Thread: Thoughts on Yamaha TDR250 & DT230 Lanza

Talking Thoughts on Yamaha TDR250 & DT230 Lanza

Just wondering if anyone here has an experience with either one of these 2-strokers as a DP bike?

Yamaha TDR250 2-Stroke
    http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...dr250%2087.htm

Yamaha DT230 Lanza
    http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...dt230%2000.htm

Appreciate your thoughts!

The DT is a proper off road bike whereas the TDR is a weapon of mass destruction designed by some nut job (who should get a medal for it).

Twinrider has a penchant for the DT250. I believe they have electric start and decent power.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

I've never ridden the Lanza but I've always been interested in it. Electric start with a kick option, traction control, 40hp and 3.7 kgm torque. Since they were made til the early 2000s parts availability should be good. Review here http://www.cycletorque.com.au/yamaha-dt230-lanza-1999/

No idea about the TDR but I think Doug summed it up well. I would imagine parts availability might be an issue. Cool bike though.

I've had my TDR for about 8 years now. I love it. That said, it's more of a road bike, squishy suspension and heavy. The engine is brilliant if you are used to two strokes, but I've had mine rebored, new pistons, new crankshaft and bearings etc etc, basically restored to new condition. The carbs also had problems, the inner sleeve for the needle and needle had to be replaced. Apparently due to the vibration, the needle wears the sleeve down. Parts have not been an issue. I still have problems on rainy days, one of the cylinders conks out if it gets wet, still haven't been able to track down the cause.
    If you need a bike that you can consistently rely on and is relatively easy upkeep, don't get one. If you don't mind the extra work, and carrying around a few tools, it is one of the best bikes I've ridden for twisty JP roads which throw bumps, dirt, leaves and junk in your way. Oh, and it goes really fast too. Hope this helps you out! :)
    Forgot to mention, the TDR loves to burn 2 stroke oil, you will look and smell like it most of the time, prepare to be ostracized and sent to the rear of the pack if you are riding in a group.
    This bike is going to be as black as the inside of a coal miner's black cloak on a moonless night. On a lunar eclipse. Underground.

Thanks for all the interesting replies!

I'm have had my lovely WR250R for a while now, it's an awesome bike that does everything well but I guess my heart keeps going back to sneak at the DT230 every once in a while on goobike and the auctions.
    It's one of those that you know you have to try, even for a day or else the though will never go away.

I have been eyeing the TDR250 for a while too but I guess I don't really want to get my hands that dirty that often, and definitely not smelling like 2T oil.
    Thanks NNW for giving me a first hand account of maintaining a TDR!

That said, I am still very keen to test ride a DT230. They're impossible to find on the rental system, but if anyone has one or know someone who has one, I don't mind renting it for a day or a couple of hours...
    Twinrider, you still keen to get one? Btw, I saw your Djebel parked at YSP the other day and apparently you're a famous gaijin they told me lol!

I would also love to have a go on one to see what it's like. Maybe after that I'd consider buying one if I liked it. I owned a CRM250 for a while and found that 2-smokes in good shape don't smoke much once warmed up. And the better grade 2-smoke oil smells nice...

The YSP manager mentioned you had been there, great shop.

those bikes look like a lot of fun!

one issue to consider with using 2 strokes as touring bikes is range. they tend to be thirsty and that can mean a relatively short range. when you are out in the back country riding rindos on a sunday or holiday, it can be hard to find an open gas station sometimes.

The TDR is an absolutely awesome bike!! Ive had 3 and I loved every minute of owning them. The biggest problem is that they make you ride like a complete lunatic!! I sold each of them because I knew I was going to have an accident the way it made me ride around town. Sold the 1st, waited 5 years, thought im older and more sensible now, I was worse. Same with number 3. I never had any issues with reliability. The TZR lump is pretty strong. Just use decent oil. I guess getting hold of plastics is probably getting hard now. I sold my last one 7 years ago now but id love another if i could find one i could afford. Im hoping if I get another, being 45 now I may be more sensible but I know that riding position, powerband and noise will take over my brain within a few minutes!! Enjoy!!

