Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Dunlop AT81 Offroad Tire

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    1,592

    Default Dunlop AT81 Offroad Tire

    I'm going to be doing an offroad race next week (Asama GP6- May 4) so decided to get some offroad only tires (non highway approved). Following some research regarding what's currently available and reading various reviews, I decided to give the relatively new Dunlop AT81 tires a go. These reportedly work very well with the Tubliss system at low pressure as they have stiff sidewalls and a softer center section. They are intended to be an all round offroad tire, suitable for use in any conditions. I purchased them online from a store in Rakuten for 14,433 yen delivered. I'll let you know my impressions of how they perform after the race.

    Front AT81 (90/90-21)


    Rear AT81 (120/90-18)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    2,406

    Default

    Cool. Isn't a 120 rear kinda small for your 500?
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    1,592

    Default Dunlop AT81 Offroad Tire

    The 120/90 is the largest size offered and the actual width of the rear appears to be a little over 130 and not that different from the 140/80 MT21 I usually use. Don't think there will be a problem, especially as the center section of the tire is very compliant and will offer a large contact patch at low pressure...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sasazuka, Tokyo
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Mark,

    How is the off road racing scene here? Different size bikes race together or in different classes?
    I have a full MFJ roadracing license but I am not sure if it is ok for enduro racing.

    If I end up getting a proper enduro bike I would be interested in doing some lower level racing. Especially interested in longer races that seems to keep the speeds at sub MX pace.
    If it wasn't for the Twistybutt ride I would join you just to watch the race.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Japanviking View Post
    Mark,

    How is the off road racing scene here? Different size bikes race together or in different classes?
    I have a full MFJ roadracing license but I am not sure if it is ok for enduro racing.

    If I end up getting a proper enduro bike I would be interested in doing some lower level racing. Especially interested in longer races that seems to keep the speeds at sub MX pace.
    If it wasn't for the Twistybutt ride I would join you just to watch the race.
    The enduro races I'm aware of do not require MFJ membership, or license. The Asama GP6 (60 min hare-scramble) has 4 classes (Expert, Intermediate, Sub-intermediate, Beginner). There are no restrictions on engine displacement in the classes. I haven't raced for about 10 years and never raced this particular race so I'm entered in the sub-intermediate class. It should be a fun race:


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sasazuka, Tokyo
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Too bad the date doesn't work for me....might have lined up the Djebel at the start line otherwise.

    Looks like a really fun race!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Japanviking View Post
    Too bad the date doesn't work for me....might have lined up the Djebel at the start line otherwise.

    Looks like a really fun race!
    Yes, the Djebel would be the obvious tool of choice for this race. Not sure why you don't see more people racing them. I only have one offroad bike so I'll have to stick with my 500 EXC

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Down by the river
    Posts
    17,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    Yes, the Djebel would be the obvious tool of choice for this race. Not sure why you don't see more people racing them.
    Lack of ability.

    You can bet that if a good rider on a Djebel showed up he'd pass a lot of KTM poseurs who think they can buy their way onto the podium by spending 1.5 million on a race ready bike.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    Lack of ability.

    You can bet that if a good rider on a Djebel showed up he'd pass a lot of KTM poseurs who think they can buy their way onto the podium by spending 1.5 million on a race ready bike.
    Challenge accepted. You and me, Tamagawa, dawn tomorrow. No excuses. May the best rider win...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    Challenge accepted. You and me, Tamagawa, dawn tomorrow. No excuses. May the best rider win...
    Hang on, we already settled this. You were way behind me on every trail last weekend in Chiba...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Down by the river
    Posts
    17,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    Challenge accepted. You and me, Tamagawa, dawn tomorrow. No excuses. May the best rider win...
    I said a "good rider" on a Djebel, that excludes me....

    Btw, I didn't mean every KTM rider is a poseur and I wasn't thinking of you when I typed that....

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    I said a "good rider" on a Djebel, that excludes me....

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Down by the river
    Posts
    17,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    Just because I outwheelie you at every opportunity on public roads, doesn't mean you have to call me bad names....

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    1,592

    Default Dunlop AT81 Offroad Tire

    I'll give you that one... :-)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    1,592

    Default Dunlop AT81 Offroad Tire

    Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    The 120/90 is the largest size offered and the actual width of the rear appears to be a little over 130 and not that different from the 140/80 MT21 I usually use. Don't think there will be a problem, especially as the center section of the tire is very compliant and will offer a large contact patch at low pressure...
    I fitted the AT81 tires on my bike last night. The rear 120/90 measures 134mm which is almost the same as an MT21 140/80 which measures 139mm.

    I also fitted a Tubliss system in the front. I fitted the rear Tubliss 4 weeks ago a really like the extra traction when using low tire pressure (5 psi in the rear works well offroad with an MT21). I'll get to use the AT81s this weekend for the first time at Asama...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    1,592

    Default Dunlop AT81 Offroad Tire

    The AT81 tires worked great at the Asama offroad race. The dirt is mostly sandy (ground up volcanic ash) and the tires gave me great traction and control. I rode in the C-Class (16 riders), started last on the grid and finished 3rd. Pretty pleased as I haven't raced for over 10 years. It's a fun course with high speed sandy sections and woods. Here's a video of the first lap:
    Last edited by Markw; 05-05-14 at 07:17 PM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Sagamihara, Kanagawa
    Posts
    898

    Default Dunlop AT81 Offroad Tire

    Right on Mark...congrats on the return and outcome!
    ...speak softly and pack an obscenely large hammer...

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Seto, Aichi
    Posts
    2,406

    Default

    Fantastic stuff Mark. I thoroughly enjoyed watching that.


    Yamaha Vino 50cc (Sold), Honda Transalp 400V (Sold), Honda CB400 Super Bol D'or (Sold), Yamaha Serow XT225WE (Sold), 2005 Beta Rev 3 (Current) 2015 Yamaha Serow XT250 (Current)

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Down by the river
    Posts
    17,155

    Default

    Congrats on the podium finish Mark. Like how you showed that Sherpa who's boss at 6:30!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    1,592

    Default Dunlop AT81 Offroad Tire

    Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    Congrats on the podium finish Mark. Like how you showed that Sherpa who's boss at 6:30!
    Yes, a Sherpa and a YZ125 do look very similar. The only reason I knew it's a YZ is the 19" rear :-)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •