Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Numbness in hands while riding.

I have had this issue for years. I grip a bit too tight when goosing the throttle, but even when I don't I get it. I just take a hand off the bar and open and close the fist every hour or so then alternate with the other hand. every bike of different mods. Some people just have this issue. Blood pressure/circulation? I am on meds for it.

Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    What Jav said. Likely a vibration issue.

On top of what everyone said, you may want to try Grip Puppies. Read a lot of good info about them. I ordered two sets for my bikes but haven't fitted them yet, so can't comment on effectiveness, but they sure were cheap.

I also got a Vibranator for my GS, which is basically a tuned mass damper with weighted springs that will disrupt the resonance and absorb the vibration in the handlebar, but again I haven't had the chance to fit it yet so can't comment. Not that cheap though.
    Did you ever verify that the TBs were properly synched? Offer still stands regarding the Harmonizer.

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    This is it here.

I just got the chrome one, but there's something for everyone.
    I bought one of those to mount my GPS on but it didn't fit... going spare if anyone wants it.

I had the same problem when I first started riding, but in my right hand. I actually lost all feeling in the tip of my thumb and forefinger. I looked into barend weights and bought some new grips but never got round to getting the lock-tite off to install them. Then, after a lot more riding my fingers got better of their own accord and it no longer seems to be an issue. To some extent I think it's a matter of your body adjusting. Making sure you sit back in the seat and grip the tank with your legs instead of putting weight on your wrists will also help.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    Did you ever verify that the TBs were properly synched? Offer still stands regarding the Harmonizer.
    Haven't gotten around to it yet TR - hoping to sometime during the winter. Thanks, I'll definitely ping you for the Harmonizer.
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Saw this on another forum, and seems like its a good exercise;

Hands going numb?
    I just remembered I wanted to tell all you old farts about a medical breakthrough that I recently experienced. For the past years I have had a worsening of the tendency for my hands to start tingling and going numb while riding, particluarly my throttle-brake hand. It had gotten to where I could barely ride 20 minutes without having to take my hand off the grip and shake it for a bit to get things going again. I mentioned it to my doctor not long before my ride to WSBK Laguna.

As I told him, I started experiencing this during the years I raced, way back in 1985-87. I was aware that it was a common thing among racers then and that many of them had resorted to carpal tunnel surgery to alleviate this condition, and I assumed that was the only way out of this. But my doctor thought some stretches for the tendons in my arms could releive the symptoms. There were two types- one involved holding your hands together like you are praying and lifting your arms up, and on involved holding ourr fists together and pulling your arms down. I will make a video and post a demontstration if there is interest.

The results were amazing. I did the stretches for two weeks prior to my ride, and I had ZERO problems with numbness and tingling on the ride, in spite of some 400-plus mile days. I was and am pretty impressed. It was not the first time this doc has saved me from stupid surgery, either!

Quote Originally Posted by makudesu View Post
    I had the same problem when I first started riding, but in my right hand. I actually lost all feeling in the tip of my thumb and forefinger. I looked into barend weights and bought some new grips but never got round to getting the lock-tite off to install them. Then, after a lot more riding my fingers got better of their own accord and it no longer seems to be an issue. To some extent I think it's a matter of your body adjusting. Making sure you sit back in the seat and grip the tank with your legs instead of putting weight on your wrists will also help.
    I'm positive this is an issue. I only ever ride about ten kilometers a day, so I haven't had the chance to get used to riding yet. I do make sure I'm holding on at the tank though. It feels a lot safer when I ride that way.

Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    Haven't gotten around to it yet TR - hoping to sometime during the winter. Thanks, I'll definitely ping you for the Harmonizer.
    Definitely worth doing before pursuing options that cost you $$$. Only takes a few minutes.

I've use the grip puppies before and they do work, but obviously make your grips a bit thicker and if you have heated grips they will block some of the heat. One thing to keep in mind is that grip puppies don't last too long, they start with compressing down and eventually develop rips. Having said that however, based on the mega miles you put on I recon they should last you a loooong time.

Another trick to ensure you're not subconsciously gripping the bars too hard is to keep your index finger over the clutch/brake lever any time you're on a stretch of road where you're not having to constantly use the clutch and brake.
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
    I've use the grip puppies before and they do work, but obviously make your grips a bit thicker and if you have heated grips they will block some of the heat. One thing to keep in mind is that grip puppies don't last too long, they start with compressing down and eventually develop rips. Having said that however, based on the mega miles you put on I recon they should last you a loooong time.

Another trick to ensure you're not subconsciously gripping the bars too hard is to keep your index finger over the clutch/brake lever any time you're on a stretch of road where you're not having to constantly use the clutch and brake.
    I'm pretty sure pretty much everything I have will last forever. I've done the same number of kilometers in one month that you guys all do before lunch.

I went out again today, and based on the advice in this thread, I think I've worked out the kinks in how I hold the handlebars. I went into the mountains for a couple of hours of winding roads, and when I got home I had no numbness at all. (Except in my ass.)

Default Re: Numbness in hands while riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    I had no numbness at all. (Except in my ass.)
    Try ass puppies.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    Try ass puppies.
    You should trademark that. You'd make a mint.

I'm sorry I have nothing constructive to add rather than if numbness in hand continues, try seizing the moment. Pull over to the side of the road, jack off, and enjoy the strangers touch.

Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    I'm sorry I have nothing constructive to add rather than if numbness in hand continues, try seizing the moment. Pull over to the side of the road, jack off, and enjoy the strangers touch.
    eh!.. so that's what those taxi drivers are doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    Try ass puppies.
    HA!!!