Thread: Disc herniation caused by riding in hot weather

Cool Disc herniation caused by riding in hot weather

Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    I found out a couple years back that riding in the heat can give me serious cervical disc herniation pain, so I try to not ride in temperatures above 30 if I don't have to.
    I have disc herniation issues, so I'm always on the lookout for anything that can set off pain in my back. Never heard about heat being a factor. Are you sure there wasn't some other reason why your back hurt at that time?
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    I have disc herniation issues, so I'm always on the lookout for anything that can set off pain in my back. Never heard about heat being a factor. Are you sure there wasn't some other reason why your back hurt at that time?
    It was my neck. Happened on a ride back from Iwate two summers ago. I started feeling the pain up my neck after a couple of hours on the highway. I don't recall the accurate temperature reading, but I remember we were riding in 35+ degrees down the Tohoku for a good few hours that day.

I went to see an orthopedist the following day because I couldn't turn my head the following day. He took a few x-rays in various angles and confirmed that one of my discs was herniating. When he heard my account of the previous day, he said that under extreme heat for extended periods of time, when the body's core temperature rises, the cartilage tissues can sometimes become softer, and that, combined with the weight of my helmet and the road bumps, may very well have caused the disc (that was closest to being compressed given the particular angle in which I was riding) to herniate.

I stayed off the bike for a couple of months and went through "neck stretch" therapy and I was back to normal.

Last summer, I started feeling mild pain again on the daily commute, and it wouldn't subside even after I switched to a lighter helmet, so again I laid off the bike for the few weeks of peak heat and all was fine afterwards.
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    Last summer, I started feeling mild pain again on the daily commute, and it wouldn't subside even after I switched to a lighter helmet, so again I laid off the bike for the few weeks of peak heat and all was fine afterwards.
    If you want, I can move our disc pain comments to a new thread in Health and Well Being.

Anyway, aside from avoiding heat, you could also try a cooling vest: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/r...d-cooling-vest

And for a more extreme cooling solution, there's this: http://www.veskimo.com/cooling-vest-...cle-racing.php
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    If you want, I can move our disc pain comments to a new thread in Health and Well Being.
    That'd be good, and thanks for the links too.
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Need to exercise, make stronger the neck muscle muscle 8 for herniated dick on the back, same thing, strength back muscle is one must)

A carbon fiber hemets also would be good, together with good wind protection , so less pressure for the neck on high speed or just long ride.

You can try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvQTyHE2c5M just mocking even though it really works especially for fighters MMA or so.
    There are better exercises you can do..