Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Open street maps on garmin units

Question about this OSM (OpenStreetMap) concept....

i have a Zumo660, and have been using it for years both in Japan (mainly) and in the US yearly. i have both Japan maps and 48 US states on it. To date, i have been sending it to Iiyonet in Saitama for updates, and want to stop doing so for obvious reasons. Don't wanna rag on Garmin too much for trying to feed their employees. Has anyone had any luck with the OpenStreetMap for Garmin devices, i.e., free maps for their devices that can be downloaded through an online source? This is a concern for 2 reasons:
    1) because just for me to update my Zumo, i need to spend about 40,000, and i'm tired of the raping every time i need an update. So, i'm thinking about using the OSMs going forward; and
    2) i don't want to negatively affect how the Zumo functions by putting a different map on there. i don't want to break it.

My questions for those who have used OSMs in their Garmins are:

1) merits
    2) demerits
    3) does the verbal guidance work in both languages?
    4) how's the Japanese (text, sound, addresses, etc)
    5) is it easy to update
    6) does it work well with BaseCamp
    7) Any issues with the English at all
    7) if there's a resource available somewhere, point me in the right direction please and we can skip answering the above.

Thanks. Welcome any/all responses.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    1) merits
    2) demerits
    3) does the verbal guidance work in both languages?
    4) how's the Japanese (text, sound, addresses, etc)
    5) is it easy to update
    6) does it work well with BaseCamp
    7) Any issues with the English at all
    8) if there's a resource available somewhere, point me in the right direction please and we can skip answering the above.
    I have been using OSM in my Garmin Zumo 550 for many years. Most of your questions have been answered in this thread, but:

1) Merits are that it's free and more frequently updated than iiyo nets version of the maps. You don't have to delete, remove, or alter in any way your iiyo net map, so you can use whichever map is most convenient. If things aren't working right with OSM, just remove the SD card with the map on it and carry on as if nothing ever changed.
    2) Searching by phone number is hit or miss (mostly miss). You can counteract this by keeping searching for a place and marking it with your iiyo net map, and switch to the OSM to create your route.
    3) Verbal guidance comes from Garmin, not OSM, so you get the same level of verbal guidance as you do with the iiyo net maps.
    4) OSM come in various languages including English (romaji), Chinese, and of course Japanese depending on which you download.
    5) Super easy. Just change the OSM file name from gmapsup.img to gmapsup2.img and put in a folder labeled GARMIN on an SD card and stick the SD card in your Zumo.
    6) Yes, it works with BaseCamp.
    7) The romaji place names are input by humans and sometimes have mistakes. When in doubt, double check with google maps or your iiyo net map first.
    8) The resource you're looking for was linked on the first page of this thread here. It's here: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/..._onto_your_GPS

The best pre-compiled OSM I've found that's available for Japan is here: http://tmz.skr.jp/data/gmap.html (you want the most recent map listed under 等高線なし).

Thanks for the quick turnaround. Seems i can breath new life into my Zumo 550 going forward, but i'm going to keep on using the 660. Also seems you may be the only avid OSM user on GR.

3 more questions -

1) What issues, if any, have you run into regarding the accuracy of updates.
    2) I only use it Japanese mode. Have you had any issues with the display of Kanji and Kana while navigating? i'm assuming no issues with the English data in the map, i.e., the English is correct and without spelling errors.
    3) You haven't bought an update from Iiyonet since you started using OSM?

That should do it for me. i appreciate the help.
    Chris
    Last edited by Chris; 08-06-18 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Added a final Q

Thanks for the quick turnaround. Seems i can breath new life into my Zumo 550 going forward, but i'm going to keep on using the 660.
    OSM works equally well (argably better) on a 660. Just put the OSM (download the file from the tmz site I linked above) on an SD card as detailed above, and stick it in your 660. It changes nothing on the device, just adds a map option in Settings > Maps > Map info. Once you put the OSM on the SD card, you can simply toggle between either map. There is zero risk in trying OSM on your 660.

