Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Ride. Ducati Diavel

Default New Ride. Ducati Diavel

So, I sold my Fazer (the jp restrictions just weren't cutting it for me) and got a Ducati Diavel.

And while it was restricted when I picked it up, I have since unleashed the beast.

Un-restricting it takes 2 steps:

1. An exhaust mod (ie, a slip on)
    2. A remap of the ECU

I decided to get a competition werkes slip on. Its small, very light and sounds great! Was fairly cheap too when compared to offerings from termignoni or just about anyone else. Now it really shows off that back wheel too.

Did the install myself, was quick and easy. You can see the original muffler sitting above the bike on my Honda PCX. (It weighs 5kg more....)

Heres a shot from before.

For the ECU remapping I bought a Tune Boy system and used the maps included to unlock the bike and bring it back to full power. (from 110hp to 170hp )

Not only did it unlock the restrictions, but it also gave my bike cruise control. (freaks out other bikers when i do an Akira)

I also installed a trim file to improve the bikes fueling, since after installing the CW slip on the bike now essentially has a full exhaust. (no cat in the headers or mid pipe)
    The flapper valve thing stays open after doing the remap.

It certainly wont pass its shaken, but at least now its fun to ride!
    I have to say, the restrictions (longer heavier muffler, and ECU restrictions) make the bike pretty shitty to ride at low rpms, especially on japans busy roads with infinite traffic lights.

After doing the mods i let the Ducati dealer ride it and he was blown away by how different it felt compared to any other Diavel he had ridden. It now rides like a Jp bike! But once you open her up you can tell shes a ducati.

Anyway, im still modding her, but performance wise im done. I get roughly 170hp now which is more than enough. She also takes off like a rocket and i doubt any bike out there could beat her :D

Other mods ive made so far are the touring seat for comfort, the screen, and a new headlight bulb. Also a nicer shift rod

Ive ordered some rizoma parts too, they should arrive soon.

Thats it!

Hope to see you all at the next Toy Run!

Sounds like you've got the bike well sorted. Nicely done.

Where did you get the software
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

Quote Originally Posted by martym View Post
    Sounds like you've got the bike well sorted. Nicely done.
    Cheers! Did lots of homework before deciding on this bike. Had to be able to unlock any Jp imposed restrictions. Will never buy another bike here unless.

Quote Originally Posted by racer162 View Post
    Where did you get the software
    Check out Tune Boy (the site doesnt get updated often enough, but there is some info on there)

Basically its a unit that plugs into the ECU on any ducati bike (or most other EU bikes) and rewrites the ECU software.

You can either use whatever maps are available (included with the kit) or go to a dyno and make your own map (always recommended)

With the Diavel its very easy. Just remove the seat, and plug the Tune Boy into the port under the seat, which connects directly to the ECU. (usually used by mechanics for any ECU updates or maintenance)

Fire up the software on your lap top and choose what mapping you want to use (a tune map and a trim map). Once its loaded up, unplug and you are done.

No piggy back, no danger of failure, you can change mapping anytime you want depending on changes in your bikes set up (like if you got a new exhaust, or new air filter). It completely rewrites the ECU software so it gets rid of any nasty Japan specific restrictions and also changes fuel/air mapping.

Ill be honest, this product makes Power Commander or any other similar products obsolete. (having said that Rexxer is another similar option, but you have to remove your ECU and send it to them)

It works on any bike (but you have to buy a new key for every new ECU), one unit will work on multiple bikes (with keys), and they are constantly updating it.

They are currently working on a smartphone app that will allow you to make real time adjustments to your mapping (the unit has wifi) if you leave it plugged in and go for a ride.

If i wasnt for this, i wouldnt have bought the Diavel to be honest. It was the only way to unlock the bikes Japan specific restrictions.

I also still have the original Jp mapping so when i do my shaken i can just re-install the jp map. (Then switch back after)

Another big positive is you never need to remove the ECU. Usually with the diavel or any other Ducati, you have to change out the ECU when you buy one of the very expensive termignoni exhaust systems
    (like this one)

Not only do you pay for the exhaust, but you also have to pay to have the ECU installed.

