Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How about the Honda XR600R?

Default How about the Honda XR600R?

Was just looking online and it seems like that XR600R has practically the same dry weight (128kg) as my XR250 Baja (125kg). Can that be right? If so, why not get an extra 350cc for practically the same weight?
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    Was just looking online and it seems like that XR600R has practically the same dry weight (128kg) as my XR250 Baja (125kg). Can that be right? If so, why not get an extra 350cc for practically the same weight?
    It's quite tall and powerful, so it'd be a handful unless you are big and/or very skilled. And it's kick only so you'd have to have a strong right leg as well.

Btw, Honda lists the Baja's dry weight as 119kg. http://www.honda.co.jp/factbook/moto...00302/011.html

Default Auction Sampler Wednesday 16th April 2014

Yes, the XR600R is pretty light. Scott Summers used to pick his up. Actually met him in Japan at an Enduro race about 20 years ago at Shidoki.

I remember reading about him in Grrrr...

I really want to get one of these XR600R's at some point and adapt it to my needs. It's pretty damn light, it should be comfier on long rides than a 250, and it should blast up hills a lot more easily than a 250 while being easier to maintain than a KTM. It could be the true "do it all" adventure bike. There's a lot of posts on ADVrider and elsewhere about adding electric start and lowering the seat height.

Or I could just man up and deal with the extra height and kick starter. Either way.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

It would be more fun on long rides, but I doubt it'd be more comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    It would be more fun on long rides, but I doubt it'd be more comfy.

Those bikes are not meant to be comfortable for long rides for sure...

it should blast up hills a lot more easily than a 250 while being easier to maintain than a KTM. It could be the true "do it all" adventure bike.
    Power is not a substitute for skill. Any hill that is climbable by a bike is probably easiest on a small capacity bike (watch Kiyo-sensei and his advanced students). By design KTMs are very easy to maintain which is essential for competition use. I can do most things with only a 10mm and 8mm wrench; the air filter is changeable without tools. Kiyo-sensei recently adjusted my fork height, rear suspension sag, compression and rebound all in a few minutes standing in a dry river bed.

But I'm not trying to convince you of the merits of a KTM. We'd all love to see you on a XR600R so go for it!
    "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then give up. There's no use in being a damn fool about it."
    W.C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
    Power is not a substitute for skill. Any hill that is climbable by a bike is probably easiest on a small capacity bike
    I'd agree that a lighter bike would be easier to get up a hill than a heavier one, but if two bikes weigh about the same, surely the more powerful one would be a better hill climber, no?

As far as maintenance, I was thinking more about valve clearance checks and other engine-related stuff than suspension adjustments.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

I'd agree that a lighter bike would be easier to get up a hill than a heavier one, but if two bikes weigh about the same, surely the more powerful one would be a better hill climber, no?

As far as maintenance, I was thinking more about valve clearance checks and other engine-related stuff than suspension adjustments.
    Plus I would add if the rider is 75kg or 100kg also matter while claiming the hills..maybe..

Quote Originally Posted by Diabolik View Post
    Plus I would add if the rider is 75kg or 100kg also matter while claiming the hills..maybe..
    Sure, but Neilb and his 400cc KTM got a lot farther up the big hill than most people, and he weighs well over 100kg! He's very skilled, but I wonder if a Serow could have gotten him that far up.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Sure, but Neilb and his 400cc KTM got a lot farther up the big hill than most people, and he weighs well over 100kg! He's very skilled, but I wonder if a Serow could have gotten him that far up.
    When I first met Neilb about 20 years ago he was riding an XR600R. I'll ask him to chime in with his thoughts on the big XR and how it compares to more recent design bikes such as the 2009 KTM 400 EXC he is currently riding...

Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    When I first met Neilb about 20 years ago he was riding an XR600R. I'll ask him to chime in with his thoughts on the big XR and how it compares to more recent design bikes such as the 2009 KTM 400 EXC he is currently riding...
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Hi Guys, Let me chime in :-)
    I had an XR600 it was a great bike, simple in design and smooth and powerful. The main differences with then and now is the suspension and with liquid cooling the power. Honestly it can not be compared to the KTM I ride now for weight handling. Regarding getting up hills, honestly if the hill is as steep as the ones we tried to get up then power is the key, momentum is what helps you get up the hill, so acceleration and the power to keep it there. Honestly the weight of the rider is not that much an issue when the bike is moving just the suspension needs to be firmed up (a lot!!) There is some skill I guess but really I am just stupid enough to pin the throttle and hang on for dear life :-) If you think about the serrow and similar bikes, there are a few limitations. Trail bikes can manage general offroad tasks but fundamentally they are under powered, the gearing is way to high and the suspension can not manage the task. If you want to do hard core off-roading then pick a focused offroad bike, KTM, Husaberg, Husky, WR450 CRF450X etc. Then take a big gulp of courage and give it a go :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Neilb View Post
    Hi Guys, Let me chime in :-)
    I had an XR600 it was a great bike, simple in design and smooth and powerful. The main differences with then and now is the suspension and with liquid cooling the power. Honestly it can not be compared to the KTM I ride now for weight handling. Regarding getting up hills, honestly if the hill is as steep as the ones we tried to get up then power is the key, momentum is what helps you get up the hill, so acceleration and the power to keep it there. Honestly the weight of the rider is not that much an issue when the bike is moving just the suspension needs to be firmed up (a lot!!) There is some skill I guess but really I am just stupid enough to pin the throttle and hang on for dear life :-) If you think about the serrow and similar bikes, there are a few limitations. Trail bikes can manage general offroad tasks but fundamentally they are under powered, the gearing is way to high and the suspension can not manage the task. If you want to do hard core off-roading then pick a focused offroad bike, KTM, Husaberg, Husky, WR450 CRF450X etc. Then take a big gulp of courage and give it a go :-)
    Thanks, Neilb, that is some useful feedback. So I guess you need all that power to haul your giant balls up the hill!
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Thanks, Neilb, that is some useful feedback.
    Perhaps copy or move to a separate thread? Rather than letting it get lost with the Wednesday auction posts...

Just a thought
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    Perhaps copy or move to a separate thread? Rather than letting it get lost with the Wednesday auction posts...

Just a thought
    Done.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Thanks, Neilb, that is some useful feedback. So I guess you need all that power to haul your giant balls up the hill!
    Giant body up the hill more like it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
    Power is not a substitute for skill. Any hill that is climbable by a bike is probably easiest on a small capacity bike (watch Kiyo-sensei and his advanced students).
    Not sure i agree on that, though initially it was my though as well. The problem is on these hills which tended to be steep a the
    start and then much steeper at the top, there was so much loose crap that without momentum, getting to the top would be difficult.
    That said, i would love to see how Kiyo san would fare. Maybe we could set up another camp weekend with the theme power/skill
    vs no power/skill.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Guy,

I would not recommend the XR600R. Better a bike like Neil's. Sell the Honda and you are over half way there
    on cost.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.