Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Open street maps on garmin units

Quote Originally Posted by inaka_rob View Post
    Also I ordered those maps from Amazon to try out also, they will be here in 2 weeks. I will try to remember to come back and comment when I get them.
    Please do. It would be nice to have more search function on my Zumo.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    1) because just for me to update my Zumo, i need to spend about 40,000, and i'm tired of the raping every time i need an update.
    40,000yen??? You did get raped. I had my BMW Motorrad IV updated last year at Iiyonet and it cost 16,000yen. Same price a few years before that when I updated my Roadtech Zumo 660. I've heard that they have since lowered their price now to 15,000yen. Did you send it in yourself or let a dealer do it for you?

No no, i didn't spend that money. It was based on conjecture from one of the staff at the place, Iiyonet i believe, that would get my unit by mail and upgrade the map for me. If they have lowered their price, i'm amenable to such a price assuming:

1) the text updates are search-able,
    2) both J & E display correctly,
    3) all of what i need will be in the new map,

Sounds like it may be worth a phone call to Iiyonet again.
    Last edited by Chris; 09-07-18 at 06:27 PM. Reason: small changes

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Saw this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074XM8RZG...0668520_dpLink

Not sure it'll work, but it's got a money back guarantee which is nice. i may try it. Would be good to avoid being forced to go to Iiyonet for the latest map data.
    OK so i did this. Took it for a spin around Doushimich after some righteous camping with the girl. I can say it's very close to what's in the OSM map, and might be based on it. When i was near the lakes below Doushimichi, even in Japanese display, the names of the lakes displayed in romanized Korean and i gave up right there. i'm returning the chip this week, and the seller on Amazon agreed to refund the purchase upon receipt of the chip.
    I noticed that the display speed was faster than the OSM i got of the web.

Also I ordered those maps from Amazon to try out also, they will be here in 2 weeks. I will try to remember to come back and comment when I get them.
    I got those maps from Amazon. They work... but they are a total scam. They are 100% pulled from the OSM website. The Amazon page is now gone. But when it was up it showed Maps of Japan in ENGLISH. The maps they sent were the OSM maps which auto generates Chinese-English.

I downloaded, and looed at free IMG file maps, never installed them, absolute shit.

Through another update my 550 files were corrupted, after a nicy nice phone call went into Garmin Jpn they reinstalled and updated them on the spot, 30 min wait. I think the the same Takyubin service is 13,000?

Use a non Mapsouce, Basecamp planner, and upload as you need. Keep your 550 uncluttered and as route free as possible, carry an SD card with the rts backed up

I got those maps from Amazon. They work... but they are a total scam. They are 100% pulled from the OSM website. The Amazon page is now gone. But when it was up it showed Maps of Japan in ENGLISH. The maps they sent were the OSM maps which auto generates Chinese-English.
    I wondered. I've seen more than a few RTW travelers running around with that exact same set of maps.

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    I recently bought a used Zumo 550 on Yahoo auctions for cheap. I was pleased because it's the Honda branded version designed specifically for my bike. However, the maps that came with the thing were low resolution and very outdated. I was hesitant to shell out the cash for updated maps due to posts on here related to the high cost of updating maps.

I did some googling to see if it would be possible to upload maps from google earth or the like, and ran across the OSM (open street map) project here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Main_Page

The wiki has a lot of information about the OSM project which in itself is interesting. But while browsing around there, I ran into this: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin which details how to upload an OSM map onto your garmin device.

Cut to chase: I now have a free, fully updated map functioning on my Zumo.
    This seems like a good place to post this. I have a 2016 BMW F800GS. I want to get a GPS unit for the bike. Are there any recommended models? Any to stay away from? Are there any with English? Can I get GPS and ETC in one unit?

Thankful for all input,

jerry

Default Open street maps on garmin units

Garmin make great units the 550 or 660 both can be put in English, there are many others those seem to be most popular. I use the Garmin nuvi3570 in English works great.
    GOS and ETC in one unit no. 2 seperate units.
    Others may chime in.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph