Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ** SEP 13-23 ** Hokkaido Annual Ritual Ride

Default ** SEP 13-23 ** Hokkaido Annual Ritual Ride

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE:
    So, turns out bad weather prevented us from executing the first couple of days according to the plan below, but I'll just leave these two routes here for furutre reference.
    Ride report posts to follow.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This ride will start the night of Friday 12, with a slab up to Akita.

Saturday 13 will be spent riding Oga peninsula, then through Hachimantai and finishing the day in Towadako Yamanoie.

Sunday 14 will begin with a nice morning ride around Towadako, Tsugaru Iwaki skyline before heading north toward Oma and the great twisties of Shimokita Peninsula has to offer.

Monday 15 will see us on the 7am ferry to Hakodate before zigzagging through the Oshima Peninsula north to Niseko, to finish off the day at the Niseko Rider House.

Tuesday 16 till Monday 22, schedule fluid at the moment.

More planning required. Will keep updating.
    Last edited by rider2371; 13-09-14 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Updated routes
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Default ** OCT 10 - 19 ** Hokkaido Annual Ritual Ride

A Hokkaido ride sounds wonderful. Sadly it's at the same time as motegi.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

Quote Originally Posted by racer162 View Post
    A Hokkaido ride sounds wonderful. Sadly it's at the same time as motegi.
    You're actually right!!!! Why hadn't I thought of that... Hmm, this requires some more pondering.
    ----------------

I can't go on a big ride the month after the September touring to Shikoku. But just for my 2 cents, Hokkaido is likely to be quite chilly that late in the year. Dress warm!
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    I can't go on a big ride the month after the September touring to Shikoku. But just for my 2 cents, Hokkaido is likely to be quite chilly that late in the year. Dress warm!
    Thanks Guy. Last time we were up there in mid October, it wasn't so bad. High teens during the day and mid to high single digit temps at night, and un-surprisingly, virtually no bikes.

racer162 just reminded me about MotoGP Motegi round which I plan to go to, so this trip might turn into a shorter Tohoku trip, not sure yet.
    ----------------

Jamil and friends are planning a trip around that time in October, but i think they plan to be at the GP before or after their trip.
    End of September last year was about as cold as i wanted to tour in. Late August to mid September is best IMHO.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    Jamil and friends are planning a trip around that time in October, but i think they plan to be at the GP before or after their trip.
    End of September last year was about as cold as i wanted to tour in. Late August to mid September is best IMHO.
    Nice, maybe Jamil can tag along to visit northern Japan :)

I don't mind the cold temps so much. I really enjoy the empty roads though, so I usually prefer to go as late as possible. I find the riding as enjoyable.

Problem with late August is I will cook on the ride back from Oarai to Tokyo, and I found out a couple years back that riding in the heat can give me serious cervical disc herniation pain, so I try to not ride in temperatures above 30 if I don't have to.
    ----------------

Along with an upcoming change to my other ride to Shikoku-Kyushu (as posted here), this Hokkaido ride is likely to be rescheduled to September 13-23. I have a feeling it may sync well with Jav and others' plans for a September Hokkaido ride.

Will make updates to the top post soon.
    ----------------

Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    Along with an upcoming change to my other ride to Shikoku-Kyushu (as posted here), this Hokkaido ride is likely to be rescheduled to September 13-23. I have a feeling it may sync well with Jav and others' plans for a September Hokkaido ride.

Will make updates to the top post soon.
    In that case I may be up for joining if we end up going there on big bikes instead of DPs (still undecided).

OTEchainbaiquerre;133757]I can't go on a big ride the month after the September touring to Shikoku. But just for my 2 cents, Hokkaido is likely to be quite chilly that late in the year. Dress warm![/QUOTE]

Hello chaps how are you all? Hope you're all well and keeping out of trouble. Had been keeping an eye in the thread but not posted until I knew what was what. So here is the deal for me. So far my friend Andrew and I have sorted ourselves out for a ride to Hokkaido in October and it more or less coincides with this ride. An still trying to see if we can muster a few more riders but for now we are the only two who are definitely confirmed.

We have both put an order in for a new F800GSA each so that will be our rides. Our plan is to arrive in Japan on the 3rd October and do a tour up to Hokkaido finishing off at the MotoGP and then leave on the 14th. We don't yet have an itinerary but thinking along the lines of camping and hotels with camping for sure at the GP.

So if we can join up with you along the way then that will be great else we'll just have to do our own thing. For sure we're going to appreciate any help in term of routes, places to camp and hotels to stay along the way. Starting and finishing at Jav's in Yamanashi. I know from your last year ride reports that it can get nippy so for that we are prepared.
    I know that the time we have won't do full justice to see everything so what are the must ride roads and must see places along the way. Don't just want to ride last everything and do want to stop and take in particular sights along the way. What's the best way to get to Hokkaido from Yamanashi?

