Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Numbness in hands while riding.

Default Numbness in hands while riding.

So, being a newb, I don't know if this is normal and the IntarNetz isn't helping.

When I ride for more than about 15 minutes, my left hand starts to get numb. If it's longer than 30, I completely lose feeling in my thumb and next two fingers.

I thought it was because I was nervous and gripping the bar too panicky-like, but I'm pretty sure I'm not using a death grip. Just in case, I changed my grip so that I'm basically only touching the damned thing to engage the clutch, but I still get the numbness.

Does anyone else have this? Is this an issue with my SR, which is now in the running for this year's "best personal massage device for ladies" contest? Or is there a way to adjust my grip/buy new gloves that will help?

How is your handle bar? Which angle?..maybe to much waight on your wrist that can compress some nerves ?....

Never experience anything like that...
    Hope u figure out what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by Diabolik View Post
    How is your handle bar? Which angle?..maybe to much waight on your wrist that can compress some nerves ?....

Never experience anything like that...
    Hope u figure out what's going on
    It's at the stock angle, so it's pretty high. I thought it was a weight thing too, but I moved a bit forward in my seat and changed the brake and clutch pedal angle so it would be more comfortable even further forward. Now there's basically no weight on my hands, though my thighs are getting a great workout from clutching the tank.

I hope I figure it out too. I don't want to have reached my dream of owning a bike only to find out I'm somehow genetically incapable of riding one.

If it's a vibration issue perhaps some bar end weights would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post

I can get those at any bike shop?

Edit: Was thinking about getting new grips too. The ones I have feel like the ones I had on my first bicycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    I can get those at any bike shop?
    Nankai, Naps, Ricoland, and the like all have them.

Grips too. Tons of grips.

Big singles vibrate and some people are more sensitive to it than others. Might want to try some gel grips (although you might want heated grips for winter) and heavier bar end weights. There are also products that you can put inside the handlebar to dampen vibration, such as the bar snake. http://www.barsnake.com/

Hopefully these easy fixes will do the trick but if not you might want to consider a different type bike. Did you have any issues on the CB400 that you got the license on?

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    Big singles vibrate and some people are more sensitive to it than others. Might want to try some gel grips (although you might want heated grips for winter) and heavier bar end weights. There are also products that you can put inside the handlebar to dampen vibration, such as the bar snake. http://www.barsnake.com/

Hopefully these easy fixes will do the trick but if not you might want to consider a different type bike. Did you have any issues on the CB400 that you got the license on?
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll hit up Ricoland today.

I hope I don't need to switch bikes, because I love this thing. I eventually want to get a w800 or something like that, but I was hoping to wait a few years until I got used to riding this first.

Also, I didn't have any problems on the CB400 once I'd got over holding it in a death grip.

Change how you hold the grips - where you hand leans on them.

Singles vibrate more - what TR said. My bike does the same thing; I just have to move my right hand around to stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikuza View Post
    Change how you hold the grips - where you hand leans on them.

Singles vibrate more - what TR said. My bike does the same thing; I just have to move my right hand around to stop it.
    Agreed. My W650 vibrates and I've experienced numbness also. Seems to happen more often when it's cold. I solve the problem by shaking my arm around at signals to get the circulation flowing and changing my grip.

Fasstco Flexx bars are what MX/enduro riders use.
    KTM 690 E; DoD#1458

Another thing you could try is rotating your clutch lever forward and down, toward the front wheel. You want to rotate the clutch lever like this far enough so that when you cover the clutch, the back of your hand and your forearm are in a nice, straight line, with no bend in your wrist.

This was a problem I had on my GS years ago, and after rotating my clutch lever forward it disappeared. Since the numbness is only in your left hand, I think your problem is probably caused by the clutch lever position and not the bars in general.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Are you wearing gloves? If so, are they too tight, as in, can you see marks on your hands after you take them off? Do they have enough padding in the palm? If you're not wearing gloves, how about your jacket fit, if it's binding you under your arm pits or too tight, that could also be causing you problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    The most likely culprit in my mind.

Have the same issue on my BMW as the hand guards force you to remove the bar end
    weights. Over winter i plan to find a way to add weight to the bar ends with the bark busters fitted
    ( will probably check the sellers site first as there may be an of the shelf option ).
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone with the numbness thing. I bought a little crossbar (like the flexxbar) on the advice of the guy at Ricoland (because the snake thing and bar weights would have required them to cut into some plastic thingie inside the right handle.) I put it on just with my fingers at the store, and holy bejeezus there's a difference. The mirrors, which used to make me feel drunk they shook so much, are now motionless.

I'll try to move the clutch down a bit right now as well and go for a ride to see how it feels.

What Jav said. Likely a vibration issue.

On top of what everyone said, you may want to try Grip Puppies. Read a lot of good info about them. I ordered two sets for my bikes but haven't fitted them yet, so can't comment on effectiveness, but they sure were cheap.

I also got a Vibranator for my GS, which is basically a tuned mass damper with weighted springs that will disrupt the resonance and absorb the vibration in the handlebar, but again I haven't had the chance to fit it yet so can't comment. Not that cheap though.
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    I'm glad to know I'm not alone with the numbness thing. I bought a little crossbar (like the flexxbar) on the advice of the guy at Ricoland (because the snake thing and bar weights would have required them to cut into some plastic thingie inside the right handle.) I put it on just with my fingers at the store, and holy bejeezus there's a difference. The mirrors, which used to make me feel drunk they shook so much, are now motionless.

I'll try to move the clutch down a bit right now as well and go for a ride to see how it feels.
    You could also try grip puppies. Cheap, reportedly very effective and fit over your existing grips. Also work with grip heaters.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...grip%20puppies
    Last edited by Twinrider; 11-11-13 at 01:04 PM.

So I installed the crossbar and moved the clutch down a bit, and then I a little 50km run down to Atsugi and back, and both hands are fine. Still a bit of numbness, but I think that might be more to do with the fact that I've never driven that far before. I also went on the highway for the first time from Sagami-Aikawa to Ken-o Atsugi. I think I peed myself from fear twice, but it was fun.

I'll also pick up a pair of grip puppies for sure. Hopefully that will get rid of that last remaining vibration.

Thanks for the help (again) guys. You rock.

Glad to hear it's getting sorted.

What crossbar did you fit? Any link? Curious as it could help others who experience vibes.
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    Glad to hear it's getting sorted.

What crossbar did you fit? Any link? Curious as it could help others who experience vibes.
    This is it here.

I just got the chrome one, but there's something for everyone.