Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delica going bye-bye?

Question Delica going bye-bye?

Well, after about 2 years with the Delica, it looks like it's heading to that great garage in the sky.

Brought it in to Mitsubishi for shaken. On top of the shaken/jibaiseki costs, they gave me a four-page-long computer-printed estimate for about 290,000 yen in parts and labor needed to get the car able to pass shaken, plus about another 80,000 yen worth of stuff they strongly recommend doing, but which isn't absolutely essential.

Bear in mind, this is after they charged me about 200,000 yen just two years ago when I had just bought the car and asked them to get it into tip-top shape! Two years ago, it was the timing belt, brakes and other stuff. This time, it's the camshaft end caps, brakes (again!), and other stuff. Car feels fine when I drive it, but what do I know? I didn't even know a camshaft had end caps!

The kicker is, they said the car will probably cost a similar amount every few years as stuff wears out (it's around 100,000K on the odo and 19 years old).

As much as I like the Delica, repeatedly pumping thousands of bucks into it sounds like a bad idea to me. I'm thinking of ditching it for a manual transmission car, which I prefer anyway. And my wife hates climbing up into the Delica, so she'll be happy.

What do you guys think? Is Mitsubishi trying to rip me off? Would you fix up the Delica or replace it?
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    Well, after about 2 years with the Delica, it looks like it's heading to that great garage in the sky.

Brought it in to Mitsubishi for shaken. On top of the shaken/jibaiseki costs, they gave me a four-page-long computer-printed estimate for about 290,000 yen in parts and labor needed to get the car able to pass shaken, plus about another 80,000 yen worth of stuff they strongly recommend doing, but which isn't absolutely essential.

Bear in mind, this is after they charged me about 200,000 yen just two years ago when I had just bought the car and asked them to get it into tip-top shape! Two years ago, it was the timing belt, brakes and other stuff. This time, it's the camshaft end caps, brakes (again!), and other stuff. Car feels fine when I drive it, but what do I know? I didn't even know a camshaft had end caps!

The kicker is, they said the car will probably cost a similar amount every few years as stuff wears out (it's around 100,000K on the odo and 19 years old).

As much as I like the Delica, repeatedly pumping thousands of bucks into it sounds like a bad idea to me. I'm thinking of ditching it for a manual transmission car, which I prefer anyway. And my wife hates climbing up into the Delica, so she'll be happy.

What do you guys think? Is Mitsubishi trying to rip me off? Would you fix up the Delica or replace it?
    I think they see you as an ATM machine. Japanese cars are very tough and normally can be driven huge miles without major repairs, and if yours had major problems you'd likely know it. Take it through user shaken, 1 hour from start to finish at a cost of around 80,000 (depending on your engine size, mine is 2499cc).

Fwiw, the brakes on my Bongo have only been replaced once up front since I got it 50,000 km ago and never in back. Brake pads last a long time on cars, especially with the mileage we drive in Japan. If yours are really shot, the shaken inspectors will tell you. Doubt they will say boo.

Agreed, I would change the brakes and look for any leaks or tire tread wear and thats about it. I think they are taking you for a ride.
    Bit of advice, Never create a forum account and screen name after drinking heavily and imagining stupid shit you would like to do before you die.

I reckon they are BSing about the brakes. The pads should be visible on disc brakes and also they start squealing when they are getting near replacement time, that's a safety feature built into the pads.

I'd just take it through shaken if it were my car and look for a more honest shop for future work.

Default Delica going bye-bye?

This is a typical stealership move. Weather it a bike or car they think people will just pay no question. It's the mentality.
    I agre with the other comments I'd replace the brakes you can so it yourself and do the shaken yourself
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

Thanks guys. I called them back and told them they can either do the shaken and only the shaken, or I take the car back and they never see me or my money again.

Miraculously, they are now going to take a day to rethink the situation and call me back. Will let you know how it goes...
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

if you dont want to do user shaken, just take it to autobacs and have them do a cheap shaken!

Quote Originally Posted by haildamage View Post
    if you dont want to do user shaken, just take it to autobacs and have them do a cheap shaken!
    Yup, there are places that have set prices and they'll just take it through for a predetermined fee. And it's also dead easy to do user-shaken on cars. Only takes an hour and they practically hold your hand through the whole procedure.

Just for the record, the dealer is saying that the car as-is won't pass shaken, because there is oil and water leaking from parts on the underside (true), and also because there's some kind of problem with something around where the gear shift lever comes out of the steering column, and maybe other stuff too.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Just for the record, the dealer is saying that the car as-is won't pass shaken, because there is oil and water leaking from parts on the underside (true), and also because there's some kind of problem with something around where the gear shift lever comes out of the steering column, and maybe other stuff too.
    If they're already BSing you I wouldn't take them at their word, I'd get a second opinion from a place like Autobacs in the form of a shaken estimate. I don't know about the oil but water will usually drip from the bottom of cars when they are idling in place for a while. Totally normal. Also, I've never had any shaken inspector look inside my car at the shift lever. More BS.

