Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 59 of 59

Thread: How about the Honda XR600R?

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Down by the river
    Posts
    17,155

    Default

    My CRM250 was a wheelie beast. First gear was too violent, had to use 2nd gear to keep from flipping. Did everything on it from offroading to circuit riding to touring Hokkaido. It had a lot of power and was a fun bike to ride. One of its virtues was that it always crashed well with little or no damage.

    In motard guise:




  2. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    1,592

    Default How about the Honda XR600R?

    Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    Your bike is nice but about 5 times my budget, not including the maintenance Will stick to a CRM most likely. Wish I still had my 2nd Gen.
    I had a blast on my '93 CRM and you've had one before so you know how much fun they are. However, the bikes I had after were a big step up in performance, weight and handling. Yes, they were also more expensive and higher maintenance, but they allowed me to do things I could have never done on the CRM (Eg Jumps like the one in my signature, the big tabletop at Shidoki MX course in Fukushima-ken on the '01 CR). 4strokes back then were big and heavy and I never thought twice about owning one. Technology has changed drastically over the past 10 years, allowing much lighter and nimble 4strokes, which are only slightly heavier than equivalent 2smokes. But you're right, maintenance can be expensive if you're not going to do it yourself...

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Down by the river
    Posts
    17,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    I had a blast on my '93 CRM and you've had one before so you know how much fun they are. However, the bikes I had after were a big step up in performance, weight and handling. Yes, they were also more expensive and higher maintenance, but they allowed me to do things I could have never done on the CRM (Eg Jumps like the one in my signature, the big tabletop at Shidoki MX course in Fukushima-ken on the '01 CR). 4strokes back then were big and heavy and I never thought twice about owning one. Technology has changed drastically over the past 10 years, allowing much lighter and nimble 4strokes, which are only slightly heavier than equivalent 2smokes. But your right, maintenance can be expensive if you're not going to do it yourself...
    At the end of the day I'm just out to have low-cost fun and my real limit is my ability and lack of willingness to take too much risk. That's why yesterday's technology still suits me fine.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    1,592

    Default How about the Honda XR600R?

    Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    At the end of the day I'm just out to have low-cost fun and my real limit is my ability and lack of willingness to take too much risk. That's why yesterday's technology still suits me fine.
    The XR600R sounds perfect for you then :-) Wonder how much they go for?

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Down by the river
    Posts
    17,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    The XR600R sounds perfect for you then :-)
    I know it's easy to forget given my larger than life presence, but I'm short.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    1,592

    Default How about the Honda XR600R?

    Just fit an electric center stand off a BMW K1200LT. Sorted...

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Down by the river
    Posts
    17,155

    Default

    Thinking about getting new riding boots.


  8. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    1,592

    Default How about the Honda XR600R?

    Practical and subtle. Think you should get them...

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    Another completely different option, which would be totally at home in the type of terrain we did last weekend at Akeno, is the KTM 350 Freeride. I know a couple of people who ride them and really like them. The engine is detuned (compared to the 350 EXC), but they are very light (99.5kg) and easy to handle. One thing to note though is the gas tank is very small (5.5 l) so you need to keep an eye on your fuel level. Regarding the engine tune, apparently it is relatively easy to uncork them by changing the airfilter assembly and changing the map to an unrestricted version (talk nicely to your dealer)...

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Down by the river
    Posts
    17,155

    Default

    I would go for the 2smoke 250 Freeride. Looks fun.





    But will settle for the poor man's version.


  11. #51

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Down by the river
    Posts
    17,155

    Default

    Even more impressive...


  13. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Seto, Aichi
    Posts
    2,408

    Default

    Some lolz for the boys




    Yamaha Vino 50cc (Sold), Honda Transalp 400V (Sold), Honda CB400 Super Bol D'or (Sold), Yamaha Serow XT225WE (Sold), 2005 Beta Rev 3 (Current) 2015 Yamaha Serow XT250 (Current)

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    2,414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    My CRM250 was a wheelie beast. First gear was too violent, had to use 2nd gear to keep from flipping. Did everything on it from offroading to circuit riding to touring Hokkaido. It had a lot of power and was a fun bike to ride. One of its virtues was that it always crashed well with little or no damage.

    In motard guise:




    Looks like a great bike. Why did you sell it?
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S


  15. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Down by the river
    Posts
    17,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    Looks like a great bike. Why did you sell it?
    I did some rindo touring in Hokkaido on it and decided I wanted a DP with greater tank range. The CRM had about a 180km max range and a bigger tank wasn't available.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    2,414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    a bigger tank wasn't available.
    Is it now?
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S


  17. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Down by the river
    Posts
    17,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    Is it now?
    No, because it was a Japan only model it didn't get any attention from the big tank makers.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    2,414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    No, because it was a Japan only model it didn't get any attention from the big tank makers.
    With some modding (not sure how much), a CR500 big tank (maybe IMS?) can be fitted. Source: http://www.geocities.jp/crm250ar_website/faq/q6.html

    Would you have kept the CRM had you then found a big tank for it?
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S


  19. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Down by the river
    Posts
    17,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    With some modding (not sure how much), a CR500 big tank (maybe IMS?) can be fitted. Source: http://www.geocities.jp/crm250ar_website/faq/q6.html

    Would you have kept the CRM had you then found a big tank for it?
    Definitely, fuel range was about the only downside of that bike for me. Fast and fun, and cheap to run.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •