Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My next bike?

Default My next bike?

I have a Serow 250 loaner at the moment. What an unexpected surprise, this bike is an absolute blast! Quick, nimble and it's a little torque monster, lofting the front wheel with just a twist of the wrist in first gear. Also very light, compact and easy to flatfoot so would be conducive to more daring offroad exploits. Might just have to get myself one.... :)

Very probably in my future, the Touring Serow. If I was buying a new bike now, this would be a major interest.

Yamaha Vino 50cc (Sold), Honda Transalp 400V (Sold), Honda CB400 Super Bol D'or (Sold), Yamaha Serow XT225WE (Sold), 2005 Beta Rev 3 (Current) 2015 Yamaha Serow XT250 (Current)

That's probably the one I'd get if buying new. Would probably leave the windshield off most of the time and just use the GPS mount and add some LED driving lights to the headlight guard.

Heard good things about the Serow. Never rode one though.
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

I was looking at these to too but have decided to go with the Kawasaki Super Sherpa instead. Regarding used bikes they are practically the same spec but a lot cheaper.

I really like the Serow touring model but I'm not sure I'd like to take a new bike on the rindos.

Sucks that you pretty much have to choose a bike without test riding it over here. I asked about the Serow at the Yamaha store but they said I'd have to pay 4500yen to rent it for a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by mochigeorge View Post
    I was looking at these to too but have decided to go with the Kawasaki Super Sherpa instead. Regarding used bikes they are practically the same spec but a lot cheaper.

I really like the Serow touring model but I'm not sure I'd like to take a new bike on the rindos.

Sucks that you pretty much have to choose a bike without test riding it over here. I asked about the Serow at the Yamaha store but they said I'd have to pay 4500yen to rent it for a few hours.
    I think the Sherpa has about 6hp more than the Serow. Doesn't carry the same price, but it nothing of the same reputation. The must be a reason for that.

Yamaha Vino 50cc (Sold), Honda Transalp 400V (Sold), Honda CB400 Super Bol D'or (Sold), Yamaha Serow XT225WE (Sold), 2005 Beta Rev 3 (Current) 2015 Yamaha Serow XT250 (Current)

I never considered the Serow when I was shopping for a DP because on the spec sheet it sounds really wimpy at 18hp/1.9 kg-m torque. Boy was I surprised when I twisted the throttle on the loaner. Real gem of a motor, loads of grunt down below and loves to rev, and the fueling is spot on. Also has a surprisingly good headlight. Don't know your location but YSP Kawasaki Chuo has a test mule (mine at the moment ).

Don't know your location but YSP Kawasaki Chuo has a test mule (mine at the moment ).

I never considered the Serow when I was shopping for a DP because on the spec sheet it sounds really wimpy at 18hp/1.9 kg-m torque. Boy was I surprised when I twisted the throttle on the loaner. Real gem of a motor, loads of grunt down below and loves to rev, and the fueling is spot on. Interestingly the YSP mechanic told me the FI version is much better than the previous carbed bike despite being down on power on the spec sheet. Also has a surprisingly good headlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dualta View Post
    I think the Sherpa has about 6hp more than the Serow. Doesn't carry the same price, but it nothing of the same reputation. The must be a reason for that.
    In the US they have a similar rep. Having never ridden a Sherpa I can't comment other than to say the finish on the used ones seem to suffer from flaking more than the other makes.

Hey TR, still looking to get a Serow?
    ----------------

Default My next bike?

No, I think he's getting one of these:

Default My next bike?

That would get him up the hills in a hurry

Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    Hey TR, still looking to get a Serow?
    I'm on the hunt for a CR500 in decent shape. Lightweight with decent power. In short, a Serow on steroids.

Last edited by Twinrider; 12-06-14 at 01:09 AM.

Default My next bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    I'm on the hunt for a CR500 in decent shape. Lightweight with decent power. In short, a Serow on steroids.
    Nice. You may need to import one though.

Btw, the hill climb at 3:35 is simply ridiculous!
    Last edited by rider2371; 12-06-14 at 01:54 AM.
    ----------------

Default My next bike?

Nice! No more excuses for not doing the hill climbs...

Default My next bike?

BTW, you can buy a brand new CR500 from these guys. They take a new CR500 engine and put it in to a new twin spar Aluminium CR chassis.
    https://www.servicehonda.com

They have high power lighting coil kits, but unfortunately I can't see a top box option :-(

I wonder if I can fit a Givi box? If not I guess something like Eric's Altrider setup would work well.

Here's the footage of the Service Honda 500AF on Mythbusters. 300ft across water:

Could come in handy during this weather (rainy season). As such seems like a very practical bike...

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    I wonder if I can fit a Givi box? If not I guess something like Eric's Altrider setup would work well.
    Best shoot Service Honda an email. Be sure to state that this is a deciding factor for you so they get back to you quickly. Share their response on GR as I'm sure a lot of riders are interested...

Default My next bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    Here's the footage of the Service Honda 500AF on Mythbusters. 300ft across water:

Could come in handy during this weather (rainy season). As such seems like a very practical bike...
    Wonder if they had the Tubliss on ;)
    ----------------

Here's a link to the 500AF page. Retail is $12,499 not including top box:
    https://www.servicehonda.com/honda-2014-models/500af