Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Open street maps on garmin units

Quote Originally Posted by inaka_rob View Post
    Also I ordered those maps from Amazon to try out also, they will be here in 2 weeks. I will try to remember to come back and comment when I get them.
    Please do. It would be nice to have more search function on my Zumo.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    1) because just for me to update my Zumo, i need to spend about 40,000, and i'm tired of the raping every time i need an update.
    40,000yen??? You did get raped. I had my BMW Motorrad IV updated last year at Iiyonet and it cost 16,000yen. Same price a few years before that when I updated my Roadtech Zumo 660. I've heard that they have since lowered their price now to 15,000yen. Did you send it in yourself or let a dealer do it for you?

No no, i didn't spend that money. It was based on conjecture from one of the staff at the place, Iiyonet i believe, that would get my unit by mail and upgrade the map for me. If they have lowered their price, i'm amenable to such a price assuming:

1) the text updates are search-able,
    2) both J & E display correctly,
    3) all of what i need will be in the new map,

Sounds like it may be worth a phone call to Iiyonet again.
    Last edited by Chris; 09-07-18 at 05:27 PM. Reason: small changes

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Saw this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074XM8RZG...0668520_dpLink

Not sure it'll work, but it's got a money back guarantee which is nice. i may try it. Would be good to avoid being forced to go to Iiyonet for the latest map data.
    OK so i did this. Took it for a spin around Doushimich after some righteous camping with the girl. I can say it's very close to what's in the OSM map, and might be based on it. When i was near the lakes below Doushimichi, even in Japanese display, the names of the lakes displayed in romanized Korean and i gave up right there. i'm returning the chip this week, and the seller on Amazon agreed to refund the purchase upon receipt of the chip.
    I noticed that the display speed was faster than the OSM i got of the web.