Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doing my Own Shaken in Tokyo

Default Doing my Own Shaken in Tokyo

Hi Guys Need to get the EXC shakend this Month. My KTM shop quoted 80,000 ~100,000 to get it done!! Jesus So will try myself. Just need to understand what they test for Someone mentioned the headlight beam height is critical. Any heads up before I try this myself would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by Neilb View Post
    Hi Guys Need to get the EXC shakend this Month. My KTM shop quoted 80,000 ~100,000 to get it done!! Jesus So will try myself. Just need to understand what they test for Someone mentioned the headlight beam height is critical. Any heads up before I try this myself would be great!
    I'm assuming that the price you quoted includes the labor to return the bike to stock to pass the shaken and then switch it back to it's current state.

I never done bike shaken myself, but I believe they test exhaust emissions and noise level. As such you'll need to return the exhaust system to stock and possibly lean the jetting out a bit. Lighting wise, I've heard they're anal about the headlight aiming. Also the rear indicators you have mounted on the fender are too close together and will not pass. You also do not have a clear light which illuminates the number plate, or a rear reflector. Would be easiest to re-mount the original rear number plate assembly

Neil,

It's very easy (done about 10) and comes in at around 20,000 yen, most of which is for the insurance (jibaiseki).

Look here for tips on headlight adjustment, it is critical http://www.gaijinriders.com/showthre...ht=user+shaken

Apart from the other obvious things (lighting, emissions, sound, indicators, horn, brakes), make sure there is a gear pattern sticker.

You can book a test online. When you go down, you need to register at one desk, buy the documents at another, buy insurance at another office, fill out the forms (or pay for it to be done), go back to the reception desk for a document check, then proceed to the test. If you start early it gives you time for a few attempts in case any small problems do arise.

And don't forget to take along your receipt for vehicle tax!

Although it's called a user test, some ojisan on the test line will always help out and someone in line may have tools/advice if required
    Last edited by G-Man; 02-06-14 at 03:54 PM.
    "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then give up. There's no use in being a damn fool about it."
    W.C. Fields

Never done shaken myself, but one other thing I heard previously: Give the bike a good wash. They see a dirty bike, they assume it's not well maintained and automatically want to fail it. Even if it's a dirt bike
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    Never done shaken myself, but one other thing I heard previously: Give the bike a good wash. They see a dirty bike, they assume it's not well maintained and automatically want to fail it. Even if it's a dirt bike
    Cheers Guys, Mark I agree I need to put back on the original number plate holder and indicators. I have some emission stuff which I need to figure out how to re attach and then leaning out the main jet seems like a good piece of advice :-)

Cheers Guys, Mark I agree I need to put back on the original number plate holder and indicators. I have some emission stuff which I need to figure out how to re attach and then leaning out the main jet seems like a good piece of advice :-)
    Emissions test is done at idle so the main jet should not be a big problem. If the slow jet was not
    changed, is possibly not a problem. Usually there is a business near the shaken office, that can correct
    the headlight aim. In Yamanashi they only charge if they have to adjust, so no need to adjust then no fee.
    The fee is only like 500 en or 1000 en out here, so not a big deal anyway.

There is a minimum distance on indicators, so that plus exhaust plus getting the headlight set should go a long
    way to having the bike pass. Good luck.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

I always do user shaken on my bikes, in and out in under an hour at about 21,000 yen including the fee to pay them to fill out the documentation. Put the muffler back to stock, get the headlight aimed ahead of time or bring the necessary tools to DIY just in case, and you should be fine. Btw, sometimes just sitting on the bike a certain way will correct the high beam height enough to pass.

Neilb- Any update?