With TB you just remap the ECU and that's it. (currently available mapping is even better than ducatis own mapping)

Only negatives are slow response from the guys who make the product. But for me anyway, they have been ok.

If you check out the Ducati Diavel Forums there are quite a few threads on the subject.

I can answer any questions too of course.

Nice work!

Do TB have mappings specific to the exhaust system or slip-on you use? Or just a map for all non stock exhausts?

Also, did you get a high flow air filter like K&N?
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    Nice work!

Do TB have mappings specific to the exhaust system or slip-on you use? Or just a map for all non stock exhausts?

Also, did you get a high flow air filter like K&N?
    First ill explain how the mapping works.

You have map files and trim files.

Think of the main map file on your ECU like the OS on your PC. And the Trim files are like apps you run.
    So after you rewrite the ECU map, you can then install trim files which do things like give you cruise control, change air/fuel ratios, And other things like when the bikes fans kick in.

Tune boy give you the hardware unit and the software to instal on your PC.
    Its supposed to be up to you how you remap the ECU (with Tune Boys available maps) and change the air/fuel mapping using your own custom trim maps.

Since Tune Boy was released, a lot of Diavel riders have created their own fuel trim maps. (there are a lot of maps out for other bikes too)

Those maps are now freely available and TB include those with their software.

So really its thanks to all the Diavel riders who took the time and money to dyno their bikes.
    2 or 3 guys took their bikes to Tune Boy (in Australia) and they made maps for them there. (Im using one of those)

I can only see the amount of maps grow over time as more and more people buy TB and dyno their bikes with different set ups.

When the smart phone app comes out, we will all be able to do our own mapping for each individual bike/set up.

Right now not many dyno shops know about TB and even less know how to use it. So we are limited by the currently available maps.

Finally, as far as the Diavel goes, there are 3 or 4 trim maps that cover the 3 possible set ups of the diavel.

1, is stock. (no change to air filter or exhaust) This improves over Ducatis standard air/fuel mapping and corrects any lean-ness.

2, is a Homologated Zard slip on (has cat in it)

and

3, are two termi maps and one hp corse factory map.

These maps are essentially for a full system (with high flow air filter). But since there's no cat in the header or mid pipe, even when you just take off the muffler and put on something like the comp werkes, it is the same as a full system. so its best to use one of the termi maps. (what ive done)
    The other thing is the air filter.

To answer your other question, my bike still only has 600km, but once i go in for my first oil change i will also be changing the air filter to the ducati high flow one. (same one in the picture of my last post)

The map im using was made for a bike with that filter so right now im running a little rich. It will even out once i change the filter.

Sorry for all the long posts. Just want to explain what TB is and how it has the potential to revolutionize how our bikes run. Especially in japan since most bikes are restricted through the ECU as well as the exhaust. Until now, all we could do was change the exhaust.

Now we can stick it to the software guys too ;)

The TB sounds a good thing!! I wish I new it a year ago when I got my Diavel..
    Anyway at that time the Japanese yen was still super strong on the Euro so I got my full system Termi ,ECU and filter from Italy ,for 70000 yen less then if I was buying it in Japan!!:-)

Then I put on few more things , rizoma, CNC.. Few pieces to dress Diavel up.. The "problem" is that when u start to customize , it really never ends ( the only thing that ends is the bank account if u not careful ) that what happen with me when I had Monster S4rs.
    From carbon to blinking parts, rear set, mirror , heated grip for winter, and if u really want to personalize it, color changes......
    Lets catch sometimes AML , for ride and cappuccino with the Diavel(s)

Ciao!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	329.8 KB 
ID:	9888
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	123 
Size:	219.1 KB 
ID:	9889

Good upgrade from a Fazer!

Quote Originally Posted by AML View Post
    Ill be honest, this product makes Power Commander or any other similar products obsolete.
    Unless you have a Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki or Yamaha it would appear...

Wait what - $500 for a $20 cable and some free software?!?! I'm in the wrong business!

Too bad they are very limited on the models that they support.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

double post, please delete

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikuza View Post
    Wait what - $500 for a $20 cable and some free software?!?! I'm in the wrong business!
    I think you fail to understand what the TB does....
    Its worth every penny. Easily as good (if not better) than getting an entire new exhaust system. The software is proprietary (made by TB) and the fueling maps made by other riders are whats free (thanks to them)

And its not just a cable, its a whole unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikuza View Post
    Good upgrade from a Fazer!

