Hello!
    Shipping to Japan one tool costs 16EUR. You must not pay tax. I can make a PayPal invoice to You.
    We are taking off a old tires with spoons.

Best regards!

Are Kaurit

www.kauritmoto.com
    www.tiremountingtool.com

Twinrider, let me know if you order. I'd like to order with you if that will reduce shipping.
    KTM 690 E; DoD#1458

Quote Originally Posted by gkanai View Post
    Twinrider, let me know if you order. I'd like to order with you if that will reduce shipping.
    Shipping is only 16 euros, can't imagine it getting much cheaper than that.

How would the use of this tool be affected by the Tubliss system?
    ...speak softly and pack an obscenely large hammer...

Quote Originally Posted by DDT Rider View Post
    How would the use of this tool be affected by the Tubliss system?
    I haven't tried the tool, but looking at the video it should work fine with Tubliss...

I bought one- the Baja No Pinch one. Anyone wants to borrow it, feel free to- you come get it from me, however.
    KTM 690 E; DoD#1458