Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XR250R Mod thread

Default XR250R Mod thread

Will post up some mods i do on my trusty XR250R.

Started off with a dyno run ( stock ) to have a reference. 18.77rwhp

Installed RSV header ( nice ) and FMF pipe to free up the exhaust. Open up the air box by removing the rubber snorkel.
    Not jetted yet, so expected little in terms of gains, but was surprised at how lean it go. Seriously lean, like piston melting lean.
    17:1 when it should be 13:1 or lower. Just 1 run so as not to damage the engine.

Pic of the RSV header. Pure art!

FMF muffler ( not that it muffle's much )

Removed the rear rack ( heavy ) and installed a rack with built in pannier support. The
    larger frame actually weighs less than the rack i took off, which seems made of solid steel rod.
    Will post a pic once the bike is out of the dyno room.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post

Removed the rear rack ( heavy ) and installed a rack with built in pannier support. The
    larger frame actually weighs less than the rack i took off, which seems made of solid steel rod.
    Will post a pic once the bike is out of the dyno room.
    Is that the Mmoto rack?

http://www.mmotoparts.com/product/wh...or-honda-xr250

Jav- How did you monitor the AF ratio? Did you weld a threaded bung on to the header for a wide band O2 sensor, or some other method (long probe down the silencer)?

Also did you swap the rear tire out for a smooth road tire for the dyno runs?

If you're looking for some soft panniers, I really like the Ortlieb's I've got. They were about as big as I could find... technically they stick out a little more than is legal in Japan (I think by about 10cm?), but I've seen plenty of other tourers with even more ungainly loads, don't think it's an issue. Material is very tough and they're rainproof!

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    Is that the Mmoto rack?
    Yes. The rack itself is nice and light, but sturdy. The down side was no install instructions,
    no spacers or bolts, so had to scrounge around for the parts to mount it. Otherwise am happy with
    the weight loss and added luggage toting ability.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    Jav- How did you monitor the AF ratio? Did you weld a threaded bung on to the header for a wide band O2 sensor, or some other method (long probe down the silencer)?
    Also did you swap the rear tire out for a smooth road tire for the dyno runs?
    Mark,

Tube up the exhaust to the headers. Muffler is straight through. But we also have Dynojet bungs that
    are easy to install. Basically drill a hole, insert the bung and crimp into position. They are like rivets
    that are threaded on the inside. Then a special connection attaches to the bung and to the dyno O2 sensor.

I am running D605's and on the grippy barrel and with about 20hp, there is little chance of slip. So I do not
    think there is much error in the charts. Might try a street tire on the rear when i am finished and see if there i
    any difference, but I suspect nothing other than the smoothness of the graph.

Quote Originally Posted by ethics_gradient View Post
    If you're looking for some soft panniers, I really like the Ortlieb's I've got. They were about as big as I could find... technically they stick out a little more than is legal in Japan (I think by about 10cm?), but I've seen plenty of other tourers with even more ungainly loads, don't think it's an issue. Material is very tough and they're rainproof!
    Have one of their rack packs and it is awesome. Thanks for the recommendation, will probably get some when
    later this year.

Mark,

Tube up the exhaust to the headers. Muffler is straight through. But we also have Dynojet bungs that
    are easy to install. Basically drill a hole, insert the bung and crimp into position. They are like rivets
    that are threaded on the inside. Then a special connection attaches to the bung and to the dyno O2 sensor.
    Thanks for the extra explanation and details. Do you have a photo of one of the Dynojet crimp bungs? Are they M18 thread?

Yes. The rack itself is nice and light, but sturdy. The down side was no install instructions,
    no spacers or bolts, so had to scrounge around for the parts to mount it. Otherwise am happy with
    the weight loss and added luggage toting ability.
    Odd that he left those out, might have something to do with his shop being in the heart of eastern Ukraine where the shit is hitting the fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    Odd that he left those out, might have something to do with his shop being in the heart of eastern Ukraine where the shit is hitting the fan.

Yep. The fact that the box was sitting in my storage long before Heil Putin was invading Crimea is surely irrelevant.

