Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire pumps

Default Tire pumps

I have the AirMan Sparrow Air Pump. Used it a couple times to inflate my dirt bike tires up to 22 psi this past weekend with no issues.
    Haven't used it on big bike or car, but I don't expect any issues there. The gauge supports pressures up to 150 psi.
    May not be of same quality build as Motopumps but for less than half the price I am satisfied.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...e/8600265.html
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Main thing I like about the new model Motopump over the old one is that the new one is enclosed in a plastic case. I never liked the exposed gears on the old one; it got the job done for sure, but you had to be careful about how you held it while it was chugging away.

The BestRest Cycle Pump is $100 and metal, not plastic, but I'm not sure how important it is for the pump to be made of metal. Generally I carry mine packed in a case where it's not getting slammed around. It's not like it's going to take a lot of abuse unless you happen to drop it on a hard surface from high up.
    Last edited by Guy Jinbaiquerre; 17-04-14 at 03:16 PM.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Does Motopumps actually say where their pumps are made? I can't find that info on their website... which makes me think it's probably China, because they say so if it weren't.
    Last edited by Guy Jinbaiquerre; 17-04-14 at 03:16 PM.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    Does Motopumps actually say where their pumps are made? I can't find that info on their website... which makes me think it's probably China, because they say so if it weren't.
    I answered my own question: Taiwan.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...931816&page=11

The Mini Pro inflator is built in a factory in Taiwan. The factory is ISO 9001/14000 certified. The pump is RoHs compliant and CE certified for sale in the European Union. It has TUV certification.

Interestingly, the MotoPumps guy implies that the BestRest Cycle Pump is only assembled in the US, out of components made in China:

You could pay $100 for a Cycle Pump, made in the US from Chinese parts, $125 with an inline pressure gauge. Still doesn't have any of the other features the Mini Pro has, and it weighs twice as much without the gauge.
    Last edited by Guy Jinbaiquerre; 17-04-14 at 11:58 AM.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

A few others I've been considering:

825 kPa for 3000 JPY and decent reviews http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B009NNX5FM

700 kPa for 2600 JPY http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B009NNX5E8

450 kPa for 4000 JPY http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B000AR2MOK

There's a bunch that are less than 2000 JPY but I have a hard time believing that these are worth even that little.

If you want the ultimate 12V portable compressor, there's a Japanese-made one that was used in the Dakar Rally here: http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B002EZZ87Y
    KTM 690 E; DoD#1458

Quote Originally Posted by haildamage View Post
    This is how 'reliable' i found the motopump to be. i pulled it out to use it and it was broken. luckily, i was at home. i pulled the broken part apart to make it more obvious in the photo.

maybe i was just unlucky, but i wouldnt trust these pumps as my only way to inflate a flat tire after a fix! note that i cannibalized the cord. this is the reason for the cord being gone.

As I posted in the other pump thread, my Motopump also broke recently in a similar manner although not the same metal piece, and the pump stopped working. That is what made me put more value on the Bestrest pump, which appears to be built to withstand a bomb blast.

Here's a pic of the Bestrest pump. All metal outer construction, built to withstand a lot of abuse. I've had one for more than 10 years and it still works great.

While I'm sure a Motopump would work fine for a while. Just not confident that it will stand up to long-term use in an offroad environment given my and haildamage's experiences. I've had my Bestrest pump for about a decade and it's definitely built to withstand heavy duty abuse. Which is why it weighs what it does. It's more durable, being made of metal instead of plastic. And it also has a 5 year warranty. No, it doesn't have a built in light or a gauge like the latest Motopump, but I always carry a light and gauge anyhow.

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-10...and-gauge.aspx

Short story is, I would buy a Bestrest Cycle pump if I was in the market now. The only thing I don't like is the fiddly air chuck but they've upgraded that on the current model.

Default Tire pumps

I just bought the cheapest pump at Konan home center for 1000yen, and took off the plastic cover and the fan. Looks just like the bestrest pump inside. Something like this http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B000...110_SY165_QL70

Quote Originally Posted by Kyotoviking View Post
    I just bought the cheapest pump at Konan home center for 1000yen, and took off the plastic cover and the fan. Looks just like the bestrest pump inside. Something like this http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B000...110_SY165_QL70
    I have been planning to do the same.

Looks can be deceiving. While outwardly similar, one unit can be made of cheap pot metal and poor quality parts and the other just the opposite. When the British Army went to Iraq, they took the full metal jacket Bestrest pump.

http://expeditionportal.com/equipmen...ssor-test.html

I personally don't understand the logic of spending $10K-$25K on a motorcycle but hesitating to spend $100 on a high quality pump that will last for years and could make the difference between being stranded or getting home, but to each his own.

Last edited by Twinrider; 18-04-14 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    I personally don't understand the logic of spending $10K-$25K on a motorcycle but hesitating to spend $100 on a high quality pump that will last for years and could make the difference between being stranded or getting home, but to each his own.
    He's not hesitating to spend $100 on a high quality pump. He's questioning whether the $100 pump is really high quality, or simply the cheap pump stuck in a metal housing and sold at an inflated price.

I have to say, the Bestrest, Motopump, Touratech, and some other models all look very similar to me on the inside, even if the metal case protects those internals better than a plastic case. The fact that the British Army took the Bestrest to Iraq and liked it doesn't prove anything about whether it's made differently from the others. I would like to see some definitive information about the construction or materials of one pump's internals actually being superior to that of the other models.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

He's not hesitating to spend $100 on a high quality pump. He's questioning whether the $100 pump is really high quality, or simply the cheap pump stuck in a metal housing and sold at an inflated price.
    You sure do like reading between the lines. All he wrote was that it looked like the same pump.

The five year warranty and the fact that I've owned one for more than a decade without issues tells me that it's not the same pump despite the similar outward appearance. I'm guessing the British Army also did some testing before choosing to take it into a war zone. Not sure if they included a $10 Konan pump though.

In any case, if people want to rely on a $10 pump to get them home, that's their choice.

You sure do like reading between the lines. All he wrote was that it looked like the same pump.
    The implication of his statement was obvious. Didn't have to go between the lines on this one.

The five year warranty and the fact that I've owned one for more than a decade without issues tells me that it's not the same pump despite the similar outward appearance.
    How often have you used the Bestrest in that 10-year-plus period? Seems like you were relying on your Motopump a lot during that time, which may be one reason why it broke and the Bestrest didn't.

Anyway, I'd happily spend extra money on a better-quality pump versus less money on one that's likely to break. But I'd like to make that decision based on actual information about the construction of each model, rather than anecdotal evidence alone.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

The implication of his statement was obvious. Didn't have to go between the lines on this one.
    Obvious? He said he sought out the cheapest pump at Konan and said it looked just like the Bestrest pump.

How often have you used the Bestrest in that 10-year-plus period? Seems like you were relying on your Motopump a lot during that time, which may be one reason why it broke and the Bestrest didn't.

Anyway, I'd happily spend extra money on a better-quality pump versus less money on one that's likely to break. But I'd like to make that decision based on actual information about the construction of each model, rather than anecdotal evidence alone.
    I used the BR pump a lot for the first 6 years, then I switched to the Motopump because the chuck is easier to use. But now that the Motopump has broken, I'll upgrade the chucks on the BR to the new design and use it again.

Not sure how you would get "actual information" about the construction of a $10 pump versus the $100 Bestrest pump unless you sent it to a firm specializing in testing the quality of the metal, bearings and rest of the parts.

For me, the length of the warranty is a pretty good indication of how much faith a company has in its product.

And then there are the obvious things visible to the eye such construction, ie, the BR pump having a full metal jacket to protect it against damage.

And then finally, anecdotal evidence. Such as the British Army selecting it for use in Iraq. They don't choose vital equipment on a whim. They test and evaluate.

And then finally, anecdotal evidence. Such as the British Army selecting it for use in Iraq. They don't choose vital equipment on a whim. They test and evaluate.
    Aw, heck, they don't even test their guns!

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/o...tary.jamesmeek

The gun was not ready, either to be made or used. The public never learned - and, to this day, has not learned in full - what was going on behind the scenes as the weapon came into service: how the designers at Enfield had failed to grasp the difficulties of making a cheap, mass-produced gun using new technology, how seriously the Thatcher administration's determination to privatise the Royal Ordnance threatened the ability of British soldiers to fight, and how the Ministry of Defence failed to test the production version of the weapon in realistic conditions before accepting it into service.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

I've owned a BR Cyclepump for about 7 years, I use it every week in the garage to check the tire pressures before heading out for a ride. I stopped carrying it on the bike after the Motopumps became available as these are much smaller and lighter units.

I have two Motopumps, have had/used one for about 5 years (it's a permanent fixture in the FJR tookkit). I bought the second one about 2 years ago and it's been a permanent fixture in the Djebel toolkit ever since. I am yet to see any problems with either of the Motopump units, but than again, I treat mine a little better than the two broken ones I saw in the pics above. Mine is always in the case and is treated with respect

Btw, Aerostich now make a similar sized mini pump to the Motopumps, so maybe you might consider that as an option too, it's similar but has a shroud around the gears...

Aerostich Mini Compressor #3500 - $47

TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

Default Re: Tire pumps

Yeah, I didn't have a problem with my Motopump till it suddenly broke one day. Good thing I didn't have a flat. I always kept my Motopump in its bag as well, it didn't get knocked around. Just speculating but I think it broke due to heat-related pot metal fatigue.

Will use the heavier BP, my bikes can pull the extra ounces no problem...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Default Tire pumps

Where's my popcorn?

My bike cost 4K$ from Yahoo auctions. A promotion gift from my wife.

Exactly!! Bravoo!!!

Btw, used the pump to inflate flats, seat the bead, pumping car tires and so on. Still works after 5 years. Maybe I'm just lucky ;-)

Where's my popcorn?

My bike cost 4K$ from Yahoo auctions. A promotion gift from my wife.

Exactly!! Bravoo!!!

Btw, used the pump to inflate flats, seat the bead, pumping car tires and so on. Still works after 5 years. Maybe I'm just lucky ;-)
    If I toured as far and frequently as you, I'd trust a Konan pump too. :)

Default Re: Tire pumps

If I toured as far and frequently as you, I'd trust a Konan pump too.
    Tone it down, please. It's only natural that you want to justify the extra money you spent on your pump, but there's no need to insult other members in the process.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Tone it down, please. It's only natural that you want to justify the extra money you spent on your pump, but there's no need to insult other members in the process.
    No one is being insulted and I think KV would be the first one to tell me if he minded my ribbing. So take a chill pill.