Of course I don't take them at their word. I'm just telling you what they said.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

A leak can be an issue, the workaround on that is, if it is just a slow seep and not dripping away, power spray or steam clean the area before you go. I had a problem with my gear shifter not having a shift pattern on it, I thoufgt they were joking, ended up drawing it on some tape and sticking it to the knob and it was good to go.
    Bit of advice, Never create a forum account and screen name after drinking heavily and imagining stupid shit you would like to do before you die.

Good.

Local gas stations often will do shaken for a small fee, no repairs included. I used to do it that way before I found it was so easy to do user shaken. Only paid them extra to aim the headlights.

The car should not cost 200,000+ per year. Even with 100,000kms on it. There are many Delica's in
    OZ with double that and the average is about 120,000kms and they are used on much rougher roads.

If you want to learn how to change the brake pads yourself, buy the pads ( front and rear ) and drop out.
    Will change and show you how to do, for 20,000en ( would take maybe 4hrs ). If you inspect first, you may
    find that only the front or rear need doing, not both.

With the engine leak, as PKF pointed out, just clean before shaken. Also, worth getting a light and camera and
    looking for where the leak is coming from. Grab a few shots and ask questions. Might be an idea to list up what
    Mitsubishi actually think needs doing.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

I doubt there is even a leak. They probably pointed under the car after it had been idling for a few minutes and said "see." They sound like shysters, I wouldn't give them the time of day.

Now if there were continually fresh stains under the car where it's regularly parked, even when not in use, that's a different story.

I like Jav's offer on the brakes, but inspect first because I doubt very much you'd need new pads again. Pads are easy to check.

Default Re: Delica going bye-bye?

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    I doubt there is even a leak. They probably pointed under the car after it had been idling for a few minutes and said "see." They sound like shysters, I wouldn't give them the time of day.

Now if there were continually fresh stains under the car where it's regularly parked, even when not in use, that's a different story.
    There is definitely some kind of leak. There's a big dark wet spot in my garage under where the engine is when I park it. Thought it was just water, but it could be oil too since it's pretty dark, more than what water alone would look like, I think.

On the brakes, I think they are saying it needs some kind of adjustment, not a pad change. Will try to post up the list of stuff they want to do, but it's four pages of Japanese so give me some time...
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

OK, if you've confirmed the leak in that fashion that's a different story. Swipe the spot with you finger and see if you end up with brown oily residue on your finger. Then you just have to determine where the leak is. Check your engine oil level regularly, if it's not dropping than the leak is very minor and nothing to worry about (assuming it is the engine and not the transmission fluid leaking). You could jack up the car and just slide under and have a look yourself. Costco sells nice floor jacks for cheap.

Ask around, you can probably find a better shop. When I first got my Bongo I used one Mazda dealer in Ota-ku and they turned out to be crap. So I found another one down the road in Gotanda that was much better. Then I moved so when I had an engine issue I dropped by a local place in Yokohama. The mechanic couldn't figure out the problem and was recommending more expensive diagnosis. So I went back to the old shop in Gotanda. They figured it out in no time and fixed it for a very reasonable price.

Well, I think these guys know their stuff, and they say they know what is causing the leak. I think it's more a question of, does all the stuff they are recommending really need to be done just to get the car through shaken? Or are they recommending stuff that is a good idea, but you could probably get through shaken without it?
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

I think the short answer would be no, the stuff doesn't need to be done to pass shaken. All the shaken place cares about is that you have good rubber, brakes work, nothing's loose under the car (they go under and bang stuff with a hammer and turn the wheels), and that all the lights and horn work, and you pass emissions. Very similar to bike shaken. As has been mentioned, give the car a quick wash, including underneath (power washer would work well, again Costco) and you'd likely be good to go.

I don't doubt they know their stuff. I just get the feeling they are trying to sell you work that doesn't need to be done. My Bongo has cost me next to nothing in 8 years of ownership in terms of repairs and maintenance, basically a new distributor cap and wires (that was the motor problem). I can't imagine why your Delica ownership should be that costly. That's why I would try a different shop. Just my $0.02.

Fwiw, I also only used the Mazda shop for repairs, for oil changes and other routine maintenance I just went to Autobacs. Cheap and efficient, and they don't try to sell you extra "fixes."

Well, I think these guys know their stuff, and they say they know what is causing the leak. I think it's more a question of, does all the stuff they are recommending really need to be done just to get the car through shaken? Or are they recommending stuff that is a good idea, but you could probably get through shaken without it?
    I get mine done through one of the big chain stores. They show me everything that they want to do, and show me what values are required to pass the shaken. Maybe you could just ask them for an actual list of the standards?