Yep. The fact that the box was sitting in my storage long before Heil Putin was invading Crimea is surely irrelevant.
    OK I didn't realize you had decided to keep the XR250 that long ago....

Sounds like sloppy packing in that case. Andriy would send them if you still want the parts. Probably a good idea to let him know they were missing so he can improve the QC. When JK and I got ours, all the parts were included....

Had you considered the Giant Loop Coyote..?
    ...speak softly and pack an obscenely large hammer...

love my ortliebs. i have been using them for years on the DRZ with just a heat shield on the muffler and no side racks. i am hoping my new AltRider Hemisphere Saddlebag will arrive by next Friday morning for my GW trip. they were designed by the same guy that did the giant loop bags but with some big improvements such as being WATERPROOF.

Quote Originally Posted by haildamage View Post
    love my ortliebs. i have been using them for years on the DRZ with just a heat shield on the muffler and no side racks. i am hoping my new AltRider Hemisphere Saddlebag will arrive by next Friday morning for my GW trip. they were designed by the same guy that did the giant loop bags but with some big improvements such as being WATERPROOF.
    I think the new Giant Loop bags are waterproof...according to their website...? They are pricey.
    ...speak softly and pack an obscenely large hammer...

Jav, are you planning to ride the XR in Hokkaido in September?
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Quote Originally Posted by DDT Rider View Post
    I think the new Giant Loop bags are waterproof...according to their website...? They are pricey.
    indeed, their solution to the waterproofing problem as an after thought is to include a "set of 3 roll-top 100% waterproof fitted Dry Pod liners" . the problem is that: 1. using a separate dry bag will reduce the capacity of the bag as the dry bag also takes up space. 2. it is more of a pfaff to pack (and unpack) the dry bags first.

lots of people also complain about the zipper being a PITA to open and close on the GL bags.

the giant loops were a very interesting and innovative product. I wonder why the designer went over to a different company for the new 'improved' design. I bet GL is pretty worried about the new altrider system.

the new altrider bags have yet to prove themselves, so we will see if they are actually better in reality. from the looks of the system, it is really cool that you can pull the U shaped bag out of the 'holsters' and carry it to camp. then you still have the 'holsters' on the bike to act as open top saddle bags to carry your day ride gear and/or your shopping back to camp. they also have external pockets for things you want easy access to like tools, water bottles, etc. it is a one waterproof roll top U shaped bag design that should be a lot easier to pack and unpack.

I recommend taking a hard look at these before deciding to go GL. hopefully mine will arrive in time to test out next week and I can do a review. both of these luggage systems are expensive!

sorry for the hijack jav, feel free to move the bags discussion to a new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by haildamage View Post
    indeed, their solution to the waterproofing problem as an after thought is to include a "set of 3 roll-top 100% waterproof fitted Dry Pod liners" . the problem is that: 1. using a separate dry bag will reduce the capacity of the bag as the dry bag also takes up space. 2. it is more of a pfaff to pack (and unpack) the dry bags first.
    That's what I thought, and I was about to post essentially the same comment as you. But digging into the issue a bit, it seems that starting with the 2014 product line, the OUTER bags themselves are now waterproof. They still also come with waterproof inner pods in some cases, and this is indeed very confusingly presented on the GL website.

UPDATE: Oops, no. You are absolutely right, Haildamage. Told you it was confusing. Here's the smoking gun from a GL rep on ADVrider:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=37

Our primary goal was to make the Great Basin Saddlebag 100% waterproof for the 2014 season by including with the purchase price a set of seam-sealed roll top Dry Pods - at a lower cost than it was to buy them as an optional accessory last year. (The Coyote Saddlebag also includes a set of 3 Dry Pods for 2014, our Siskiyou Panniers have included 2 Dry Pods since their introduction a year ago.)
    Hmm... seems kind of sneaky to advertise a bag as waterproof when what you really mean is that you give people a waterproof bag to put inside it.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

I second the Ortlieb recommendation. Waterproof, strong (I hauled my OEM TDM mufflers in them), and can hold a lot.

Jav- Did you finish re-jetting the XR? Any update?