Also seems you may be the only avid OSM user on GR.
    Not sure about that. What's more likely is that I'm one of a few GR members to regularly check this site. Most have moved to facebook.

1) What issues, if any, have you run into regarding the accuracy of updates.
    2) I only use it Japanese mode. Have you had any issues with the display of Kanji and Kana while navigating? i'm assuming no issues with the English data in the map, i.e., the English is correct and without spelling errors.
    3) You haven't bought an update from Iiyonet since you started using OSM?
    1) I had an issue where the base map underlay was interfering with the OSM and causing routing errors. This error was exclusive to the 550. 660 users did not have this problem. I sent an email to the map maintainer and he sent me a corrected file within minutes.
    2) I use both Japanese and English. While I am capable of using it in full Japanese, it's easier for me to have the device menus in English. My audio directions are in Japanese. In my experience, errors (of all kinds) on OSM were as frequent as errors in iiyo net maps.
    3) I have not bought any iiyo map updates in the last 4 years.

Edit to add one more thing about errors. Since the maps are open source, you can actually supply updates to and correct map data yourself if you are so inclined.

All good stuff. Thank you for getting back. i'm going to proceed with OSM and see what happens. Some of it scares me, but i'm good with experimentation as long as i don't void my warranty on the 660. Glad you're on here.

Regarding my 550.... the way i see it, i've basically just found another way to revive it for free if i'm willing to put up with the OSM quirks. Any advice for not going OSM on the 550? It seems to work for you, but you're seasoned now. Garmin doesn't support it anymore.

So, i proceeded and can't do address searches in either J or E, so i have a question in at the support site. Oh well, i tried. Now i have to switch back to the authentic Garmin map until this problem is solved.

So, i proceeded and can't do address searches in either J or E, so i have a question in at the support site. Oh well, i tried. Now i have to switch back to the authentic Garmin map until this problem is solved.
    Search your location with the iiyo net map, once found, switch to OSM. That's my solution. Google maps also helps.

Thanks Mate. So let me ask, are you saying lock in the address by hitting Go and making the Zumo commit to the address, and once the route is determined, then switch maps and then let it reconcile based on the new map data? If so, i didn't know i could switch maps with a pink line in memory Or, would you mean something else?

Saw this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074XM8RZG...0668520_dpLink

Not sure it'll work, but it's got a money back guarantee which is nice. i may try it. Would be good to avoid being forced to go to Iiyonet for the latest map data.

Thanks Mate. So let me ask, are you saying lock in the address by hitting Go and making the Zumo commit to the address, and once the route is determined, then switch maps and then let it reconcile based on the new map data? If so, i didn't know i could switch maps with a pink line in memory Or, would you mean something else?
    You can do that, yes. Then select the "recalculate" option. Or, you can search for the location and save it. Switch to the OSM map, and select your destination from your saved locations either in "favorites" or "recently found".

In the download, there is another file called gmapsupp_search.img ... did you include that in the GARMIN directory along with the gmapsupp.img file?
    Last edited by dmizer; 09-06-18 at 08:49 AM.

Yes that's in the folder as well. i just ordered the map from the link above. $40 beats hell out of $400. i need so many updates to my maps that Iiyonet would hug me for doing business with them if i were to buy the update. This map stuff is a racket of the highest order. Gonna use it today when i go to Saitama on an errand, and will check out the approach that you stated above ( switching maps after getting the pink route line ). Gotta leave early enough to compensate for the time messing with the navi. Stay tuned.

Default Open street maps on garmin units

I'd be interested to hear how those maps work. My current maps are about 5-6 years old
    Been thinking about updates.
    Keep us posted👍
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

OK so back to this racket of the highest order...., after choosing a route created online and ported to the Zumo, i let it resolve to 100% and then changed to the OSM and the Zumo automatically recalculated and showed me the route with the latest roads in the OSM. That was exciting to see!! Then i tried (but couldn't) search addresses in either E or J. It just goes back to the icon menu after choosing 東京。 That sucks, but what sucks more is that i would never be able to search what's in that OSM. Not sure how long i could survive without the many 1000s of text updates in the latest map. i'm thinking not long. So that's a concern at this point. After switching back to the stock map, i could search freely.

i'll have another update to this thread after i get the upgrade i just ordered in the link above. So, stay tuned......