Any help and advice greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Mods - appreciate if one of you could change the thread name to reflect the new dates. Thank you.
    ----------------

Mods - appreciate if one of you could change the thread name to reflect the new dates. Thank you.
    Done.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Would definitely like to get up there this year. If i do want to do mainly camping.
    Haildamage, are you planing a northern excursions this year?
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Would definitely like to get up there this year. If i do want to do mainly camping.
    He is planning a rindo-centric ride on his KTM or DRZ. While not opposed to going up on the S10, I wouldn't mind doing something like that myself just to do something different from last year.

yes jav, would love to have you along!

i am planning to go up a little after obon when the ferry prices are cheaper, the roads, campgrounds, hotels, riders houses, etc are much less crowded and the police are taking a bit of a break after their obon revenue raising campaign. i would be riding about 7 or 8 days and be gone from home for about 10-11 days including the ferry trip.

if i am going on the bike i prefer to camp, but would like to have the flexibility to hotel it when it is really rainy. last year it rained every evening and i ended up in hotels almost every night. if i take the bike up in a van, i won't mind the rain.

as many know, i went up on the DRZ and did a major recon/ survey tour. based on that i have very firm plans to make a B-line to the Onneyu onsen area and spend at least 3 nights there so that i can dedicate at least two days exploring this area i call Rindo Heaven! see the quote from last summers hokkaido rindo ride report.

i am not sure quite how i will do it this year. i am thinking about buying a van and might take the bike in the van this year. here are the 3 possiblities in order of my preference at this point in time:

1. take the bike and van up and camp out of the van and haul the bike between riding areas staying at least two nights in each riding area.

2. take the KTM up and tour on it

3. take the DRZ.

this is the area i recommend you put the most time aside for. i spent two nights in the Onneyu Onsen Hotel and had a whole day to explore unloaded. next time i might give myself 3 days to explore more of the side roads unloaded. there is also a decent looking campground in the town, but it was raining when i got there the first night so i went with the hotel. 9000 yen for a gorgeous huge room and great view plus with a big nice meal and a pretty good breakfast buffet.

http://www.gaijinriders.com/showthre...hokkaido+rindo

as many know, i am quite picky about having weak links on my team when i do rindo touring. i am even more serious about this when i spend a ton of money on the ferry to get up to hokkaido. i would love to have some company from reliable sensible riders. i dont mind newbies at all as long as they listen to the advice they are given and bring an appropriate and properly set up relatively light weight dirt bike with offroad wheels and tires. in other words Kansai Riders offroad bikes rules will strictly apply to those who are considered to be on my team. if a rider brings a big ADV bike, SM, or a bike with street tires you are welcome to ride the rindos as they are public roads, but i will leave your ass and tell you to hike to the main road and call a tow truck if you have a problem because of your inappropriate bike. if you bring an appropriate bike, i will spend the night on the rindo with you if it comes to that and help you to the end!

i am sorry to be this way but i do this type of riding to have fun, not to teach people why i ride an appropriate rindo bike the hard way. i just dont want to be a part of riders experience building struggles on my vacation...

Kansai Riders offroad bikes rules

You need a small relatively lightweight offroad bike with knobbies, offroad wheels and a run out of gas tank range of more than 180 kms. Bikes over around 400cc will be too much to handle for the vast majority of riders. Therefore, no bikes over 150kg curb weight please. No super motards. No street tires- Block type knobbie tires only please. Be sure to bring the tools necessary to get your wheels off if you have a flat tire. I will bring the tools required to fix flats.
    we should probably start a Hokkaido Rindo 2014 thread to discuss this further if anybody is interested since this is a very different tour than what is being planned here.

Default ** SEP 13-23 ** Hokkaido Annual Ritual Ride

Revv..viving as this is still on! Note, mostly a pavement odyssey, but doesn't stop folks from also pursuing off-road fantasies should they desire. Will likely involve some Tohoku adventures along the way to the Northern Road. Let's go!

Yep, 'bout time to resume the planning and bike preparations. Plan to get good lights, possibly HID + LEDs. I remember vividly those eyes staring in the dark roads of Daizetsuzan last year.
    ----------------

Plan to get good lights, possibly HID + LEDs. I remember vividly those eyes staring in the dark roads of Daizetsuzan last year.
    Can you please elaborate? I'm planning my first hokkaido trip for this summer and would like to know what to expect!

Thanks,
    Adrien

Quote Originally Posted by adrien View Post
    Can you please elaborate? I'm planning my first hokkaido trip for this summer and would like to know what to expect!

Thanks,
    Adrien
    There are lots of animals up there, expect the unexpected day or night!

Quote Originally Posted by adrien View Post
    Hokkaido is pretty densely populated by animals, who like to stroll down the roads at night. So if you're planning to ride at night, make sure you have good lights on the bike, ride slow, and slightly unfocus your vision so that your range of visual awareness is expanded which helps see both sides of the road and shortens your reaction times in case a deer or bear decides to come out to say hi

In some areas like Daizetsuzan and Shiretoko, I have seen animals on the side of the road in the past even during the day, but obviously they're fewer and easier to spot than at night.
    ----------------