I used to have a standard TDR250. Found the brakes lacking and suspension rubbish, spokes corroded, etc. Engine was pretty good though...
    So I stripped it down, fitted a CRF250 u/d front end, TZR swing arm and had motard wheels made for it for fitting stickier tyres (Bridgestone S20's fitted).
    Front is now a Braketech iron rotor with Discacciati 4 piston caliper.
    Bought a spare engine and sent the barrels & head off to Mick Abbey in UK for tuning and have some Jim Lomas stainless spannies & carbon exhausts for it, mapable CDI, etc.
    That should give somewhere around 60 ps.
    Now awaiting return of MA tuned engine parts, shortened forks with replacement cartridges & new remote reservoir shock by Maxton which will arrive sometime this week.
    Just bought a frame with papers yesterday, so I can weld the bits needed onto it then have it powder coated in a dark silver / grey colour...as well as the swing arm (bright Silver) then fit bits to it as the build continues.
    I have a long list of nice parts waiting to go on it incl. a Duke III headlight & front cowl, lots of carbon, digital dash, etc. replacement Defi temp gauge for the bonkers tacho, etc.
    Once it's all assembled and working, I'll strip off the body parts to have them painted. Not decided on colour for sure yet. Will see when it's in one piece...
    Won't look at all like a TDR250 when it's finished - will be a modern looking bike, more a motard, but will go, brake & handle a lot better than the original.
    Might just put a couple of Yamaha emblems on the tank and leave it at that, to keep people guessing.
    I really don't care if I smell like 2-stroke oil after riding it for a while. It's the only way to get decent power from a 250 bike that won't need shaken.
    Besides, I like the smell and my wife won't mind as long as I have a shower.

Here's a pic taken after a few hour's work stripping off the original parts & test fitting the new front end, wheels & front brake before taking it off to send off.
    Took a while to get here, as a new stem had to be made to work with this triple in the TDR headstock.
    Will be another 6-12 months by the time it's finished, but should be a hoot to ride when it's done.
    Plan is to carry the finished bike on the back of our camper van, so we have something to go shopping on when supplies are needed, or to do a bit of exploring with.

If you can find a nice TDR250, get one. It's possible to find examples with motard wheels, better exhausts, etc. They seem to be holding their prices, if not rising now (Worth quite a lot in places like Aus or even UK) & sound great even with just a decent set of pipes.
    These were the first motard bikes, well ahead of their time and considered by some to be one of the most fun to ride bikes. I think they need improvement though...
    Last edited by Newera; 14-07-14 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Newera View Post
    Will be another 6-12 months by the time it's finished
    Do you have a running offroad bike now? Would be good to meet up one of these days and some of us will likely be riding in Chiba one day next weekend.

Unfortunately I only have a KMX200 (With original tyres!), but it's up in Shikoku, with a friend.
    Where are you planning to be in Chiba? If not too far, I could drop in on the SP2, but that won't do any off roading!

Quote Originally Posted by Newera View Post
    Unfortunately I only have a KMX200 (With original tyres!), but it's up in Shikoku, with a friend.
    Where are you planning to be in Chiba? If not too far, I could drop in on the SP2, but that won't do any off roading!
    Will be moving around a lot so would probably be tough to meet up this time. Will post up next time we have a road ride planned there, and post up if you bring the KMX back to Chiba.

OK, no worries. I took the KMX there to leave at my inlaw's place in Shodoshima, so I'd have a bike to ride when we visit. No plans to bring it back to Chiba.
    A road ride would be better, but it's pretty hot this time of year. Better to ride in the mountains. Would love to do a trip to Kusatsu sometime. Some lovely high altitude scenic roads there.

I was just in Kusatsu in May. Got some good pics of the snow walls.

Shodoshima's a nice place to have in-laws, lucky you.

Kusatsu is great. I guess in May the road over the top would still have been closed? Some beautiful scenery & touring up there in warmer months...