Unless you have a Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki or Yamaha it would appear...
    Currently Jp bikes arent supported but some day they will.
    Seriously, Power commander is pointless if you can rewrite the ECU.

Quote Originally Posted by Diabolik View Post
    The TB sounds a good thing!! I wish I new it a year ago when I got my Diavel..
    Anyway at that time the Japanese yen was still super strong on the Euro so I got my full system Termi ,ECU and filter from Italy ,for 70000 yen less then if I was buying it in Japan!!:-)

Then I put on few more things , rizoma, CNC.. Few pieces to dress Diavel up.. The "problem" is that when u start to customize , it really never ends ( the only thing that ends is the bank account if u not careful ) that what happen with me when I had Monster S4rs.
    From carbon to blinking parts, rear set, mirror , heated grip for winter, and if u really want to personalize it, color changes......
    Lets catch sometimes AML , for ride and cappuccino with the Diavel(s)

Ciao!Click image for larger version. 

Views:	119 
Size:	329.8 KB 
ID:	9888
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	123 
Size:	219.1 KB 
ID:	9889
    Sounds good! Lets meet up!

Even with your termi system, you would still benefit from the tune boy. ;)

Sounds good! Lets meet up!

Even with your termi system, you would still benefit from the tune boy. ;)
    Really? In which way could benefit? I thought full Termi will be working good only with ECU dedicate that u buy with exhaust and filter.. Isn't it just a package ?
    See u then, maybe the coming weekend!
    Ciao

The ECU you got with your termis is of course better than the stock ECU (especially for Japan), but its not perfect.

There was still room for improvement. And now there are 2 maps available that are better than what you have now. (maps made on a dyno by other users)

The two riders who made those maps both claim it made a pretty big difference to their bikes even after they replaced the stock ECU with the termi ECU. I think the ECU mapping made by ducati just isnt very good apparently!

The other difference is with the main map, you would gain cruise control, and you would never need to replace the ECU again. (which you currently will have to do to pass the bikes shaken)

So it saves you paying ducati again to replace the ECU and exhaust for your shaken.

For me, i will be able to do it all myself. My Slip on is very easy to replace, and after that i just revert the map back to stock.

The best thing to do is to see it for yourself!

Try my bike and compare it to yours.

I think you fail to understand what the TB does....
    Its worth every penny. Easily as good (if not better) than getting an entire new exhaust system. The software is proprietary (made by TB) and the fueling maps made by other riders are whats free (thanks to them)

And its not just a cable, its a whole unit.

Currently Jp bikes arent supported but some day they will.
    Seriously, Power commander is pointless if you can rewrite the ECU.
    He he he... if you say so - I'll take your word for what I do and don't know ;)

PC *is* pointless if you can rewrite the ECU... but what do you write the ECU with? Oh, that map you downloaded? That's cool, bro.

http://www.tuneecu.com just in case you want the free version. Cable is about $40 on eBay...

Well, to be fair you can only get a full selection of maps for my bike if you buy a TB unit. (all the maps are on the disc)

That tune ecu you linked doesnt seem to support many bikes but it is another viable option!

I also mentioned Rexxer before.

Well, my point is that thanks to tune boy, i was able to unrestrict my bike without spending a fortune.

And I hope to see this option on ALL bikes in the future.

Cool , another Diavel owner ....highlight of some of my rides is to be behind Diabolik when he opens up his bike , I can just turn off the engine and get into his jet stream ......invite me along when u two go riding I wanna hear the pipes on full chat

Quote Originally Posted by englishrob View Post
    Cool , another Diavel owner ....highlight of some of my rides is to be behind Diabolik when he opens up his bike , I can just turn off the engine and get into his jet stream ......invite me along when u two go riding I wanna hear the pipes on full chat
    Hi man are u back?

Hopefully next weekend could be good time to fire up the Diavel(s) and Triumph and who ever wants to join !!!,,

Weather is finally cooling down, weekends are always good for me.

PM me with details.