Thread: Researchers: The more sugar you eat, the more you want to eat

Default Researchers: The more sugar you eat, the more you want to eat

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/1...ar-trumps-fat/

Sounds a lot like what George Carlin said about how cocaine makes you feel: "It makes you feel like having more cocaine."

I am absolutely convinced that sugar is an addictive drug. It may be a lot weaker than illegal hard drugs, but that's just a difference of degree.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

100% agree!

The most lethal combination is 50% fat and 50% carbohydrates, its the most delicious combination and you still feel hungry. Anyone for a doughnut! Eating either only a high carbohydrate or high fat diet you will satiate your appetite, 50/50 wont.

A lot of very sugary drinks contain addictive substances such as caffeine, and not just the obvious ones like cola. There are obscene amounts of sugar in them, can you imagine putting 25 teaspoons of sugar in your tea or coffee!
    If you do stupid things...
    ...Stupid things will happen

Fukaya-shi, 50 km north from Tokyo, on JR Takasaki line

I'm discovering this post and maybe my personal experience about sugar could interest someone :

Since the age of eighteen (and I'm 52 nowadays), I have a back weakness. Because of that, I never could afford to be fat without "paying the bill" with pain and even disabilities. So, at the age of 24, tired to suffer, I started a severe diet.
    It was a "classical" diet, meaning that I just strongly reduced the quantity of food I was eating. I didn't really care about WHAT I swallowed, I just verified that my daily amount of calories was low : typically, between 1000 and 1500 per day.
    It worked, very well ! In some months, I lost 18 kilos, from 82 to 64. As concerns my back, the result has been impressive : the weakness didn't just disappeared, but the pain did. Keeping in mind I had a delicate back, I could nevertheless make some soft sport, like running or swimming, without restriction.
    That kind of diet is efficient, but really unpleasant : you're always hungry, you're starving ! So, when I reached 64 kilos, I decided to stop. Of course, kilos started to come back...
    I realized that if I was going to eat as before, my "natural" weight - the weight I have if I eat just what I want, when I want - would quickly come back. So I studied the various existing diets, and I chose the one I thought I could afford all my life : the one without sugar.
    So, I eat the less sugar I can. No soft drinks, no bread, a very little bit of potatoes or rice (and other starchy vegetables), a few fruits, no ice creams and globally, no desserts. Happily, the things I like the most (meat, fish, green vegetables, cheese, wine, even beer) contain a low part of sugar. Happily again, the traditional Japanese food is very poor in sugar, if you don't take rice. The good point of that kind of diet is : you can eat a lot, it doesn't matter ! You're not starving.
    I do that since 25 years. Because I don't eat often fruits, I take vitamins. My weight is 66 : I have taken one kilo... My back is still weak, sometimes I have difficulties to put my shoes (well, riding doesn't help !), but it's ok. I can't imagine how I would live if I was over 80 kilos again... in a chair, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Saitama View Post
    So, I eat the less sugar I can. ... no bread ...
    Not much sugar in bread unless you're talking about cheap store bought white bread crap. Take a look at more whole grain breads, like rye and whole wheat, for very low sugar content. To make one loaf, I use about 5 grams of sugar. The sugar is necessary to activate the yeast culture and is consumed by the yeast. True sourdough bread is sugar free, and extremely healthy. Sure there's a lot of simple carbohydrates but ...

Quote Originally Posted by Saitama View Post
    Happily, the things I like the most (... even beer) contain a low part of sugar.
    Beer contains a huge amount of simple carbohydrates. About the same as seven slices of bread in one 350ml can of beer.

I'm a huge proponent of sourdough breads and it's really unfortunate that it's so difficult to find here in Japan.

Fukaya-shi, 50 km north from Tokyo, on JR Takasaki line

Beer contains a huge amount of simple carbohydrates. About the same as seven slices of bread in one 350ml can of beer.
    I should have said that I drink one beer a day max, and 135 ml can (the Asahi "super dry" blond, if you know). It gives me around 5 - 6 g of sugar, far from the total amount I can afford. By the way, it's 4:00 pm, good time to drink one !