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    I always do user shaken on my bikes, in and out in under an hour at about 21,000 yen including the fee to pay them to fill out the documentation. Put the muffler back to stock, get the headlight aimed ahead of time or bring the necessary tools to DIY just in case, and you should be fine. Btw, sometimes just sitting on the bike a certain way will correct the high beam height enough to pass.
    Are you sure on that price? My understanding is that it is around 28,000 for shaken on a big bike.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

OK so failed the Shaken. The major issue was that my KTM headlight was no where near bright enough. It pushed out 1800 and needed to be 4000. So it seems that the KTM shop has a special bright headlight that it uses for the shaken! also failed CO2 pulled out the sensor a bit to give it a nicer sniff of fresh air but failed 3 times. Seems there may also be some sneaky technique to this also. Everything else the bike flew through. Ah well you live and learn

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    Are you sure on that price?
    Yup, that's about what I paid for shaken the past three times (RK, TDM, GS) at the shakenjo in Yokohama.

I always do my own Shakens. Bike is about 21,000 Yen, but there are also documentation charges if you get the local service to do all the form filling for you + the Pre-test charge to check headlight aim, etc. which would take it to around 28,000 Yen, roughly.

I've only failed headlight intensity (In the pre-shaken test centre next door) when I had a blue tint bulb in (Which makes for white light). They replaced with clear and the intensity doubled!
    I'd be surprised if the OEM headlight isn't bright enough to meet legal requirements, but there's always a first. I am guessing if KTM uses another headlight it's probably with an HID kit, which shouldn't be too expensive to buy on say Yahoo auctions.

As for emissions: Is your air filter clean? Does your bike have fuel injection? and if so - a lambda sensor (Most cars do, but not sure about bikes - my SP2 doesn't...)?
    If the filter is dirty, just remove it for the test. To make a lambda sensor (narrow band sensor) work better, take it out - spray with brake cleaner and heat it up with a blow torch to burn away carbon deposits. That should help improve emissions. If it's got a carb on it, then you just need to adjust the idle mixture screw to change emissions at idle.

It's worth learning to do your own shaken. It's very easy once you know how and you'll save a lot in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Newera View Post
    I always do my own Shakens. Bike is about 21,000 Yen, but there are also documentation charges if you get the local service to do all the form filling for you + the Pre-test charge to check headlight aim, etc. which would take it to around 28,000 Yen, roughly.
    The price I paid included getting the documents filled out. A pre-shaken headlight check, which I don't generally do, is about 1,000 yen.

Those blue bulbs are a complete waste of money. They look bright but actually are just filtering out light, much like sunglasses do. No surprise it failed....

So ... this AM I did user shaken for my 2.49 liter standard class Bongo Friendee.

-- 900 yen to fill out the documents for shaken/2500 yen if you're doing a name change.

-- 2,500 yen to adjust my headlights. Failed once and went to a nearby shop do get it done.

-- jibaiseki costs for cars have risen. This time I paid ¥27,840, 2 years ago I paid ¥24,950 and 4 years ago I paid ¥22,470.

Total cost for doing user shaken was ¥76,240.
    Last edited by Twinrider; 12-06-14 at 02:17 PM.

I've never paid to have shaken done. I always do it myself and it's always been less than 20,000 JPY for a 600cc single. My challenge has always been the headlight alignment. All the bikes that I've had done have vertical adjusters but not horizontal. I end up leaning on the bars which help force the light towards the target.
    KTM 690 E; DoD#1458

Quote Originally Posted by gkanai View Post
    I've never paid to have shaken done. I always do it myself and it's always been less than 20,000 JPY for a 600cc single. My challenge has always been the headlight alignment. All the bikes that I've had done have vertical adjusters but not horizontal. I end up leaning on the bars which help force the light towards the target.
    Sounds the same as me with the difference being that you can fill out the forms yourself.

OK so failed the Shaken. The major issue was that my KTM headlight was no where near bright enough. It pushed out 1800 and needed to be 4000. So it seems that the KTM shop has a special bright headlight that it uses for the shaken!
    There's a few things you can do.

1) You can wire the headlight to the battery directly (vs. going through the regular wiring loom.) This ensures no power/brightness loss. I did this on my old 2003 640 LC4. This helped me pass Shaken without anything other than the OEM light/housing.

