Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open street maps on garmin units

Default Open street maps on garmin units

I recently bought a used Zumo 550 on Yahoo auctions for cheap. I was pleased because it's the Honda branded version designed specifically for my bike. However, the maps that came with the thing were low resolution and very outdated. I was hesitant to shell out the cash for updated maps due to posts on here related to the high cost of updating maps.

I did some googling to see if it would be possible to upload maps from google earth or the like, and ran across the OSM (open street map) project here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Main_Page

The wiki has a lot of information about the OSM project which in itself is interesting. But while browsing around there, I ran into this: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin which details how to upload an OSM map onto your garmin device.

Cut to chase: I now have a free, fully updated map functioning on my Zumo.

Does the map you're using support route finding? In other words, can you set a destination and the Zumo will calculate and show you a route to it?
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

And can you set the destination by inputting an address or using a phone number?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    Does the map you're using support route finding? In other words, can you set a destination and the Zumo will calculate and show you a route to it?
    Yeah, no problem setting a destination and calculating a route.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    And can you set the destination by inputting an address or using a phone number?
    Some phone numbers work, and some do not. Most car related shops are in the database, but my local Red Baron is not. Routing by address works fine, but routing by business name is hit or miss, and you need to have your locale set to Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    I recently bought a used Zumo 550 on Yahoo auctions for cheap.
    How much, if you don't mind my asking? Just to get an idea on what a good deal is.
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    How much, if you don't mind my asking? Just to get an idea on what a good deal is.
    I got mine for about 20000. It came with the mounting kit specific to my bike, and all the manuals. I have seen them for less. It did not come with a battery pack, so I have to reload everything when I turn the bike off, but now that I have current maps, I am happy with the purchase.

You can get a replacement battery, or you could wire the Zumo to run off the bike's battery even when you shut off the engine, until you turn off the Zumo.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Does the Zumo 550 need to be a JP unit to support Japanese characters of OpenStreetMap, just like the Garmin maps?
    ----------------

Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    Does the Zumo 550 need to be a JP unit to support Japanese characters of OpenStreetMap, just like the Garmin maps?
    You can add Japanese support. I added English support to mine. There are several OSM versions. Some of which have romaji support for place names.

Does OSM on Garmin device work better than google maps on phone?

Quote Originally Posted by emishas View Post
    Does OSM on Garmin device work better than google maps on phone?
    Since Garmin supports route planning for trips where you want to go down specific roads and go to specific places, yes. If all you ever need is A -> B fastest route, then google maps on a phone is probably sufficient.

It is helpful to have an immediately visible, quick reference map visible while you ride, but I don't know if it's worth the investment just for that.

Been looking at OSM and it's a pretty cool project. Too bad it's not supported on Japanese devices like Yupiteru etc.
    ----------------

You can add Japanese support. I added English support to mine. There are several OSM versions. Some of which have romaji support for place names.
    Can you upload some pictures of your device working with the new maps?

Quote Originally Posted by J J View Post
    Sure can. Anything in particular you'd like to see?

Sure can. Anything in particular you'd like to see?
    Nothing special... I have a Zumo 660 and want to compare the new interface with the original one... :)

Here you go: http://imgur.com/a/HmMyW

Thanks a lot!

Thanks a lot!
    No problem, keep in mind that you can use the OSM maps on your 660 as well. Just load it onto an SD card and off you go. You may have to connect your 660 to mapsource before it works though. Also, you don't have to replace your old maps with the new maps, you can switch between them.

No problem, keep in mind that you can use the OSM maps on your 660 as well. Just load it onto an SD card and off you go. You may have to connect your 660 to mapsource before it works though. Also, you don't have to replace your old maps with the new maps, you can switch between them.
    Really? This gets more and more interesting! To be true, my maps are from 2011 and the Shin Tomei not appear there. Upgrade the maps is something I can not afford now because Im broke, but I was a bit worried about erase the current ones. If I can switch between them, then no problem! I will try to find the way myself. If I am not successful I will ask your advice.

Really? This gets more and more interesting! To be true, my maps are from 2011 and the Shin Tomei not appear there. Upgrade the maps is something I can not afford now because Im broke, but I was a bit worried about erase the current ones. If I can switch between them, then no problem! I will try to find the way myself. If I am not successful I will ask your advice.
    Added these images to the album, but linking them here.

Go to settings -> Maps -> Map Info, and you can see both the City Navigator, and the OSM maps are selectable.

Here's another image with the outdated City Navigator map showing no Shin Tomei.