Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire pumps

Default Re: Tire pumps

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    You need to get a sense of humor mr mighty mod.
    No, you do. "Humor" doesn't have to involve putting down other people, especially forum members. Really, take a break from the smack talk and give it a try sometime.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

No one is being insulted and I think KV would be the first one to tell me if he minded my ribbing. So take a chill pill.
    Not everyone likes to mix it up online as much as you do. And sometimes people don't tell you when they're offended; they just go away.

Kyotoviking has a grand total of 261 posts on GR to your 15,523. How about making him feel welcome before segueing into your standard ball-breaking routine?
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Default Tire pumps

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    Not everyone likes to mix it up online as much as you do. And sometimes people don't tell you when they're offended; they just go away.
    No problems. He's got a point, I will admit that (even if I know I'm right), so I will just wait and see if he admits that I have a point.

For those that isn't that good at reading between the lines: don't trust you get a 10times better pump just because the price is higher, and the plastic is smoother. It's all made in China, and the plastic ends up in the north Pacific Ocean, and in the tummy of fish and whales. Fuck the TPP and all other trade pacts. Things should be made where they are supposed to be sold and used. That could save the planet....
    Yes.
    And yes. I have parked motorcycle syndrome (PMS).
    But at least I'm solving many world problems and sorting my camping gear (again and again) in my office.

Kyotoviking has a grand total of 261 posts on GR to your 15,523. How about making him feel welcome before segueing into your standard ball-breaking routine?
    I've personally partied with KV and think I know him well enough that I can gently rib him, as clearly indicated by the smilie face. So again take a chill pill, your nanny modding isn't needed on this occasion.

Default Tire pumps

Someone pass another beer.
    RedSquare
    Some pithy saying about biking, or a quote from a self-styled guru. Take your pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyotoviking View Post
    No problems. He's got a point, I will admit that (even if I know I'm right), so I will just wait and see if he admits that I have a point.
    OK, dropping the joking around. I've done the same home center pump mod before myself and it worked fine for the time that I used it before giving it to a friend. And I used a Motopump for about 5 years before it broke. In short, I think having a cheap pump is far better than no pump.

But given my experiences with the BR pump and Motopump, I do believe there is a difference in quality. And the cost is not that great in the grand scheme of motorcycle riding imo. So I reckon it's a sound option for those who don't mind spending the extra bucks.

I think that generally goes with most products. Buy high quality once versus cheap many times. JMO...

Quote Originally Posted by RedSquare View Post
    Someone pass another beer.
    Sorry, off to the sports club now so have to bow out for tonight.

I've personally partied with KV and think I know him well enough that I can gently rib him, as clearly indicated by the smilie face.
    You've got more "gentle ribbing" than a magnum-size condom; the only difference is it brings no one any pleasure.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

i passed along the strip a cheap home center pump idea from TW to KV, so its nice you guys are discussing it

indeed, its good to have A pump. if you are using a pump of questionable or unproven longevity, its probably a good idea to take it out and make sure it is in good working order often. hell, its probably a good idea to do that with ANY pump!

i have been using the aeorstich pump pictured below for about 8 years. it as gotten a lot of use and abuse. it has vibrated itself apart a couple of times but nothing that couldnt be buttoned back together with a screwdriver. after my much newer and less used motopump fell apart for no good reason i bought two more of these!

Well I just used a small but good quality bicycle pump on my SE Asia adventure and it did sterling service on the many occasions I had to adjust tyre pressures for getting through some tricky off-road sections and then back onto sealed roads a long way from the nearest compressor also stood me in good stead repairing a puncture on my bike and a couple on bikes of otherwise stranded locals. At home I have a good quality foot operated pump and used it when I changed the two tyres on the GS. Neither of these tools have ever failed and they are cheap too. The battery never goes flat but the motor tires a bit as it's over 60 years old.

Default Tire pumps

You've got more "gentle ribbing" than a magnum-size condom; the only difference is it brings no one any pleasure.
    I'm frequently amused by TR even when I'm the Burt of the joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to reignite this thread, seeing it's a bit aged now and I'm in the market for a pump.

So, here's my question. Are the cheap home centre pumps adequate for close-to-home use? I should have bought a pump earlier, but now I'm looking at two days riding this weekend and no pump. Mind you, both destinations are within 15 minutes of the house, so maybe riding the roads on dirt pressure wouldn't be that much of a grief for the time being?

Yamaha Vino 50cc (Sold), Honda Transalp 400V (Sold), Honda CB400 Super Bol D'or (Sold), Yamaha Serow XT225WE (Sold), 2005 Beta Rev 3 (Current) 2015 Yamaha Serow XT250 (Current)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualta View Post
    I'm in the market for a pump.
    Have you tried Kabukicho?
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Have you tried Kabukicho?
    Nopers, but I bet you're good for a recommendation ;)

Yamaha Vino 50cc (Sold), Honda Transalp 400V (Sold), Honda CB400 Super Bol D'or (Sold), Yamaha Serow XT225WE (Sold), 2005 Beta Rev 3 (Current) 2015 Yamaha Serow XT250 (Current)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualta View Post
    I'm going to reignite this thread, seeing it's a bit aged now and I'm in the market for a pump.

So, here's my question. Are the cheap home centre pumps adequate for close-to-home use? I should have bought a pump earlier, but now I'm looking at two days riding this weekend and no pump. Mind you, both destinations are within 15 minutes of the house, so maybe riding the roads on dirt pressure wouldn't be that much of a grief for the time being?
    A cheap pump is perfectly adequate. My D2/Cainz/Chinese stripped down 900 yen pump is showing no signs of failure. After a lesson with Kiyo-sensei we usually ride about 30 mins on road before stopping for gas and air. I haven't seen any detrimental effects to my or other riders' tires, although I noticed that Kiyo-sensei's Michelin trial tires drift a lot on the rims at road speeds.
    "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then give up. There's no use in being a damn fool about it."
    W.C. Fields

Default Tire pumps

I use an hand pump from Astro which fits Schrader valves, is compact enough to fit in my back pack tool kit and very light weight (117g).

Any pump with enough pressure, will do the job. Use a foot pump most days at work, as it is simply way
    faster than removing seats and hooking up wires. A bicycle pump will work, just expect to spend some time
    pumping and allow for a few breaks as the pump will heat up.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

If the Brits are anything like the Aussies, then their military using it, just means they outbid their
    competitors at the brothel.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Default Tire pumps

I should add that the hand pump I carry in my tool pack is intended for emergency use. It does work fine though and has the advantage that it is also capable of inflating the high pressure (110psi) tube of the Tubliss system which I have fitted front and rear. The handle of the pump swivels round making it comfortable to use for an extended period:

When I need to air up the tires after an offroad ride (before riding on the highway) I typically pull in to a gasoline station and use their air...

Thanks everyone. I reckon I'll pick up a hand pump before Saturday. I'll keep it for emergencies, and then I'll search around for an electric one I can run off the cigar socket. The tyres' road pressure is 1.5, and I've been advised to drop that to 1.1 front, 1.2 rear when off-road. I'm sure even a hand pump would suffice to re-inflate them by that much or thereabouts.