2) You should also be revving the engine during the headlight test to help generate more light. This is also key to passing the brightness test.
    KTM 690 E; DoD#1458

I'm illiterate in Japanese and have done the last bike shaken myself too. Failed the first pass on the emissions test, but since my bike is injected I simply zeroed out the CO2 settings through the dash control panel, well actually tweaked them down to -10, and passed that test no problem.

Samezu sucks for the headlight test, their equipment is old crap and is not HID friendly, at least not with some bikes due to how their reflectors are designed. I had the adjustment done across the road and it passed there (their machine is a bit newer) but apparently the beam wasn't hitting the right spot on the Samezu machine (no matter how I leaned on the bars). This is of course typical JP BS since my HIDs are around 2.5x brighter than the Halogen H4 bulbs.

As was mentioned, since your bike is using a carb, tweak that air/fuel screw way out, it doesn't matter if the bike runs crappy. I had the CO2 settings back to normal (+10 across the board) before I even pulled out of the Samezu parking lot And the stock pipes came off an hour later.

Don't get discouraged Niel, you can go back once you've "fixed" the issues, you only need to pay the small test fee again.
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

I got the shakken done on my Buell XB12R this morning. I stopped by the Shakken Center in Nagano City yesterday to make the reservation and get the forms so I could have them filled out before going in.
    The guy there told me there was no need to make the appointment and just go in and see him anytime during the day as its not busy at this time of year.

So arrived at 11:00 this morning, decided to pay the lady ¥890 to fill the forms out for me, chose to get 25 months jibaiseki which cost ¥14,010(could have gotten 24 months jibaiseki(¥13,640) but I understand that if your bike fails the test and you have to come back another day for the retest then you would have to buy another months jibaiseki(¥5000) to cover the shaken period of two years.
    Paid ¥30 for a form, ¥1700 for the test and ¥3800 for tax. Total ¥20430.
    I could have risked it and only bought 24 months jibaiseki and filled the forms out myself and it would have cost a total of ¥19170.

Ive done shakken on at least a couple of hundred cars but this was my first time doing a bike so a bit unsure but just watched the guy in front of me and was pretty straight forward.
    I failed the inspection on the highbeam for the headlight and they told me it was set too high. I took a guess and screwed the adustment one and a half turns and passed the test on the second time.

In total it took just under an hour as I had to wait for the forms to be filled out and then take the bike through inspection twice because of the headlight so overall was quick, easy and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by KRUSTY View Post
    I got the shakken done on my Buell XB12R this morning. I stopped by the Shakken Center in Nagano City yesterday to make the reservation and get the forms so I could have them filled out before going in.
    The guy there told me there was no need to make the appointment and just go in and see him anytime during the day as its not busy at this time of year.

So arrived at 11:00 this morning, decided to pay the lady ¥890 to fill the forms out for me, chose to get 25 months jibaiseki which cost ¥14,010(could have gotten 24 months jibaiseki(¥13,640) but I understand that if your bike fails the test and you have to come back another day for the retest then you would have to buy another months jibaiseki(¥5000) to cover the shaken period of two years.
    Paid ¥30 for a form, ¥1700 for the test and ¥3800 for tax. Total ¥20430.
    I could have risked it and only bought 24 months jibaiseki and filled the forms out myself and it would have cost a total of ¥19170.

Ive done shakken on at least a couple of hundred cars but this was my first time doing a bike so a bit unsure but just watched the guy in front of me and was pretty straight forward.
    I failed the inspection on the highbeam for the headlight and they told me it was set too high. I took a guess and screwed the adustment one and a half turns and passed the test on the second time.

In total it took just under an hour as I had to wait for the forms to be filled out and then take the bike through inspection twice because of the headlight so overall was quick, easy and cheap.
    That is great information thank you. Like you I done my own shaken on cars and this is the year I start doing it on motorcycles.
    Other than your highbeam-headlights what other things did they check your motorcycle just want to be shorter as I need to
    Next month.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph