Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Bluetooth intercom?

Default Best Bluetooth intercom?

What is the best Bluetooth intercom you will suggest me to buy ?
    mostly would be for communicating with girlfriend on the back or with some riders when we go out for a day trip..and phone calls.. Good with the rain and good sound which I guess it will change depending on the exhaust we use .... Maybe my Termignoni it's bad?;-)
    I hear good things about the Sena SMH10-10 and the Midland seams quite good on the price ( need to buy a pair ).

thanks for now

Sena is the way to go. With their latest firmware, they can now pair with any Bluetooth intercom from other manufacturers.

A few different models exist, so see which one suits your needs best, but you can't go wrong with any of them.
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    Sena is the way to go. With their latest firmware, they can now pair with any Bluetooth intercom from other manufacturers.

A few different models exist, so see which one suits your needs best, but you can't go wrong with any of them.
    Thanks!
    Is the SMH10-10 the latest model ?

Quote Originally Posted by Diabolik View Post
    Thanks!
    Is the SMH10-10 the latest model ?
    SMH10-11 was released after the SMH10-10 I believe, but they should both function the same. The difference is that the SMH10-11 comes with a modular microphone. Check out this video to learn about the differences.

----------------

The Sena 20S is actually the latest, and should hit the shelves some time in April/May.

http://senabluetooth.com/product/intercoms/20s/
    ----------------

I use the Sena SMH10R. It is a low profile unit with a separate battery pack.
    Sena has just released a firmware update that they claim will make it possible to communicate with other brands of Bluetooth units.
    In fact I just ordered another SMH10R today with upgraded speakers fitted. :-)

Best bang for the buck though has to be the SMH-5. You can get a set of two intercoms for less than the price of one SMH-10. The feature set isn't too much different, though the firmware doesn't yet allow pairing with other manufactures of headsets. Range is smaller, but it's not so far that it makes a big difference in real world applications. Battery life isn't as long, but it's good enough that you can put in a good solid day of riding without having to recharge. The speakers are anemic, but you can buy upgrades.

On the surface, many of the SMH-10 features look really nice, but in 2 years running now, I haven't needed anything more than what the SMH-5 offered.

Thanks everybody, i will go to Ricoland probably this coming Friday if no rain and check the what they have got from Sena.. Do you think if i buy it from the States will be cheaper? would be working in Japan? I guess they are same, right?

dmizer what you didn't really use of the function that the SMH-10 offers ? just to figure out if i would or wouldn't need myself..,Thanks

rider2371 I could definitely wait till April if it is worth it :-),

Thanks everybody !

This is where I bought my first unit and also just ordered my second:
    http://www.rocketmoto.com/
    Great service and discounts offered to members of the advrider forum

Quote Originally Posted by Japanviking View Post
    This is where I bought my first unit and also just ordered my second:
    http://www.rocketmoto.com/
    Great service and discounts offered to members of the advrider forum

Thanks !
    Are u a member ? How much discount they gave you ? well the the shipping costa to add ,right?
    Now some company from Europe they do world wide FREE shipping for their products.. nice !1 Also if you by from Germany, they take off 19% of taxes if you live outside Europe...

I will check later !

Grazie !

Default Best Bluetooth intercom?

I thought I posted, take a look at the scala rider G9 it also is a very good unit I know nancy people using it as well as myself. I bought the powerset which is 2 sets for around ¥36,000 delivered. Never failed me or my riding friends and good distance also
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

I bought the Sena SMH10-11 Dual last week. Got it off Amazon jp for 30,000yen. Its awsome beyond compare. Easy set up on my AGV helmet. The sound is crystal clear. Highly recommend it!

Quote Originally Posted by gong View Post
    I bought the Sena SMH10-11 Dual last week. Got it off Amazon jp for 30,000yen. Its awsome beyond compare. Easy set up on my AGV helmet. The sound is crystal clear. Highly recommend it!
    Thanks, it sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by Diabolik View Post
    dmizer what you didn't really use of the function that the SMH-10 offers ? just to figure out if i would or wouldn't need myself..,Thanks
    My use case involves all of the following situations.
    Phone pairing for taking phone calls on the bike.
    Phone pairing so I can stream music.
    Phone pairing so I can listen to google maps audio directions.
    GPS navi unit pairing so I can listen to audio directions.
    Comm unit for bike to bike communication during several multi-day tours.
    Comm unit for pilot to pillion communication during many multi-day tours.

I've never been in a situation that required conferencing.
    I've never been in a situation that required an FRS connection, though I can see that being useful.
    I've never been in a situation that required me to pair with a rider who had another brand of headset.

Those are the three major features that the SMH-10 has that the SMH-5 does not. There are a few others, but nothing worth mentioning. If you want to do a comparison yourself, have a look here: http://senabluetooth.com

A lot of people are concerned about the range, but really ... as long as you can see the other rider, you'll be able to talk with either the SMH-5 or the SMH-10. Further, if you are unable to see the other rider, you are unlikely to be able to talk with either the SMH-5 or the SMH-10.

Edit to add: I own and have extensively used both the SMH-5 and the SMH-10 units. I have no problems with either of them, but I prefer the connection for the SMH-5 over the SMH-10 since the SMH-10 uses pins that run the risk of getting bent or damaged. The SMH-10 is also significantly larger, so occasionally I will accidentally tap the jog dial with my shoulder causing it to disconnect, or take some other kind of unknown action.
    Last edited by dmizer; 19-03-14 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    The SMH-10 is also significantly larger, so occasionally I will accidentally tap the jog dial with my shoulder causing it to disconnect, or take some other kind of unknown action.
    I think I would have to dislocate my shoulder to move it high enough to tap the jog dial, or sprain my neck bending it down...

Despite being a little less thick winter glove friendly, my favorite is the SMH10R, since it comes with two batteries, so you never run out of juice. Under normal use, the some measly 7 hours of battery life is just not good enough as it only covers b/w 1/2-1/3 of a typical ride
    With the SMH10R I have the "second" battery always charging so fresh power is always only 30 seconds away and no messing around and wasting time trickle charging the SMH5/10 at every stop only to maybe buy yourself another 1-2 hours of use.
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

Do these set ups allow you to hear Google Maps voice directions from an iPhone? That's my navi of choice, but I'm running a pair of earphones from it and it can be cumbersome.

Yamaha Vino 50cc (Sold), Honda Transalp 400V (Sold), Honda CB400 Super Bol D'or (Sold), Yamaha Serow XT225WE (Sold), 2005 Beta Rev 3 (Current) 2015 Yamaha Serow XT250 (Current)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualta View Post
    Do these set ups allow you to hear Google Maps voice directions from an iPhone? That's my navi of choice, but I'm running a pair of earphones from it and it can be cumbersome.
    Yes, you can listen to audio directions given from your iPhone on either the SMH-10 and SMH-5.

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Yes, you can listen to audio directions given from your iPhone on either the SMH-10 and SMH-5.
    Cheers

Yamaha Vino 50cc (Sold), Honda Transalp 400V (Sold), Honda CB400 Super Bol D'or (Sold), Yamaha Serow XT225WE (Sold), 2005 Beta Rev 3 (Current) 2015 Yamaha Serow XT250 (Current)

the S20 looks cool as well...mmm.. i wonder how much will cost when it comes out on the market

http://senabluetooth.com/product/intercoms/20s/