Okay this is the perfect thread. Dmizer thanks for pointing me here. I have already found OSM and that amazon maps that Chris pointed out. I hope he is still around. I am curious to hear how those worked out. They are sold out. And they only sell through amazon. I found their email but they are out of the office till July. I went ahead and ordered a Zumo 396 (newest model). I have a few questions if you don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    I have been using OSM in my Garmin Zumo 550 for many years. Most of your questions have been answered in this thread, but:

4) OSM come in various languages including English (romaji), Chinese, and of course Japanese depending on which you download.

6) Yes, it works with BaseCamp.

The best pre-compiled OSM I've found that's available for Japan is here: http://tmz.skr.jp/data/gmap.html (you want the most recent map listed under 等高線なし).
    4: Where do you get Japanese maps? Like you I am fine with either. I downloaded from Open Street Map. Its Japanese on the web version. Then when I load that map into basecamp (set to JP or ENG) its all horrible auto translated English.

6. The bad English map from OSM comes in an exe that loads into basecamp. But I also found the Manually translated maps from TMZ. They are only img files and wont load into base camp like that. I found GPSMAPedit which is suppose to load img map files but it gives me an error with the TMZ.

As linked above, the correctly compiled map can be found here: http://tmz.skr.jp/data/gmap.html

The direct link is here: http://tmz.skr.jp/data/gmap/gmapsupp_180612.zip

Naturally, the file name will change as it's updated.

I mean, Japan maps in Japaense. I have that file you linked to already and I think its English, no? I don't have my GPS yet and can not load it. Its just an img file and don't know how to open in it basecamp.

Quote Originally Posted by inaka_rob View Post
    I don't have my GPS yet and can not load it. Its just an img file and don't know how to open in it basecamp.
    Just stick the map on an SD card in a folder titled GARMIN, and basecamp will automatically see it. Unfortunately, the link has place names in romaji. I haven't been bothered enough by it to see what I can do about getting a map that displays Japanese correctly.

dmizer (or anyone)

Finaly got my Zumo. OSM map installed on the SD card. Went into settings and sected it. Not showing up. It seems only the base map is showing, meaning no detail but a few major roads.
    Anyideas.
    When I look at basecamp all the detail shows up fine. On the zumo nothing.
    Its the 396. New model. I hope they didnt disable OSM maps somehow. There is no basemap file on this zumo that I can replace or delte. It seems to be hidden in the firmware somehow.

Anyideas? I really hope this isn't a 400$ paper weight.

Quote Originally Posted by inaka_rob View Post
    dmizer (or anyone)

Finaly got my Zumo. OSM map installed on the SD card. Went into settings and sected it. Not showing up. It seems only the base map is showing, meaning no detail but a few major roads.
    Anyideas.
    When I look at basecamp all the detail shows up fine. On the zumo nothing.
    Its the 396. New model. I hope they didnt disable OSM maps somehow. There is no basemap file on this zumo that I can replace or delte. It seems to be hidden in the firmware somehow.

Anyideas? I really hope this isn't a 400$ paper weight.
    Did you use "mapinstall" to load the map onto your 396? If that doesn't work, you may be out of luck until the OSM group comes up with a solution.

I finnaly got it to work.
    For what ever reason the two differnt ones I tried from TMZ will not show on the 396.

Then I went to the osm website to download the custom maps. I tried the installer. It seemed to be working... The map installer said it would be installing 900mb map size to gamrin. I tried regualr install, custom install. Kept saying 900mb. Only 20mb was being transferred.
    Just for kicks I just copied the img filed from that custom map map manually and it worked!
    No idea why. Don't care. I have a freaking road map for my new GPS. Now I am am ganna do some exploring!

Cheers for the help.

Also I ordered those maps from Amazon to try out also, they will be here in 2 weeks. I will try to remember to come back and comment when I get them.